Fractal Audio Firmware Update Thread

The Revv models are cool and pretty easy to get a good high gain sound out of them, but otherwise they don't really do anything you can't get out of a variety of models already in the unit. This is why I'm not that interested in "modeler X should have this and that amp model!" stuff. I got more variety of 4 different high gain amps the other day just by swapping between cabs.

Dyna-Cabs are the real deal though. Compared to the factory IRs, it's so much easier to get a great sound out of them when there's so much less browsing required. There will be learning curves for people who have never miced a real cab but in the virtual realm you can safely just try stuff.

For someone new to this approach, I recommend this ML Sound Lab video. The MIKKO plugin works similar to the Fractal and Line6 cab editing, with the exception that you can adjust the position around the speaker as well as the mic angle rather than just horizontal position and distance. Plus a few other shenanigans.

I am excited for York Audio to get in the game , A fractal admin mentioned a few packs were almost going to Beta so I am hoping maybeJustin’s contribution will be in there

IWould love the Mesa 212 and Bogner as he already had those impedance curves in there
And a pre rola GB 25s

I am excited for York Audio to get in the game , A fractal admin mentioned a few packs were almost going to Beta so I am hoping maybeJustin’s contribution will be in there

IWould love the Mesa 212 and Bogner as he already had those impedance curves in there
And a pre rola GB 25s

Did York help with the DynaCab stuff or is he releasing something on the Fractal platform?

Did York help with the DynaCab stuff or is he releasing something on the Fractal platform?

“As far as Fractal DynaCabs go, I think it’s great! I spoke with them last week and they want some York Audio DynaCabs, so we’re in the process of planning to link up and create some goodies. I’m excited about it because I still get to use my own gear, so it’ll be like getting a YA pack with the same high level of quality standards and being able to move the mics where you want. The capture granularity is remarkably detailed and takes about four hours to capture a single microphone, so I have to be extra particular about which microphones and outboard gear to use for each cab.”

—Justin York (June 14, 2023)

I wasn’t excited about Dyna Cabs because I never use the stock cabs and I’m pretty set with my fav IRs. But I was surprised when I tried them yesterday.

I haven’t spent a lot of time yet and maybe it’s just confirmation bias, but it seemed like there was more of a synergy between some of the amp models and the new dyna cabs than what I’ve heard before.

The /13 models have never sounded better to me than through the new /13 cab

Last edited:
I wasn’t excited about Dyna Cabs because I never use the stock cabs and I’m pretty set with my fav IRs. But I was surprised when I tried them yesterday.

I haven’t spent a lot of time yet and maybe it’s just confirmation bias, but it seemed like there was more of a synergy between some of the amp models and the new dyna cabs than what I’ve heard before.

I love the Dyna Cabs. It's hard for me to go back to IRs. I think it adds much more flexibility but also clarity....maybe I just have the wrong IRs lol

Part of it can be that the Dyna-Cabs can sync with the Amp block speaker impedance curves so if you choose a cab in the Cab block, the matching speaker impedance curve gets set on the Amp block.

If I am the one moving the virtual mic in the AxeFx, aside from any mojo in Justin's specific cab; what does the 'Yorkness' of the pack have to do with the results?

IMHO, the value add from people like York are in their curated mixes of mics and positions. I know some cabs have 'mojo' but there are lots of good cabs to mic.

I appreciate the quality of Justin's IRs but if this DynaCab thing works as it is intended, it takes a lot of the IR provider's value out of the equation in my mind...

If I am the one moving the virtual mic in the AxeFx, aside from any mojo in Justin's specific cab; what does the 'Yorkness' of the pack have to do with the results?

IMHO, the value add from people like York are in their curated mixes of mics and positions. I know some cabs have 'mojo' but there are lots of good cabs to mic.

I appreciate the quality of Justin's IRs but if this DynaCab thing works as it is intended, it takes a lot of the IR provider's value out of the equation in my mind...
Great observations. I've spent 90% of my time AVOIDING IR vendor rabbit holes so "oh here's the ownhammer dyna cab pack" is pretty much instant yuck for me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cliff's ears or gtfo, imo

That’s really hard to answer at the moment , I have the FM9 so I can’t really comment on how good FAS cabs are or what cabs I would want in there
I will say that I generally prefer YA over any of the legacy cabs on offer

What 3rd party vendors may bring to the platform besides the obvious
Addl cab choices is perhaps
Different mic choices
Maybe YA offers pack with a different condenser and ribbon or Dynamic
Again without playing with Dyna cab and knowing the road map it impossible to give a clear answer

Back