Fractal Audio Firmware Update Thread

Jazzhole TM

Dude doesn't even play a Jazzmaster.

Sheesh.

Conan Obrien Ugh GIF by Team Coco

I've played through a Polytone and with all due respect, they sound horrible. For the life of me I don't know why Jazz guitarists use them other than portability. I guess it's partially because it has a reputation as the amp to use for Jazz but to my ear a Henriksen JazzAmp sounds much better if you want to go that route.

52667311296_63ec717ed1_k.jpg

Last edited:
I've played through a Polytone and with all due respect, they sound horrible. For the life of me I don't know why Jazz guitarists use them other than portability. I guess it's partially because it has a reputation as the amp to use for Jazz but to my ear a Henriksen sounds much better if you want to go that route.
George Benson

Only later on.

True.

If you're saying people use Polytone because Benson used them once upon a time that may be the case, but he sure as heck isn't using them now and I seriously doubt he'd want one over his signature model HRD. If you listen to what he says in that video he seems to be really happy with it. I know I am.

I used HRDs before and the 12at7 makes it a much better amp for Jazz. As Benson says it definitely has more clean headroom. With the right speaker it's also a great amp to use with a modeler. The effects loop makes it easy to use the 4CM. They're relatively inexpensive used.

I just can't see why any Jazz player would prefer a Polytone over the Benson HRD except for portability and again, if that's the issue I'd go with a Henriksen.

I'd actually like to get a Henriksen but they're not cheap and for now it makes sense to play what I've got.

True.

If you're saying people use Polytone because Benson used them once upon a time that may be the case, but he sure as heck isn't using them now and I seriously doubt he'd want one over his signature model HRD. If you listen to what he says in that video he seems to be really happy with it. I know I am.

I used HRDs before and the 12at7 makes it a much better amp for Jazz. As Benson says it definitely has more clean headroom. With the right speaker it's also a great amp to use with a modeler. The effects loop makes it easy to use the 4CM. They're relatively inexpensive used.

I just can't see why any Jazz player would prefer a Polytone over the Benson HRD except for portability and again, if that's the issue I'd go with a Henriksen.

I'd actually like to get a Henriksen but they're not cheap and for now it makes sense to play what I've got.
The only thing I typically associate with a traditional jazz tone is an Archtop.

I’m gonna have to break out my Roland GR8 patch on the Frackl and do some PM … “jazz toanzz” especially when you do the octave thing - which cracks a filter (although I think I’ve programmed 2 octaves up?)

The only thing I typically associate with a traditional jazz tone is an Archtop.

The thing I associate with a traditional Jazz tone is playing with your thumb. It's definitely a "tone is in the fingers" thing.

I was just getting a great Jazz tone out of my HH Telecaster but, particularly here in Philly, the audience expects to see a hollowbody which is a major influence on why I gig with an ES-137 Custom and an ES-335.

George Benson worked with Fender to convert the Hot Rod Deluxe to his own specifications. It's the same amp I use.

That was a cool video. I like watching George Benson play and talk about music, and guitars, and amps. But what I'd really enjoy would be to see what he meant by sounding like Eddie Van Halen! :rawk THAT would be special!

I just delved a bit deeper into how the footswitches work, and I can't imagine all the code that those guys have to generate, and maintain, to make these units not only work the way they do, but also interact with one another in all sorts of cool ways. Like how you can set up an FC-12, but then "copy" your methods over to an FC-6, but have the means for the smaller controller being able to access the info available on the 12-button unit.

I mean, just the 'deep editing' capabilities the FS units have-- change the layouts, customize them, do the same to individual switches, and so on, etc., etc.

It's just mind-blowing what those guys do behind the scenes! My head would explode adding a new feature, then making sure it "slips in" to the architecture, and all control functions work correctly wrt the new feature.

Shoot, I work with house blueprints, and regularly see examples of changes that were made, yet the architect didn't trace those changes to everything it affects, which results in discrepancies between different pages of the plans. And that's simple stuff compared to this type of environment!

Late night! Looks some revisions to the 5150/6505 models

Back