Burgers

My tips:
  • Pickled jalapenos. They go with any burger.
  • A good chunk of grilled halloumi is a great alternative for the beef patty.
  • A beef patty should be tossed in soy sauce + spices before grilling. I usually just use some black pepper, a bit of chili flakes etc. This spreads the saltiness of the soy sauce and spices perfectly into it.
My usual beef burger:
  1. Top bun.
  2. Mustard and ketchup.
  3. (optional) Avocado. Damn us millenials!
  4. Cheddar melted on top of the beef after flipping it.
  5. Beef patty.
  6. Slice or two of tomato.
  7. A bit of some sauce. I like gomadare but my spouse prefers a chili mayonaise.
  8. Pickled jalapenos.
  9. Pickled cucumber.
  10. Lettuce.
  11. Bottom bun.

Halloumi burger:

1. Top bun.
  2. (optional) A bit of sriracha.
  3. Slice of grilled halloumi.
  4. Cherry tomatoes cut in halves.
  5. Pickled jalapenos or chili jam.
  6. Lettuce.
  7. Bottom Bun.

Halloumi burger can be simpler because halloumi is quite salty so adding a bit of heat and leaving other salty elements out works. Cherry tomatoes are a bit sweeter so they balance it.

I need to take pics next time I make burgers.
I almost put pickled jalapenos on mine the other night too.

Burgers have to be grilled. I won't eat pan fried burgers. No way, never, not gun do it.

My favorite burger joints are In an Out, Fatburger, 5 Guys. Love putting some some burgers on my PBC and smoke em for an hour or so before grilling em over the wood and charcoal…
Hungry Food GIF by Sainsbury's

I almost put pickled jalapenos on mine the other night too.

Burgers have to be grilled. I won't eat pan fried burgers. No way, never, not gun do it.

I used to think so, too. I just think it is a different method with different but equally amazing results.

That fat dripping down onto coals/flames is kind of lost, whereas, on a flat top/skillet you get that
meat cooking in its own fat, and can lead to a juicier more flavourful patty---apart from the smoke
and char. :idk

I've even cooked Patties in my Toaster Oven that are delicious as any. :sofa

My favorite burger joints are In an Out, Fatburger, 5 Guys. Love putting some some burgers on my PBC and smoke em for an hour or so before grilling em over the wood and charcoal…
Hungry Food GIF by Sainsbury's's

Nice! I've smoked patties---but the low temp tends to leave them a little loose and flabby. No flabby patties. :horse

Searing them a minute or two over super high heat after smoking makes perfect sense. Will try. :beer

mmm...burgers...

I grew up in a household of butchers/meatworkers. We had these old, handmade wooden patty presses that we'd use to make the patties. My pops went from butcher to logistics so knew when the good deals came around for bulk meat.

I eventually entered the workforce and learned how to grind a proper cow. I used to eat a Triple Whopper combo at lunch before going back to lifting heavy boxes in a cold meat warehouse for another 5 hours. Skinny as a MF rail, too.

Now I only eat actual meat on occasion -- Impossible Burgers are a pretty good stand-in. We don't do anything outlandish or fancy either -- we're feeding three kids so we have to KISS. Thick slice of onion, as many pickles as I can fit, avocado if applicable, spinach and cheddar. We had some smoked gouda last time.

I recently discovered this stuff and i love it:
37544146fd036874817f83dd36364ec85fdb5889b17013a169596c612156791b.jpg

Picked up 3 lbs. of Chuck and 3lbs of Pork Butt. Sacrilegious, I know.

May work some Bacon into a couple, and have some Brisket trimmings in the freezer.

Gonna have some fun in the Lab concocting a few different blends. :stirthepot

I promise not to do anything with Chicken or Turkey, though. :LOL:

We just bought one of these and the bottom main 'tray' is not cast iron but it takes on and retains heat very similarly. Haven't tried burgers yet but this thread has made it a priority. Max temp is 500, the same as our range, but the heating elements are closer and you don't lose 15-20 degrees every time you open the thing. We've done both thin and thick crust home made pizza dough and it did better than our large oven and a stone in both cases. It's time for some ground beef patties.

81xMAsQJBsL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Last edited:
Welp, time for another burger tonight. It's been 2 too many days since the last one. This time I'm going with a brioche bun of some sort and cheese as always. Not sure what else though. Egg sounds delicious but I'm not sure yet. This threads given me some good ideas. Thanks for that everyone. :D

As a side it'll probably be some homemade fries. Any of you guys boil them before frying? :chef

We just bought one of these and the bottom main 'tray' is not cast iron but it takes on and retains heat very similarly. Haven't tried burgers yet but this thread has made it a priority. Max temp is 500, the same as our range, but the heating elements are closer and you don't lose 15-20 degrees every time you open the thing. We've done both thin and thick crust home made pizza dough and it did better than our large oven and a stone in both cases. It's time for some ground beef patties.

81xMAsQJBsL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Awesome! I have a similar unit, and late at night when I can't be bothered to go outside I just put a patty in a small,
pre-heated cast iron skillet and go to town. :banana

Back