Fractal Audio Firmware Update Thread

UN F*CKING REAL!!!

But I suppose also, not a very big surprise.
It’s a deliberate tactic
For instance if FAS released FM3 Turbo tomorrow and a thread was opened and people were excited
“The Others” will come into that thread and start posting inflammatory comments as soon as the thread degrades into some name calling or they find one that thing they can report then it’s closed
Or they just cause enough noise that the mods get fed up and lock it
Also does not help a couple of the mods are far from impartial
But the goal is to get other competitors threads locked or off the front page

I don't think it's that difficult to find out how many IRs are used, I could probably do that myself with an RTA and some pink noise.

Maybe you don't care about that level of micro minutia but others care, what's wrong with that? There's no need to tell others to not care about something you don't care.
Personally I find this kind of discussions the most informative and educative for me, and they often educate me on how to verify claims too and establish who did it best despite the claims. Testing and verifying things in first person is what can set you free from companies' claims actually.

Completely understand and I kind of agree with where you are coming from - there is %100 no issue at all with anyone finding these discussions informative and creative - I wasn't suggesting people shouldn't ..... my comment about "micro minutia (?)" [with a (?)] was to try and simply highlight and question - something which Gearzilla much more eloquently and ironically-for-me subsequently made - which perfectly summarized what I was trying to say.

That is to say, focusing on the color and texture and structure of "one piece of bark on one tree", complexly misses the whole point and beauty of the tree let alone the whole forest.

I.m.o ... in 2023 we are now focusing on certain "marginal extremes of differences" that are mathematically and technically kind-of-interesting, but again, i.m.h.o, have zero impact on achieving great guitar tones, and to me, it is becoming, beyond silly.

We seem to be "debating" conflicting-processes, which to me, might be great in the theoretical realm, but have zero impact on the aim of getting the best tones [for me]. Others clearly disagree and find this approach very helpful and useful ... which is, again, totally fine.

But I honestly think that "%100 less sweet-f%ck-all" of guitar players / modelling users etc.... couldn't give a "f%cking tinkers cuss" about, say, the way Fractal are doing their new IR's -vs- how L6 are doing their new IR's.

Purely by way of example, and to highlight my point, the current Fractal approach has the Cap-to-Edge and Position being adjustable in, from what I can tell, 1mm increments .... the L6 Helix is not as granular.

Does one approach produce objectively, testably better tones ...... no ........ will some "claim" one is "better" than the other ... yes.

My point though is who one earth will ever hear the difference of moving from 6.87mm from the Cap to 6.88mm from the Cap ... or Positioning from 4.32mm to 4.33mm .... sure it "looks good" on paper and "on the screen" ..... but ..... I'll leave it at that...

And as a side note, how long before we see some with "God-ears" posting that "when I moved the Cap from 7.82mm to 7.83mm my guitar problems through my "FRFR" were solved and I finally had the amp in the room tone I was always looking for for all these years".

Anyway .... that's all.

Peace to everyone.

Ben " ... apparently now a resentful colon climber ... " Ifin

Last edited:
It’s a deliberate tactic
For instance if FAS released FM3 Turbo tomorrow and a thread was opened and people were excited
“The Others” will come into that thread and start posting inflammatory comments as soon as the thread degrades into some name calling or they find one that thing they can report then it’s closed
Season 2 Famalam GIF by BBC Three

Completely understand and I kind of agree with where you are coming from - there is %100 no issue at all with anyone finding these discussions informative and creative - I wasn't suggesting people shouldn't ..... my comment about "micro minutia (?)" [with a (?)] was to try and simply highlight and question - something which Gearzilla much more eloquently and ironically-for-me subsequently made - which perfectly summarized what I was trying to say.

That is to say, focusing on the color and texture and structure of "one piece of bark on one tree", complexly misses the whole point and beauty of the tree let alone the whole forest.

I.m.o ... in 2023 we are now focusing on certain "marginal extremes of differences" that are mathematically and technically kind-of-interesting, but again, i.m.h.o, have zero impact on achieving great guitar tones, and to me, it is becoming, beyond silly.

We seem to be "debating" conflicting-processes, which to me, might be great in the theoretical realm, but have zero impact on the aim of getting the best tones [for me]. Others clearly disagree and find this approach very helpful and useful ... which is, again, totally fine.

But I honestly think that "%100 less sweet-f%ck-all" of guitar players / modelling users etc.... couldn't give a "f%cking tinkers cuss" about, say, the way Fractal are doing their new IR's -vs- how L6 are doing their new IR's.

Purely by way of example, and to highlight my point, the current Fractal approach has the Cap-to-Edge and Position being adjustable in, from what I can tell, 1mm increments .... the L6 Helix is not as granular.

Does one approach produce objectively, testably better tones ...... no ........ will some "claim" one is "better" than the other ... yes.

My point though is who one earth will ever hear the difference of moving from 6.87mm from the Cap to 6.88mm from the Cap ... or Positioning from 4.32mm to 4.33mm .... sure it "looks good" on paper and "on the screen" ..... but ..... I'll leave it at that...

And as a side note, how long before we see some with "God-ears" posting that "when I moved the Cap from 7.82mm to 7.83mm my guitar problems through my "FRFR" were solved and I finally had the amp in the room tone I was always looking for for all these years".

Anyway .... that's all.

Peace to everyone.

Which goes back to my recent FAS rant thread. Only a matter of time when someone releases a component-level modeler that has the “secret sauce” of the FAS platform with a much better user experience. I think the people who care about that micro-minutia or granular differences are of a very small percentage of players. Probably the players who spend most of their time on gear forums. Are we really supposed to believe someone like Kirk Hammett really gives a shit about that extra 1mm of adjustment? I bet my Dunlop Cry Baby he doesn’t.

Which goes back to my recent FAS rant thread. Only a matter of time when someone releases a component-level modeler that has the “secret sauce” of the FAS platform with a much better user experience. I think the people who care about that micro-minutia or granular differences are of a very small percentage of players. Probably the players who spend most of their time on gear forums. Are we really supposed to believe someone like Kirk Hammett really gives a s**t about that extra 1mm of adjustment? I bet my Dunlop Cry Baby he doesn’t.

Doesn’t matter either.

All that matters is that people who buy fractals care. And if it proves itself out to sound better to them, there’s always a group of people who will pay more for that.

Many companies are very successful because they aren’t all things to all people.

ymmv

Which goes back to my recent FAS rant thread. Only a matter of time when someone releases a component-level modeler that has the “secret sauce” of the FAS platform with a much better user experience. I think the people who care about that micro-minutia or granular differences are of a very small percentage of players. Probably the players who spend most of their time on gear forums. Are we really supposed to believe someone like Kirk Hammett really gives a s**t about that extra 1mm of adjustment? I bet my Dunlop Cry Baby he doesn’t.
:annoying

Anyway .... that's all.

Peace to everyone.

Nothing like arguing against progress.

Nothing like arguing against progress.
Ahhhh .... nope ..... .... you couldnt be more wrong ..... but oh kay ... whatever you want to believe... just trying to make hopefully constructive - and sometimes hopefully colorfully worded - comments. Nothing more nothing less.

Maybe just do us both a favor and "ignore" me.

Ahhhh .... nope ..... .... you couldnt be more wrong ..... but oh kay ... whatever you want to believe... just trying to make hopefully constructive - and sometimes hopefully colorfully worded - comments. Nothing more nothing less.

Maybe just do us both a favor and "ignore" me.
Maybe you worry about yourself, and not me.

It’s a deliberate tactic

Fractal Audio does not purchase ad space at The Gear Page, or any of its subsidiaries.

Its competitors do.

That sums up why FA doesn't get the same length of rope as those who buy ad space there do.

Arguments about the sex of angels at the Byzantine Empire are considered to be one of the clearest examples of the futility of scholastic discussion. These distractions caused Constantinople to fell to the Ottomans. Today, the scholastics vent their nonsensical dispute on the Digital & Modeling Forums :geek:
a day to remember doctor GIF by Epitaph Records

Last edited:
Back