Fractal Audio Firmware Update Thread

Late night! Looks some revisions to the 5150/6505 models
Added “Oxbow Loadbox” and “Double Notes Loadbox” speaker impedance curves based on a Universal Audio Ox and Two Notes Torpedo, respectively.

Those would be pretty useful if anyone wants to do real amp comparisons using these loadboxes.

Late night! Looks some revisions to the 5150/6505 models
So In Cliff land existing individual amp models can be tweaked and improved

Updated PVH 6160 Block and PVH 6160+ models. New models have more accurate Gain knob response.

Reduced default Power Tube Grid Bias for PVH 6160 and Recto models as previous default was hotter than these amps are typically run due to the non-adjustable bias.

Wonder why this is not so in the Helix Platform?
is because of breaking presets ?
in my PoV as i can see it is go to my preset with new Modded amp and test it out make any adjustments required
:idk

This is just a general comment / thought. Just using Fractal and Line 6 as an example.

Fractal models the Amps they own or borrowed - or via the schematics they obtain.

Line 6 [ I'm %99.99 sure ] only model the actual Amps they own or borrowed - none are done via schematics.

So how can anyone [ say me ] .... even try to say Fractals or Line 6's modelling .... relative to the Amps they physically own or borrowed.... is more or less accurate than the other companys' processes ?

Maybe Fractal's Amps need to be updated because they weren't done right at the start ?

Maybe Line 6 doesn't update their Amp algorithms because they feel close enough is good enough ?

I don't know .... either way.

Hence why i.m.h.o one cannot be "better" than the other .... there can only be the one which a persons ears and fingers prefer.

Not sure why I typed this ..... but that's never stopped me before ;)

Ben

I was under the impression that Fractal uses schematics in conjunction with real reference amps, not as a replacement for them?
That's right. Cliff may have some programmed himself some kind of SPICE simulator software to extract the juice from the schematic, and then verify and fine-tune with the real amp

This is just a general comment / thought. Just using Fractal and Line 6 as an example.

Fractal models the Amps they own or borrowed - or via the schematics they obtain.

Line 6 [ I'm %99.99 sure ] only model the actual Amps they own or borrowed - none are done via schematics.

So how can anyone [ say me ] .... even try to say Fractals or Line 6's modelling .... relative to the Amps they physically own or borrowed.... is more or less accurate than the other companys' processes ?

Maybe Fractal's Amps need to be updated because they weren't done right at the start ?

Maybe Line 6 doesn't update their Amp algorithms because they feel close enough is good enough ?

Hence why i.m.h.o one cannot be "better" than the other .... there can only be the one which a persons ears and fingers prefer.

Ben
I think Digital Igloo has said that Line6 does improve the amp modeling but in secret, namely not telling anything about it in release notes. Correct me if I am wrong.

Fractal is basically the opposite, listing minute details. If they never said any amp modeling improvements were made people would be none the wiser and would be guessing "does it sound a bit different now?"

Fractal's process leads to gradual improvement as they learn new ways to do things. A lot of it is firmly in the "I don't know, it was fine before" category for us end-users.

With either company we can't exactly waltz into their amp rooms and try their reference amps to evaluate accuracy.

I was under the impression that Fractal uses schematics in conjunction with real reference amps, not as a replacement for them?

That's right. Cliff may have some programmed himself some kind of SPICE simulator software to extract the juice from the schematic, and then verify and fine-tune with the real amp

At its release, L6 made a huge point of saying all the models - with only one exception though I cant remember which one - were all point-to-point-component-to-component-real-world measured and then modelled .... and only *then* compared to their real Amps for final tuning / tweaking / adjustments if needed.

I *assumed* all the Fractal models were also done the same way ?

Just actually curious more than anything.

Ben

I think Digital Igloo has said that Line6 does improve the amp modeling but in secret, namely not telling anything about it in release notes. Correct me if I am wrong.

Fractal is basically the opposite, listing minute details. If they never said any amp modeling improvements were made people would be none the wiser and would be guessing "does it sound a bit different now?"

Fractal's process leads to gradual improvement as they learn new ways to do things. A lot of it is firmly in the "I don't know, it was fine before" category for us end-users.

With either company we can't exactly waltz into their amp rooms and try their reference amps to evaluate accuracy.
Reasons why its good to have both Platforms :D

At its release, L6 made a huge point of saying all the models - with only one exception though I cant remember which one - were all point-to-point-component-to-component-real-world measured and then modelled .... and only *then* compared to their real Amps for final tuning / tweaking / adjustments if needed.
Although Line 6 has measurements of their amps they are applied within the limits of whatever current operating constraints the modeling is under. I expect the details of their models will shift if Line 6 ups the processing capabilities in the future at some point—even if they fall back onto their historic pool of measurements they have at their fingertips.

Ben
We own every single amp that is modeled except for the Bludotone Ojai which we borrowed from Austin Buddy.

Also, tweaks to the 5150’s make me excited. I’ve been going to Mesa’s more often than not lately, so it’ll be nice to fire up a 5150 and check out what’s different.

This is also really appealing to me-
Changed bypass/engage speed for the following blocks: Drive, Filter, Graphic EQ, Parametric EQ, Tremolo and Wah. These blocks now bypass/engage with a gentle fade as rapid bypass/engage with these types of blocks can sound abrupt.

I wonder if this is in any way related to Devin Townsend‘s wah trick?

Drew anything FAS does gives you wood :rofl

Hahaha not everything, in this case, I’ve owned a 5150 more than any other amp aside from a Dual Rec, it’s one of my favorite amps of all time. If they updated a Matchless or Bogner I wouldn’t even bat an eye as I barely use ‘em, but I love 5150’s.

I would have been perfectly fine if they stopped updating about 3 years ago. I’m just along for the ride now. As it is, I generally hold off on updating for a couple weeks until curiosity gets the best of me.

Back