Fractal Audio Firmware Update Thread

Bored The Office GIF
Sarcastic Night GIF
Lettering Type GIF by Chris Piascik
Sarcastic Emma Stone GIF
Willy Wonka Reaction GIF

I love all these people acting like their boosted or modded JCM800 tone gets completely ruined whenever Fractal release an update, and now they've got to spend aeons finding it again. AND WHAT IF THEY NEVER DO!?!?

Load of fucking bullshit.

Do the same thing you did last time. Load the amp. Load your IR. Tweak the gain, bass, mid, treble, and volume to taste.

Idiots.

I love all these people acting like their boosted or modded JCM800 tone gets completely ruined whenever Fractal release an update, and now they've got to spend aeons finding it again. AND WHAT IF THEY NEVER DO!?!?

Load of f*****g bullshit.

Do the same thing you did last time. Load the amp. Load your IR. Tweak the gain, bass, mid, treble, and volume to taste.

Idiots.
To be fair Fractal could make it significantly easier to update blocks to latest version by providing some button that will change all advanced and internal settings to new defaults but keep the basic controls values so you don't need to start all over.

Basically "reset block to defaults, apply some of the previous values"

To be fair Fractal could make it significantly easier to update blocks to latest version by providing some button that will change all advanced and internal settings to new defaults but keep the basic controls values so you don't need to start all over.
My point was, for most of these people, it'd take 5-10minutes for them to get up and running again. But they're all over these stupid nerd forums crying about it instead.

My point was, for most of these people, it'd take 5-10minutes for them to get up and running again. But they're all over these stupid nerd forums crying about it instead.

I hear you, but to be honest I'm a bit similar, in that I don't love the idea of a favourite amp model of mine being changed in any way without me wanting it to be. And I do fear “not getting back” what I loved about it. That is one area of Fractal that unsettles me a bit. The OCD/controlling part of me doesn't want anyone touching my main amp, once I've got it where I like it.

However, as you say, it can be dialed back in, and I do have greater confidence in my ability to do so, as I gain experience with Fractal stuff.

I hear you, but to be honest I'm a bit similar, in that I don't love the idea of a favourite amp model of mine being changed in any way without me wanting it to be. And I do fear “not getting back” what I loved about it. That is one area of Fractal that unsettles me a bit. The OCD/controlling part of me doesn't want anyone touching my main amp, once I've got it where I like it.

However, as you say, it can be dialed back in, and I do have greater confidence in my ability to do so, as I gain experience with Fractal stuff.
I get you. I'm just being a d******d. :rofl

I realized a while back that if I keep/think of my amps within presets as ’floating’, the updates don’t really effect me much. I always go back to my favorite amps when recording, if I made a new preset per-song like I used to, I’d end up with 100 IIC++ presets/scenes, so it just makes more sense to tweak an existing preset for the song I’m recording that day. I just treat updates like new songs, it generally involves the same amount of tweaking.

My ears hear things differently day to day anyway, it’s pretty rare I load up a preset and don’t tweak it somewhat simply due to my ear hearing excess treble on some days more than others. I think a lot of people experience this and tend to blame the gear for it.

Some people are posting some really good presets on the Forum lately IMO
The Feedbacker from Simeon is brilliant, and both he and Burgs have posted up some Cloudburst stuff
Another one for violins using the synth and it tracks really well

Good to know! Maybe dumb follow up question. They also have a Plexi 2204, that's different than a Brit 800 tho?

Some day I need to do a deep dive on all the Marshall model numbers. I recognize Plexi, JTM45, JCM800, Superlead/SPL, but that’s about it. The 1987x/2550 stuff is entirely lost on me.

I realized a while back that if I keep/think of my amps within presets as ’floating’, the updates don’t really effect me much. I always go back to my favorite amps when recording, if I made a new preset per-song like I used to, I’d end up with 100 IIC++ presets/scenes, so it just makes more sense to tweak an existing preset for the song I’m recording that day. I just treat updates like new songs, it generally involves the same amount of tweaking.

My ears hear things differently day to day anyway, it’s pretty rare I load up a preset and don’t tweak it somewhat simply due to my ear hearing excess treble on some days more than others. I think a lot of people experience this and tend to blame the gear for it.

Yup. Truth! Subjectivity, and the variability of personal perception, are the biggest factors that no gear,
or upgrade, can ever account for.

Back