Burgers

This thread finally made it occur to me that I could do like home brew Bubba Burgers…just pre-make a whole bunch of Patties separate with wax paper and freeze them. I can’t tell you how much easier that’s going to make my life once school starts back up again next months. Cheers!

Ok, if you are going to go that route anyway, here's what I did many moons ago (when I was still into meat). I got a really large amount of minced meat, then made a big roll with the diameter of a burger patty. Froze it in. Once frozen I took it out and sawed them (using one of these fine japanese style saws, obviously even better if you have an electric kitchen saw or a bread cutter), then put them back into the freezer. This method allows you to get the most evenly thin (or thick...) patties ever. It's also what many bigger fast food chains are doing (IMO one of the little good things about them).
I might try that with some veggie patties as forming them usually is a sort of a nightmare.

Not a traditional shape, but these work great for making patties efficiently:

IMG_1487.jpeg

www.amazon.com/7Penn-Silicone-Burger-Press-Slider/dp/B0BGT2PWZB

My kids love burgers. One is on the autism spectrum and super picky about what he eats, so it’s not uncommon for us to have burgers two, sometimes three, nights a week.

I was in the grocery today getting ground beef for burgers tonight and lamenting the fact that I’m either stuck with a pound, which isn’t quite enough for four burgers, or three pounds and squeeze two meals out of it.

This thread finally made it occur to me that I could do like home brew Bubba Burgers…just pre-make a whole bunch of Patties separate with wax paper and freeze them. I can’t tell you how much easier that’s going to make my life once school starts back up again next months. Cheers!

Nice! I have even done the pre-rolled Smashburger Balls and frozen them. So convenient!

And if I decide Tacos instead they still work. :LOL:

gotta be smashburger, crispy and lacy edges, well seasoned and ideally quite peppery.

The bread is extremely important. I’d actually say the meat is quite easy to do (find decent meat, a good blend, season, and then cooking technique) but the difference between the absolute best burgers I’ve ever had and the rest is down to the bread.

Best toppings for me is keeping it simple.

American Mustard (needs a lot, it’s what makes it taste like a burger)
A little ketchup
Fresh onion
Pickle slices
American cheese

Bun needs to be lightly toasted. Sometimes single patties are better, some doubles get overly meaty and heavy. Sometimes a double is just the thing, really depends on who’s making it.

Oklahoma style burgers are cool, I queued for a shamefully long time to have one cooked by George Motz. In restaurants I’m not averse to more daft topping combinations but the best burgers Ive ever had have kept it quite simple and just nailed it (good produce, perfect technique).

1. VLND in Tallinn.

2. Fatfuck Smashburgers in Prague

3. Black Bear Burgers (London)

Found some decent places in LA, NY and Seattle but none that topped those 3.

Had some yesterday, too, pretty much original libanese style, incredibly great.
And well, if you ever feel hungry because of meat talk/watching, I have some pretty decent ways to adress that. Defenitely nothing for this thread, though.
I joke, but I do like falafels too. These were store bought variety so ok, but not great.
Still, I was really craving a burger yesterday! :grin

Back in the day, I would occasionally eat at Les Halles in lower manhattan. (Did a fair amount of work in New York City. As we say in the business… 212 tested.)

The french fries were good, and the technique is spot on.

Back