NDSP Quad Cortex

Are we the only ones in this neighborhood that actually like the QC?

Close to it, yeah. :)

1714477693185.gif

Last edited:
This whole big deal about compatibility with payed plugins doesn’t compute in my brain tbh…I don’t get the strategy …
…what’s the plan here…I buy a couple of plugins to get a fully featured hardware unit that is already priced in the roof of pricinghouse?…

Atm they are competitive “as is”cause of the form/combi capturing and modeling…but as soon as other brands include capturing (I believe they will)…you need to offer the whole enchilada together with the hardware right?..I don’t get the long term strategy here tbh…unless in time they offer the plugins for free on the hardware…and the strategy is to only charge for use on IOS/windows.

This whole big deal about compatibility with payed plugins doesn’t compute in my brain tbh…I don’t get the strategy …
…what’s the plan here…I buy a couple of plugins to get a fully featured hardware unit that is already priced in the roof of pricinghouse?…

Atm they are competitive “as is”cause of the form/combi capturing and modeling…but as soon as other brands include capturing (I believe they will)…you need to offer the whole enchilada together with the hardware right?..I don’t get the long term strategy here tbh…unless in time they offer the plugins for free on the hardware…and the strategy is to only charge for use on IOS/windows.
Maybe Neural thinks it will encourage some plugin users to get a QC.

But that would be sort of flawed. A lot of plugin users (not all) get them because they can’t afford an expensive modeler. And it’s not like the plugins are that cheap either.

Maybe Neural thinks it will encourage some plugin users to get a QC.

But that would be sort of flawed. A lot of plugin users (not all) get them because they can’t afford an expensive modeler. And it’s not like the plugins are that cheap either.
Well…that line I can follow…spend 100,- on a daw plug-in…and buy the hardware that can play those familiar sounds when you grow into that. Assuming they will introduce also affordable hardware over time…that makes sense…

Reactions: LCW

Honestly, I still dig the product itself. I really do.

The form factor is awesome, the factory captures are great, and the presets and scenes are second only to Fractal's IMHO.

They still have time to patch the holes in their FX offerings and to stand up some sort of marketplace for third-party capture/profile providers, but.....then again, it's NDSP. They'll just keep doubling down on ridiculous communication like the latest "development update".

I like:
  • The form factor.
  • The I/O set is quite right.
  • The onboard UI.
  • The number of encoders.
  • Captures worked well.
I don't like:
  • The effects quality.
  • The amp models can be hit and miss.
  • NeuralDSP's lacking support for it over the past 3 years.
I so, so wish it was better. I wish they had never advertised plugin compatibility because it's clearly taken a lot of their time. That would have been much better spent on improving the fx quality and adding more of everything.

Now we are at a point where I don't want to buy another one because other manufacturers will release something new in 1-2 years.

Strategy: omg here's the plugin that Rabea uses, omg it runs on this hardware he uses, omg it's on sale for 50%.

I like:
  • The form factor.
  • The I/O set is quite right.
  • The onboard UI.
  • The number of encoders.
  • Captures worked well.
I don't like:
  • The effects quality.
  • The amp models can be hit and miss.
  • NeuralDSP's lacking support for it over the past 3 years.
I so, so wish it was better. I wish they had never advertised plugin compatibility because it's clearly taken a lot of their time. That would have been much better spent on improving the fx quality and adding more of everything.

Now we are at a point where I don't want to buy another one because other manufacturers will release something new in 1-2 years.
Agreed on the quality of time efx, the other stuff meets my requirements tbh.
Also some utility stuff I hope they improve…2nd/long press actions on the switches, parameter control via CC…all not so sexy stuff that eats a lot of dev time…so probably at the end of their list.

Personally I would be hesitant to conclude that the plug-in integration eats from other topics. That’s architectural changes…whole other skills set then creating an efx model.

Personally I would be hesitant to conclude that the plug-in integration eats from other topics. That’s architectural changes…whole other skills set then creating an efx model.

Looks like it's essentially both because the architecture is changing (PCOM firmwares) to suit each plugin batch, but then each batch is also getting rebuilt for running in a modular/block fashion on QC.

I don't think it's merely coincidental that new QC-native content development has practically dried up (oooooh, circular delay!) as this plugin effort has ramped up.

I expect their core dev team isn't that big so dev time for sound design gets shared by dev time for architectural stuff etc.

You'd think they'd be able to push out a steady stream of new fx etc, but it looks like the last time it got new fx, amps and whatnot was with CorOS 2.1.0 in last August.

Agree with all the rest, but I take this with a grain of salt. Other manufacturers have already released subsequent products, and none of them have bettered the QC in terms of its combination of form-factor, UI, routing and I/O. Per the old cliché, if my QC were stolen today, I'd buy another one. Yes, AxeFX MkIV might be better in a year's time, but a) there's no guarantee of that, b) who knows what it might cost, c) if I like it better, I'll flip what I have and buy what I want. When has it ever been any different?

Or QC users to buy DLC.

Neural doesn’t release content on the QC with any regularity, so these will be content purchase opportunities. This will be a big revenue stream for Neural.
Sorry I'm dumb... what's 'DLC' ?

Back