NDSP Quad Cortex

Been wanting to get a nice expression pedal for my QC for a while. But then I plugged in the cheap M Audio I have and it works flawlessly. The calibration was dead simple and setup is super straightforward. Ended up ordering a second one so I can fuss around with assigning to different parameters.
The QC is the best expressional pedal host I’ve owned, in terms of auto-configuring for different polarities, etc.

The QC is the best expressional pedal host I’ve owned, in terms of auto-configuring for different polarities, etc.
breaking you got me GIF

Yeah I was shocked how it worked with one button setup. Fractal was a lot more of a pain in terms of setting up the curves and min/max values and everything. I don't do much expression pedal stuff but I really need to do more!

Yeah I was shocked how it worked with one button setup. Fractal was a lot more of a pain in terms of setting up the curves and min/max values and everything. I don't do much expression pedal stuff but I really need to do more!
Well, there is a flipside, in that I do wish the QC had a couple more parameters - specifically to control curvatures. Everything linear doesn't always cut it where volume and pan are concerned.

But yeah, I've got a couple of expression pedals that won't work with half my gear, due to reverse polarity. The QC seems to auto-detect and do fine regardless.

Well, there is a flipside, in that I do wish the QC had a couple more parameters - specifically to control curvatures. Everything linear doesn't always cut it where volume and pan are concerned.

But yeah, I've got a couple of expression pedals that won't work with half my gear, due to reverse polarity. The QC seems to auto-detect and do fine regardless.

True, best of both worlds would likely be intelligent setup and then advanced settings. Actually that could broadly apply to most Fractal things :)

Well it looks like they are getting closer
Nameless and Soldano X are out now and they are starting beta on plug in comp in May
But this one confuses me 🤔
So basically when they release the PCOM update in June you will have
Plug in compatibility but not for all compatible plug in that are available

CorOS 3.0.0 will include plugin compatibility for Archetype: Plini X and Archetype: Gojira X - the first two plugins to receive the ‘X’ updates. Compatibility for the more recent X updates will be added in future versions of CorOS.

I love how when they said “port plugins to QC” they’ve actually done the opposite and re-written the plugins. Not that I give a shit either way, but at least so far the plugins don’t seem to have suffered, they’ve actually improved in basically every way as a result.

I love how when they said “port plugins to QC” they’ve actually done the opposite and re-written the plugins. Not that I give a shit either way, but at least so far the plugins don’t seem to have suffered, they’ve actually improved in basically every way as a result.
Isn’t that basically what “porting” is? ie rewriting software for another platform.

Like a developer ‘porting’ an Android app to iPhone for example

CorOS 3.0.0 will include plugin compatibility for Archetype: Plini X and Archetype: Gojira X - the first two plugins to receive the ‘X’ updates. Compatibility for the more recent X updates will be added in future versions of CorOS.

What a clown show. Not only are they rewriting plugins one at a time to work on QC, but they'll have to keep updating the firmware to accommodate each batch?! So "PCOM" is only works for the X versions that exist at the time, and they essentially have to recode twice for every plugin.

Well, at the current rate, they'll finish with the existing allotment of plugins sometime in late 2025. I would say there are hopes for them to get back to QC-specific content at that point, but we know new plugins will drop in the interim, so the whole cycle starts again.

Isn’t that basically what “porting” is? ie rewriting software for another platform.

Like a developer ‘porting’ an Android app to iPhone for example
Right, but I thought they would move the existing code over to QC's format, but really they've just changed the format that runs on computers. Essentially the same thing, but also, the plugins were clearly never going to run on the QC. They've had to redo basically everything to make that work.

Bold Strategy Cotton GIF by MOODMAN
What a clown show. Not only are they rewriting plugins one at a time to work on QC, but they'll have to keep updating the firmware to accommodate each batch?! So "PCOM" is only works for the X versions that exist at the time, and they essentially have to recode twice for every plugin.

Right, but I thought they would move the existing code over to QC's format, but really they've just changed the format that runs on computers. Essentially the same thing, but also, the plugins were clearly never going to run on the QC. They've had to redo basically everything to make that work.
Well it's clearly that some manager or director wrote a check that the engineers couldn't cash. Like an Elon Musk scenario. That's just poor leadership.

Now I truly regret selling the QC. sob

Oh wait. No I don't. But this is great news for those who wanted more 5150 models.
Doesn’t Fractal have WAY more models of a 5150?

NDSP has Gojira (2 channels of EVH) and Nolly (one channel of 5150). QC has a couple more I think, can’t remember if there are any that aren’t in plugins yet.

I may have misunderstood and I can’t say that they are being honest but from what they have said once Pcom part is completed , it’s the plug in team that will handle the X versions and Cortex team will be able to go back to their regular scheduled program

Season 2 What GIF by Paramount+

I long for these simple and optimistic times GTR…three weeks ago. :rofl

Doesn’t Fractal have WAY more models of a 5150?

NDSP has Gojira (2 channels of EVH) and Nolly (one channel of 5150). QC has a couple more I think, can’t remember if there are any that aren’t in plugins yet.
I think the qc has el34 and 6l6 stealth and a block letter. Maybe a 5150 II? Of course, you can never have too many

Yeah we’ve long since passed the point where their communication could be described as anything other than knowingly dishonest.

Three years later they are having to do a complete rewrite of both the plug-in and CorOs, on a per plug-in basis.

Mr Rogers Clown GIF

I called it two years ago when I said this all smells like them having to completely remodel everything to run on the QC. And now we know why they can’t release native QC content with any fixed regularity.

Back