Fractal Audio Firmware Update Thread

My guess is that dyna-cabs will actually use less cpu on the fm3/fm9 than ultrares, basically the same as normal-res.
On the FX3, the options for Dyna-Cab IR Length are
Screenshot 2023-03-27 at 3.12.57 PM.png

One of the touted things about Dyna-Cab is the ability to pull the mic away from the speaker to include some of the room ambiance, so not having the Max setting, the 2K size, would kinda defeat the purpose. I'm sure that Cliff has something up his sleeve, and trimming off the Max ambiance might be how to shoehorn them in. I hope not, but that part of the technology isn't what impresses me the most, it's the overall clarity. The cabs sound great.

On the FX3, the options for Dyna-Cab IR Length are
View attachment 5818
One of the touted things about Dyna-Cab is the ability to pull the mic away from the speaker to include some of the room ambiance, so not having the Max setting, the 2K size, would kinda defeat the purpose. I'm sure that Cliff has something up his sleeve, and trimming off the Max ambiance might be how to shoehorn them in. I hope not, but that part of the technology isn't what impresses me the most, it's the overall clarity. The cabs sound great.
Max doesn't mean "infinity", max is simply the longest one available and is the same for the legacy mode.
If the IR was loaded into the unit as ultrares max=ultrares
If the IR was loaded as high-res max=2048 samples
And Cliff has already stated several times that dyna-cabs are 2048 samples.

PS: the additional clarity that you and others perceive might actually be due to that IR lenght (in addition to good captured IRs, alignment, no MPT, etc.), more resolution/lenght on higher frequencies and lower resolution/lenght on lower frequencies than ultrares

Prepare that big cup for a load of Cliff’s feces…
This is just asking for a joke about the UI
So your idea is.... that any time a user changes some speaker settings, the device somehow madly real-time decompresses and/or transfers IRs from storage to memory in time for real-time audio processing?

It's probably just IR length differences. Downloading from York directly probably gets you a little longer IR file.
Just tossing ideas out there. I agree it's unlikely that it's done on the device since I'm pretty sure you can switch the parameters with snapshots and no lag. But I maintain that the firmware download is likely highly compressed and his math is way off as a result. The decompression just happens on the PC before the firmware update is installed

As we know, IRs on the fm3 and fm9 run on an accelerator as well, but on these devices high-res support has been ditched for some reason (maybe just to simplify things and avoid confusion)
Maybe it was to make room for DynaCabs?
I looked at about 30 sysex IRs and all of them were 11kb even if the original file was shorter. So it's a proprietary format that somehow allows them to recreate it in the CAB block (or they're doing some very different than I thought).
Yeah, obviously it's a proprietary format cus it's not .wav. It's an encrypted IR file, and it's a big enough file size to fit their used IR lengths.
Just tossing ideas out there. I agree it's unlikely that it's done on the device since I'm pretty sure you can switch the parameters with snapshots and no lag. But I maintain that the firmware download is likely highly compressed and his math is way off as a result. The decompression just happens on the PC before the firmware update is installed
yeah... take your "you should really go take some undergrad engineering courses" and shove it up where the light don't shine? Just "tossing ideas out there" then, were ya? :cop

Hey all !

To be crystal clear and for the record .... and to "respond" to some "suggestions" made above.

I don't use any Fractal gear any more - after having bought and used some 7+ of their units in the last several years ... my last unit was the FM3 running FW 5.x.

I don't use my Helix anymore although I have given 3.5 Cab Clock a massive run thorugh and it is fantastic [although I keep my Helix boxed up pending some hopeful future upgrades and plus I luckily can afford to] ... so I have no horse in this race.

I moved on to the GT1000 and now the GT1000 + Tonex Pedal in the Loop combo, and I'm getting - what are to me - the best and most satisfying sounds I've ever gotten from any pervious unit with sweet f&ck-all tweaking ... so my question to Fractal / Cliff was purely a technical one .... although I'm not "sold" on his view on how L6 store and implement their Cab feature.

I have no idea how Fractal store and implement theirs ... I presume neither unit has multi-GB's of storage onboard etc..... but that is irrelevant ... as I have ad-nauseum repeatedly said, they are both *absolutely brilliant* units .... with some serious "brain power" behind them ....... they're just not currently for my ears and fingers.

Back to the key point .... no matter how each unit does it - and the GT1000 was doing this in 2018 - they are just multiple IR shots .... the only differences may be their "length", how well or badly they were each shot, which environment was used and how the "internal hardware system" stores and moves seamlessly between them.

NEWSFLASH ..... I'm sure if asked, L6 would "claim" theirs is great and done "the best way". I'm sure Fractal would "claim" theirs is great and done "the best way".

Period.

Back to original programming.

Ben

Back