Burgers

Never boiled before; but French fries have to be cooked 2x …..
Really? I've never heard that before. Do you fry them twice?

Boiling them for only a minute or 2 prior to frying makes the inside fluffy and the outside nice and crispy. No soggy, limp fries. If they come out saturated with grease then they were boiled too long.

Never boiled before; but French fries have to be cooked 2x ….. why not?

I used to go to this Belgian restaurant in Scotland that served out of this world 2x fried fries (chips in the UK ofc).

They were incredible. Fluffy and creamy on the inside, crispy and golden brown on the outside. Fantastic flavour.

Rumour has it that horse fat was used.

Last edited:
I used to go to this Belgian restaurant in Scotland that serverd out of this world 2x fried fries (chips in the UK ofc).

They were incredible. Fluffy and creamy on the inside, crispy and golden brown on the outside. Fantastic flavour.

Rumour has it that horse fat was used.

I know that France/Belgium have an affinity for horse products stemming from World War I and World War II.

Dirty Little secret of America is that we ship horse meat there to this day.

The best french fries I’ve ever had was 20 years ago downtown Manhattan in the Marriott, financial District hotel at their bar (long gone). They hand cut their fries and then fried them in tallow. I’ve had some done in duck fat… Delicious.

Really? I've never heard that before. Do you fry them twice?

Boiling them for only a minute or 2 prior to frying makes the inside fluffy and the outside nice and crispy. No soggy, limp fries. If they come out saturated with grease then they were boiled too long.

Quick blanch makes perfect sense to me. A cold water soak/ice bath after they are cut to size is another method
for removing some of the starch and getting a crispier French Fry.

IMG_2218.jpeg

Dinner …

- couple drops of Worcestershire sauce per pound of meat an hour or three before forming patties. A little more if you're going caramelized onion/red pepper.
- make sure patties have uniform thickness and don't get thin out at the edges.
- toasted bun. Always. Preferably on a grill.
- Carmelized onion/red pepper should have a splash of high quality balsamic at the end.
- Burgers - grilled. All sides not grilled.
- steak not-grilled (butter basted, preferably), but corn and green veg ARE grilled if its summer. If it's summer, rice is the better starch than potato.
- in short, the grill or not grill question is season-dependent, and will depend on how other things are being cooked...a meal where everything is smoke-flavored is too much.

A good chunk of grilled halloumi is a great alternative for the beef patty.

And it's only getting better when you add a slice of grilled aubergine (I guess that's eggplant for the barbarians across the pond).
Also going well with Tofu instead of Halloumi, but you need nice Tofu aquiring spice/herb tastes easily.

I also like grilled onions on burgers of any kind.
And I usually prefer brioche buns over anything else.

Pickled beetroot is great on any burger, too.

Too lazy to grind my own, ordered this a while back when it was on sale... https://www.omahasteaks.com/product/Ultimate-Burger-Experience-73899
You get New York Strip, Ribeye, Brisket, Sirloin and Steak .....all ground into burgers......best I ever tasted.

FYI

There are many beef vendors available to you online. (Not just the big name everybody knows. 👍) See if you find something better …

Actually, the best deal is to find a rancher that lives within a couple hours of you and works with a local butcher. You can buy 1/4, 1/2 or whole cow, sliced and diced how you want.

200.gif

FYI

There are many beef vendors available to you online. (Not just the big name everybody knows. 👍) See if you find something better …

Actually, the best deal is to find a rancher that lives within a couple hours of you and works with a local butcher. You can buy 1/4, 1/2 or whole cow, sliced and diced how you want.
Yes, there are definitely a lot of different options available, and we have access to all the above. That being said, if I see that package on sale
again from Omaha, I will get it! That’s just how good they are……especially already formed into burgers and hold their shape while cooking…it’s a win, win, win!
biggrin.gif

My kids love burgers. One is on the autism spectrum and super picky about what he eats, so it’s not uncommon for us to have burgers two, sometimes three, nights a week.

I was in the grocery today getting ground beef for burgers tonight and lamenting the fact that I’m either stuck with a pound, which isn’t quite enough for four burgers, or three pounds and squeeze two meals out of it.

This thread finally made it occur to me that I could do like home brew Bubba Burgers…just pre-make a whole bunch of Patties separate with wax paper and freeze them. I can’t tell you how much easier that’s going to make my life once school starts back up again next months. Cheers!

Back