Is there anything inside the Quad Cortex that they didn't steal from someone else?

Not really. As far as the signal path display goes, that's just a logical thing and could already be found before on rather ancient units (Boss GTs, even on TC's G-Force). The big screen allowed for a bigger display, that's pretty much all.
And as far as the icons go, well they're all absolutely smartphone-ish anyway, so Line 6 "lifted" almost as much.

Sure. And why not? It's just the most common thing ever. And in the case of NDSP, they at least vastly improved on the capturing.

Similar things go for the other things in your OP.

Think about it this way: Would you've ever even thought about opening a thread like this in case all was fine and dandy in QC land? What if they absolutely lived up to their pre-launch promises or even kept adding more? I'm sure you'd never complain about them "lifting" certain things but call it evolution instead - which it actually is.

I’ve never used a Boss GT, but the G-Force is one of my favorite units of all time, can’t say this is at all familiar within the QC ecosystem-

7A476C24-B9AE-43AA-BE8D-EDA44A90DFDA.jpeg

But these-
line6helix04-jWfmBPukLR0zHrVXZa2CdB_Rycn7cPr8.jpg

72a230-QuadCortex.jpg

…reeeeeealllllllly look a LOT alike. Obviously the grid/lines are there and I agree that that’s the most simplistic way to lay that out. But come on, I‘d have to think someone is being intentionally obtuse if they can’t tell there’s a direct rip off going on with the icons.

BAD DOG! How dare you make jokes?! YOU IDIIIOOOTTTTT!!!!!
Everyone who knows me knows that I am deadly serious at all times, so watch out. :mad:

There's a difference between being inspired by something else on the market, and outright lifting. Neural aren't quite as bad as Behringer, but they've definitely straight up lifted parts of their design from Helix, and one of the core features - and for a LOT of people, the only reason they bought a QC - is extremely inspired by the Kemper.
Shrug. I agree they lifted the Helix UI and adapted it to a touch screen. It's be silly to argue against that.

But there are a lot of things where standardizing on an interactive model is actually helpful to the consumer. It may not be original, but why does it need to be? Is there some better thing they should have done? Since when is being completely different from everything else always good or necessary? Product groups converge on practices, form factors, etc, due to user demand/preference.

And having a another device that can do captures is also to everyone's benefit. Now we have ToneX too which is great. But giving us an alternative for captures is hardly a bad thing.

Being someone who has worked in music tech for the last 18 years of my life, and has had a hand in designing quite a few software products and now also hardware products,
That's fine, trust your experience; makes sense. I have been in the tech world for over 30 years and seen and participated in several technology markets blossom, plateau, and finally even fall away and give over to another. So yeah, I get tech stuff too.

And my point is that product classes mature and stop leap frogging each other, and enter a refinement phase. Anyone who expects the next hot smartphone to be *wildly* different than the others is in for disappointement and those developers hardly deserve to be thrown shade for being 'unoriginal' or 'lifting' things.

IMHO modelers are there, too. So taking one in particular to task like its some kind of cardinal sin to take the best of what they've seen to date and combine it into a product they feel has the best of current tech as some kind of problem strikes me as unnecessarily antagonistic from that perspective.

FWIW, I think you could easily argue that Neural really did a great job on industrial design, UI, and form factor for some segment of the market. But that is heresy here because everyone is still p*ssed about all the prelaunch hype and shady stuff the company has done. So, we cannot even spot them the things they have done well. I would expect someone who had some professionally relevant perspective to be able to recognize more pros and cons.

I'll take my experience over your teledildonic enthusiam.
LOL. Think what you want. Anyone who has interacted with me here or TGP and read the posts likely knows you are full of it on that point... I am hardly unrealistic about the QC. IMHO, Me, @laxu @mikah912 and @mbenigni were about the only people on TGP who could talk about the trade offs in a realistic way...

My 'teledildonic enthusiasm' for the device right now, is "you know it is a great alternative to a Kemper at this point, but take anything the company says with a grain of salt". My Axe 3 is still my #1 digital device.

That's why I find all the stuff here a little goofy and cliquey wrt the topic of the QC... where anything negative about this product that is actually quite solid at this point is immediately amplified and reiterated without any kind of justification, and any attempt to even say something slightly complimentary... like "you know at this point the FX, even if not mind blowing, are solid and fairly complete" is controversial and feels like it needs to be qualified to death to avoid death by a thousand memes.

Last edited:
I’ve never used a Boss GT, but the G-Force is one of my favorite units of all time, can’t say this is at all familiar within the QC ecosystem-

G-Force_routing.jpg

But these-
line6helix04-jWfmBPukLR0zHrVXZa2CdB_Rycn7cPr8.jpg

72a230-QuadCortex.jpg

…reeeeeealllllllly look a LOT alike.
And throw on top the shady things other companies said NDSP seemed to be doing in various interactions, makes you wonder. I'll keep it vague on purpose lol

I am hardly unrealistic about the QC
So why are you being such a combative knob head then??? If you've ever interacted with me on TGP about the QC, or Fractal or the Kemper forums, you'd know that I think it has a lot of plus points and that I'm a big fan of their modelling and their capture tech. I wrote a whole fucking article on how much more accurate it is than the Kemper (and by extension how much more accurate ToneX seems to be versus both of them)

So I'm by no means a hater, and to try and colour me as such based on a few sarcastic jokes, it's just the height of twattery tbh guv.

Why not? It's a signal path displayed left to right and top to bottom (well, more or less). Just monochrome with way less resolution and screen estate.

I think it's pretty easy to see who got the fact that I was taking the piss

Fwiw, I got that perfectly, but it kinda turned into a serious thing and IMO that demanded for some things to be set straight.

FWIW, I think you could easily argue that Neural really did a great job on industrial design, UI, and form factor for some segment of the market. But that is heresy here because everyone is still p*ssed about all the prelaunch hype and shady stuff the company has done.
I'd quibble some of this. The unit clearly has some grounding issues, whether it is the PSU or the unit itself, based on a lot of user comments and my experiences when owning one too. I think they rushed it to market and messed up some serious stuff that people are still dealing with - like poor wifi performance as well - and this stuff matters, because this isn't an inexpensive thing that you're just gonna throw away or sell off after 6 months. This is supposed to have a multi-year shelf life.

In this space your average bit of modern equipment has around a 7-10 year shelf life before the next thing really needs to be hitting .. erm.. shelves. Neural have burned through almost 3 of those and have delivered very few features or fixes in that. I'm seriously concerned for the future of the platform based on their track record.

IMO that demanded for some things to be set straight.
In that spirit, you're gonna have to explain what you mean by "all pitch shifters are polyphonic" because that flies completely in the face of both the common understanding of what polyphony means, and what the DSP under the hood is actually doing.

any attempt to even say slightly complimentary... something like "you know at this point the FX, even if not mind blowing, are solid and fairly complete" is controversial
It's only controversial because you admitted yourself that you don't really use effects. It's like me - a pudgy metaller man from the Midlands - talking about how effective tampons are. I just don't have any fucking clue, and it would be ludicrous and "controversial" for me to even attempt it!

Bottom line - if you don't use effects, then you aren't capable of judging whether they are solid or fairly complete.

Obviously the grid/lines are there and I agree that that’s the most simplistic way to lay that out. But come on, I‘d have to think someone is being intentionally obtuse if they can’t tell there’s a direct rip off going on with the icons.
They could have done literally ANYTHING with that large touch screen and the powerful ARM on board, imagination was the limit.
The dickwads went out of their way to check if the UI was patented (it isn't) before shamelessly ripping the entire thing off.

I'd quibble some of this. The unit clearly has some grounding issues, whether it is the PSU or the unit itself, based on a lot of user comments and my experiences when owning one too. I think they rushed it to market and messed up some serious stuff that people are still dealing with - like poor wifi performance as well - and this stuff matters, because this isn't an inexpensive thing that you're just gonna throw away or sell off after 6 months. This is supposed to have a multi-year shelf life.

In this space your average bit of modern equipment has around a 7-10 year shelf life before the next thing really needs to be hitting .. erm.. shelves. Neural have burned through almost 3 of those and have delivered very few features or fixes in that. I'm seriously concerned for the future of the platform based on their track record.
Absolutely. These concerns strike me mostly as fair and well justified. The WiFi thing is ridiculous, IMHO. We could reasonably have a discussion based on the above. I agree on a lot of this being downside for the device and something worth thinking about for a new purchaser. As someone who has owned one for a while I can even comment based on experience how relevant I find those. Etc. Much better than this "QC sux: come at me bro" stuff some folks seem to be wanting to engage in here.

"QC sux: come at me bro" stuff some folks seem to be wanting to engage in here.
See this is where I think we're clashing. Because you're characterising jokes, humour, sarcasm, and a sardonic attitude that is fairly common on this forum..... characterising it as a sort of echo-chamber cult specifically setup just to slag off Neural and the QC.

But the reality is, a lot of us were literally kicked off other forums explicitly because the admin and the clientele there WANTED to create an echochamber of positivity towards Neural and the QC. There was a period of time on TGP where you couldn't make a critical comment about the QC without having a ton of bricks dropped on you.

Even the stupid clone thread on TGP that I made - which was a literal copy of this one - got me a permanent ban from there, for no real reason other than "provocative thread" .... I mean... that says everything to me. I wasn't rude, I wasn't crude, I wasn't abusive, I wasn't cruel, or a bully, or anything that would and should normally result in a warning or a ban.

This is the free-land. You're pining for North Korea. Sorry. We aint giving it to you.

I'm happy to have a serious discussion about any aspect of the QC that you wish. Start a thread and tag me.

It's only controversial because you admitted yourself that you don't really use effects. It's like me - a pudgy metaller man from the Midlands - talking about how effective tampons are. I just don't have any f*****g clue, and it would be ludicrous and "controversial" for me to even attempt it!

Bottom line - if you don't use effects, then you aren't capable of judging whether they are solid or fairly complete.
FWIW: That's not really the case. I do use them. I just don't have the standards of like an ambient player or U2 cover artist and I was trying to make that clear. i.e. in my mind they can meet the standards of a guy who needs the basics and has owned enough high end stuff to bothered if they 'sucked'.

FWIW: That's not really the case. I do use them. I just don't have the standards of like an ambient player or U2 cover artist and I was trying to make that clear. i.e. in my mind they can meet the standards of a guy who needs the basics and has owned enough high end stuff to bothered if they 'sucked'.
You're talking to a guy who puts charts together like this....

1677089802194.png

So I'm more than willing to accept that I'm a nerd about FX, more so than others....

However there are some glaring omissions in the QC:

- No reverse delay
- Many modulation effects cannot be tempo-sync'd (or at least couldn't at launch)
- No polyphonic pitch effects
- Delays don't do self oscillation effects
- The global EQ uses soooooo much CPU that it is just unreal!

See this is where I think we're clashing. Because you're characterising jokes, humour, sarcasm, and a sardonic attitude that is fairly common on this forum..... characterising it as a sort of echo-chamber cult specifically setup just to slag off Neural and the QC.
FWIW, I was referring mostly to GZ there who literally was doing internet thug posing.

I'd wager my ratio of jokes/sarcasm to deadly serious stuff ratio for gear forums is one of the highest on this board. A lot of old timers would recognize if they haven't tuned out to the back and forth at this point.

I just find a lot of the ill informed repetitive stuff here on the QC to be not very clever and tired even if folks mean it in a funny. Sounds more like sour grapes than legitimate humor to me. Like the guy who repeats the exact same joke every time you see him. Think of something else.

But the reality is, a lot of us were literally kicked off other forums explicitly because the admin and the clientele there WANTED to create an echochamber of positivity towards Neural and the QC.
FWIW, *I* was kicked off TGP for slagging the QC last year. @JiveTurkey and I were stuck commiserating on SSO.

This is the free-land. You're pining for North Korea. Sorry. We aint giving it to you.
LOLWat?
I'm happy to have a serious discussion about any aspect of the QC that you wish. Start a thread and tag me.
Sure. I'm hitting my gear forum bandwidth limit for the day but sure, I'll continue to talk sh*t here. I'm certain you're going to. LOL.

You're talking to a guy who puts charts together like this....

View attachment 4492

So I'm more than willing to accept that I'm a nerd about FX, more so than others....

However there are some glaring omissions in the QC:

- No reverse delay
- Many modulation effects cannot be tempo-sync'd (or at least couldn't at launch)
- No polyphonic pitch effects
- Delays don't do self oscillation effects
- The global EQ uses soooooo much CPU that it is just unreal!
Yeah, I would characterize you as much more over the top than typical based on the above. Self awareness is a good thing

We could reasonably have a discussion.
Sticking to the device or business practices. Which is what people typically discuss about the Quad Cortex.

However you choose to make the discussion personal.

My philosophy in that case is why beat around the bush if things aren’t going to be pleasant.

You introduced that element.

Back