Fractal Audio Firmware Update Thread

There are some technical differences in the implementation that aren’t difficult to ascertain.

^^^ %100 agree on this ^^^

A *well* shot IR is a *well* shot IR ..... sure each one will sound different ..... but no one person or company has the monopoly on this or the "best" way to "put them together".

Of course, how that IR is handled / treated etc.... to achieve what L6 did, what Boss did, what Fractal are now doing, and what others [A/Tube VIR] have also previously done, is going to vary from company to company .... I don't think there is anything controversial in this.

And doubtlessly, again, each one may/will claim "their way" is the best.

And to be preposterous for a moment ...... unless each company has access to all the core original files of each others' companies on their "shots", methodologies and processes and techniques etc.... or somehow have nano-reverse-engineered them all from the ground up ... which are both ridiculous things for them to have / or to do .... then all we are left with is what they each "claim".

None of them know with any degree of certainty or accuracy what/how each other company actually/exactly did what they did - again, I don't think there is anything controversial in this.

Each one no doubt uses what they think is the "best" way to "sweep" / "move" / "slide" seamlessly from IR shot to IR shot ... presuming this is the "claim" / issue (?) .... no surprise there .... do they each probably sound different ... yep ..... is one of them "the best" (?) <- who the f%ck objectively knows (?) and who the extra-f%ck can prove and show it in an A/B test for example (?) .... and do we even extra-extra-f%ck care to that level of micro minutia (?)

There's a lot a pretty f%ckin amazing sets of ears that only seem to exist is Digital Audio forums ;)

Its been stated in many posts in many forums - and I'll paraphrase..... "dont like a sound ? .... move the knobs until you do ... if it then sounds good to your ears, then it is good to your ears" - an approach I totally agree with.

Again for clarity .... i.m.o

The L6 approach sounds great and is a massive improvement to the Helix.

The BOSS approach sounds - to me- especially great and is a massive feature of the GT1000.

I have no doubt the Fractal approach will/does sound great and is a massive improvement to Fractal units.

I'll stop here.

Rant over.

Ben

PS: Let the "someone's had too much coffee today" / "take a chill pill and relax" / "you clearly don't understand what you are posting about" etc.... responses commence :)

…I don't have a good way to edit it directly using the knobs.
That's something we talked about a while back; Using the FX3 when it's not immediately in front of us is a pain. Mine sits beside me on a repurposed nightstand and to see the panel I have to lean WAAAAY over while trying to not fall out of my chair, then lean back, grab my glasses, and lean WAAAAY over again and start turning knobs.

#firstworldmodelingproblems

It is a known issue with tiny knobs
nob your a knob GIF by Gifs Lab

Yes, throwing out the legacy banks would be a HUGE workflow improvement for folks that have already sorted through the Fractal IRs and found exactly what they want...
Fractal updates stuff all the time that breaks things and requires people to adapt their presets. If this is not ok, then you can simply not update to that firmware and only do it when you have time. If the factory IRs were removed and you wanted to use them, just upload them as custom IRs.

Ideally Fractal would also add the system Helix uses where it figures out which IR is used in a preset not by its slot but by a hash generated for the IR so as long as you have the IR installed in the user bank, it would not require even updating presets.

^^^ %100 agree on this ^^^

A *well* shot IR is a *well* shot IR ..... sure each one will sound different ..... but no one person or company has the monopoly on this or the "best" way to "put them together".

Of course, how that IR is handled / treated etc.... to achieve what L6 did, what Boss did, what Fractal are now doing, and what others [A/Tube VIR] have also previously done, is going to vary from company to company .... I don't think there is anything controversial in this.

And doubtlessly, again, each one may/will claim "their way" is the best.

And to be preposterous for a moment ...... unless each company has access to all the core original files of each others' companies on their "shots", methodologies and processes and techniques etc.... or somehow have nano-reverse-engineered them all from the ground up ... which are both ridiculous things for them to have / or to do .... then all we are left with is what they each "claim".

None of them know with any degree of certainty or accuracy what/how each other company actually/exactly did what they did - again, I don't think there is anything controversial in this.

Each one no doubt uses what they think is the "best" way to "sweep" / "move" / "slide" seamlessly from IR shot to IR shot ... presuming this is the "claim" / issue (?) .... no surprise there .... do they each probably sound different ... yep ..... is one of them "the best" (?) <- who the f%ck objectively knows (?) and who the extra-f%ck can prove and show it in an A/B test for example (?) .... and do we even extra-extra-f%ck care to that level of micro minutia (?)

There's a lot a pretty f%ckin amazing sets of ears that only seem to exist is Digital Audio forums ;)

Its been stated in many posts in many forums - and I'll paraphrase..... "dont like a sound ? .... move the knobs until you do ... if it then sounds good to your ears, then it is good to your ears" - an approach I totally agree with.

Again for clarity .... i.m.o

The L6 approach sounds great and is a massive improvement to the Helix.

The BOSS approach sounds - to me- especially great and is a massive feature of the GT1000.

I have no doubt the Fractal approach will/does sound great and is a massive improvement to Fractal units.

I'll stop here.

Rant over.

Ben

PS: Let the "someone's had too much coffee today" / "take a chill pill and relax" / "you clearly don't understand what you are posting about" etc.... responses commence :)
You can’t see the forest for the trees.

I don't think it's that difficult to find out how many IRs are used, I could probably do that myself with an RTA and some pink noise.

Maybe you don't care about that level of micro minutia but others care, what's wrong with that? There's no need to tell others to not care about something you don't care.
Personally I find this kind of discussions the most informative and educative for me, and they often educate me on how to verify claims too and establish who did it best despite the claims. Testing and verifying things in first person is what can set you free from companies' claims actually.

That's something we talked about a while back; Using the FX3 when it's not immediately in front of us is a pain. Mine sits beside me on a repurposed nightstand and to see the panel I have to lean WAAAAY over while trying to not fall out of my chair, then lean back, grab my glasses, and lean WAAAAY over again and start turning knobs.

#firstworldmodelingproblems

I've tried a few things and none of them are great approaches to this point.

Perfect world, I'd have a studio desk with a built in rack that I could mount the Axe 3, but that's a ways away. Otherwise, I'd love to have an adjustable height side table that would securely hold the Axe 3, and then I could wheel slightly over to it and tinker with the interface directly.

I got really excited about this one: Gator Heavy Duty Adjustable Tripod Stand

It says the top part measures 19.25" x 15.75" so in theory that should about perfectly fit the Axe 3 for width (it measures 19" across and 10" deep). Rubber padding on the bottom and little lips on the sides to keep it from falling. But the minimum height is 36" and I'd like something that can get down to 28" or so.

This off Amazon looks okay: Adjustable Height Desk

Top part is 23" x 15" so it's a little big but not overly so. It goes down to 28" height and it seems decent.

Seems like to get something good quality will likely be hundreds of dollars though.

When one reaches into the depths of their own colon to counter information given by the people who actually do the work, it doesn’t upset anyone, just highlights how much colon-digging some people are willing to involve themselves in because something happened at Fractal Camp.

Couldn’t be resentment for not using a piece of gear for it’s intended purpose and being told “That’s not how that works” a while back, could it? Nahhhh, surely people don’t turn into Camp Survivors over something as simple as that?!

For the record the Axe-Fx 3 does not seem to like tilted position, mainly because of the fan. For me it starts making more noise if it's not either flat horizontally or set up vertically. Same happens with an aftermarket Noctua I put in mine. It will work just fine, just be more noisy.

When one reaches into the depths of their own colon to counter information given by the people who actually do the work, it doesn’t upset anyone, just highlights how much colon-digging some people are willing to involve themselves in because something happened at Fractal Camp.

Couldn’t be resentment for not using a piece of gear for it’s intended purpose and being told “That’s not how that works” a while back, could it? Nahhhh, surely people don’t turn into Camp Survivors over something as simple as that?!
I think "colon-miner" and "colon-mining" should become new terms. :-)

For the record the Axe-Fx 3 does not seem to like tilted position, mainly because of the fan. For me it starts making more noise if it's not either flat horizontally or set up vertically. Same happens with an aftermarket Noctua I put in mine. It will work just fine, just be more noisy.

I don't plan to tilt mine, but now I'm kind of curious to test that. My first one was noisier but the rack stand I had was very slightly tilted back.

Back