Fractal Audio Firmware Update Thread

The Revv models are right up there with the FAS amps for plug and play fun.

Does anyone here have actual hands on experience with the REVV Generator 120 Mk III?

How did you like the amp?

How does it compare to the Fractal model?

I welcome my new dyna-cab overlords.

Still waiting on it for the FM-9.

coming-soon-see-it-soon.gif

I didn't expect to be looking forward to the Revv stuff as I am pretty much eternally stuck on Rectos and the JP. But I am looking forward to the Revv stuff.

:satan

One model in that same "high gain Mesa" vein that gets very little love is the PRS Archon, which I think sounds considerably better - for my needs - than the Helix version. Have no idea if it's more or less accurate, but I hear and feel a difference.

FAS Modern I, which is also Recto-based, is in the same vein, though I don't use it a ton.

• 100%
Reactions: JT
One model in that same "high gain Mesa" vein that gets very little love is the PRS Archon, which I think sounds considerably better - for my needs - than the Helix version. Have no idea if it's more or less accurate, but I hear and feel a difference.

FAS Modern I, which is also Recto-based, is in the same vein, though I don't use it a ton.
There are soooooooooo many great options but I find myself just using the same two amp models 24x7 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯:chef

There are soooooooooo many great options but I find myself just using the same two amp models 24x7 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯:chef

Nothing wrong with that. The temptation of that huge Fractal amp and IR library is to keep trying combinations in search of "better" until you realize you're barely playing and practicing. My main rhythm sound for the foreseeable future is the Cameron CCV factory patch with the Treble and Presence cranked up. For cleans, funk, mid-gain, and everything in between, I'm jumping between factory Fender patches.

Nothing wrong with that. The temptation of that huge Fractal amp and IR library is to keep trying combinations in search of "better" until you realize you're barely playing and practicing. My main rhythm sound for the foreseeable future is the Cameron CCV factory patch with the Treble and Presence cranked up. For cleans, funk, mid-gain, and everything in between, I'm jumping between factory Fender patches.
This is going to sound lazy af; but I have a template. I occasionally pop a new amp block in there from time to time; think to myself gee that's too quiet, turn it up and play for a bit then go to the next preset without saving thereby keeping what I already have intact:bag:facepalm:rofl

This is going to sound lazy af; but I have a template. I occasionally pop a new amp block in there from time to time; think to myself gee that's too quiet, turn it up and play for a bit then go to the next preset without saving thereby keeping what I already have intact:bag:facepalm:rofl

Yeah, I really just gotta sit down with FM9 Edit and consolidate the CCV and Fender stuff into one patch, then I'm pretty much done. I do love to mess with the wealth of esoteric, FX-driven factory patches for sound design-y stuff I'm doing with this electronic-based project I'm working on.

Aside from that, tho....I could probably collapse everything I'm doing to 1-2 patches

I use same method except sometimes I try out like a new amp but accidentally hit save and screw up my main preset
I have saved the main preset now in 3 or four places and renamed appropriately
It’s like Main1, Main1 Copy
Not Again DumbA$$ 1

but accidentally hit save and screw up my main preset
Yeah, but the Save execution is a 3-step process on the Axe, so doesn't that give you a chance to remember to switch to an empty slot before you hit Enter the 2nd time?

Or is it a different process using the editor? (I don't think I've ever saved a preset using it.)

Yup. There is a big SAVE in red that goes active when a parameter has been changed. Tapping
with a mouse on it once it saves automatically any changes made to that Preset.

For myself I'm just a noob so I only do covers, so what ever song I want to cover I just look up the appropriate song correct gear from that era/album and go from there, I may try a few different similar type amps to get there, same with drives and some effects, Will I ever use the 240 plus amps in the fractal? certainly not, but its nice to know they are there, I think that all those amps and effects are just to cater to all the various owners who have different needs
what really counts in the Fractal is the tones, the flexibility, eco system and the community

I finally plugged in the AxeFX and updated today to try the dyna cabs. Pretty cool, I’m a fan.

I really dig having 1x12 Bad Cat and /13 cabs!

Didn’t spend much time with the new Revv models. First impression - red = meh, but purple is pretty cool. I probably won’t use them much, but could be nice to have.

I held out for the final release of the FW due to not wanting to play the beta game, I'd rather spend my time playing! That said, being a total "know nothing" individual for micing a guitar cab, I had a sweet new Dyna Cab set up in about 10 minutes that I thought sounded better than any other cabs I had previously tried, and I had tried dozens if not hundreds. I was very happy with the sounds I was getting with the previous IR's, but after playing with the Dyna Cabs, I am even happier, even after A/B comparison of my old chosen IR's with the new Dyna's. That said, I did not stray far at all from my previous IR's. I was using 4x12 Rumble-12L RNR B for my left channel and the 4x12 TV RNR B Rev for my right channel. I am now using the Dyna 4x12 Rumble EV12L on left and 4x12 1960TV for right. Using Ribbon mic on both and Pan is set to 4, Position set to 2 on each one! Lovin' it!!!

I think one thing people constantly do is get stuck in the attempts to replicate another players or amps sound rather than simply trying to make the best sound they possibly can with this technology. I find it best to focus on getting the best sound I can, regardless of who or what it may or may not sound like ;~)) Same thing with my old sound, I was very happy with it (it was not broke in any way), but the new technology allowed me to make it even better IMO!!! Thanks to Cliff and all involved in the FAS line and it's improvements, never been happier with a piece of gear (other than my PRSi)!

the new Revv models. First impression - red = meh, but purple is pretty cool.
I substituted a few of them into my Dyna Cab-edited, Petrucci Rig preset, and tbh, I don't hear much of a difference through headphones, from the JPIIC, or between the 3 examples I tried. But then again, if the tone is good, I don't pay much attention to the variations that I imagine might be more pronounced through proper speakers, at loud volumes. I just get to playing.

I substituted a few of them into my Dyna Cab-edited, Petrucci Rig preset, and tbh, I don't hear much of a difference through headphones, from the JPIIC, or between the 3 examples I tried. But then again, if the tone is good, I don't pay much attention to the variations that I imagine might be more pronounced through proper speakers, at loud volumes. I just get to playing.

I think I’m starting to adopt Yngwie’s philosophy when it comes to amp models: why would I want an amp that sounds just like a Marshall when I’ve got an actual Marshall? :grin

The Revv models are cool and pretty easy to get a good high gain sound out of them, but otherwise they don't really do anything you can't get out of a variety of models already in the unit. This is why I'm not that interested in "modeler X should have this and that amp model!" stuff. I got more variety of 4 different high gain amps the other day just by swapping between cabs.

Dyna-Cabs are the real deal though. Compared to the factory IRs, it's so much easier to get a great sound out of them when there's so much less browsing required. There will be learning curves for people who have never miced a real cab but in the virtual realm you can safely just try stuff.

For someone new to this approach, I recommend this ML Sound Lab video. The MIKKO plugin works similar to the Fractal and Line6 cab editing, with the exception that you can adjust the position around the speaker as well as the mic angle rather than just horizontal position and distance. Plus a few other shenanigans.

Back