Is there anything inside the Quad Cortex that they didn't steal from someone else?

Fwiw, each and every pitch shifter is polyphonic - even an octaver. It all just depends on a) what you're expecting from it vs. b) what's delivered.

Even when you show these people posts from NDSP saying it isn't poly, and tell them exactly how they can reproduce the warbling artefacts themselves (which can be masked by high gain), they will still maintain it is polyphonic!

Yeah well - but you're getting quite some warble from some pitch shifters even if they're explicitely marketed as being polyphonic. They will usually work for powerchords and maybe triads, but throw a 4-part chord at them and very often, the warbling breaks lose.

Apart from that, there seem to be quite some people not understanding the way "polyphonic" is meant when used for a pitch shifter. It's obviously a pitch shifter being able to properly deal with polyphonic input signals - but some people seem to mistakenly think that once a pitch shifter can add 2 (or more signals) to a monophonic input, that'd make things polyphonic.

Getting down in the weeds on the "all in one" and circling back to the Tone-x topic; I haven't heard any really great sounding FX examples from the QC. Other than the "is it poly or not?" Pitch shifter.

I can't remember a single example of delay, verb or mod in any video/clip I've heard that would have me "jumping ship"¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It probably depends on how important FX are to you. I find it to be 'minimally FX complete' for me. Which means it has enough FX that I do not feel like that there is anything that is missing to consider it to have a complete set of all the stuff I would want and that those all seem to be sufficient quality that I am not really worried or feeling the need to add stomp boxes to it. When it released it was inadequate for sure. But they have at least got the all bases covered at this point.

One nice thing is it has the power run what feels like almost an arbitrary number of FX into each other or in parallel etc. A lot of funky FX are really just built from multiple base FX flavors (delay + mod). The FM3 is constantly running out of DSP. It doesn't matter how good the Chorus is if you can't put it in your signal chain.

I am not a huge FX person. If you are like a worship player or something it may be woefully inadequate, I dunno. I generally don't even like reverb as an effect on an amplified tone, f.ex. (i.e. through a cab in a room, the room is already 'verbing'). So take that FWIW, but I have not been using the QC and Fractals and felt like "Man this QC just is outclassed on the FX, I need to add something outboard".

But, yeah, Axe and Helix are both 'better'. Some of the sh*t people do with FX on the Axe makes my head spin.

I'd like to see some more flavors/variety of stuff, of course; and if a modeler to you is a multi-fx first it may not be your perfect device. In some ways Line 6 is my fave for an FX unit because I like their use model.

But really just like the misguided OP of this thread, I think there is a lot of predisposition among this group to immediately rag on anything about this device that borders on irrational, so it is pretty easy to just let confirmation bias kick in and set it on cruise control and every thread turns into a pile on.

Last edited:
But really just like the misguided OP of this thread, I think there is a lot of predisposition among this group to immediately rag on anything about this device that borders on irrational, so it is pretty easy to just let confirmation bias kick in and set it on cruise control and every thread turns into a pile on.
The Quad Cortex has largely been a bait and switch so far pure and simple. Two years in and it’s still not anywhere close to operating on its own as a device or within its overall ecosystem as described pre launch.

Prove me wrong.

Last edited:
Two years in and it’s still not anywhere close to operating on its own as a device or within its overall ecosystem as described pre launch.

But that simply doesn't seem to be relevant for many folks. I wouldn't want to deal with that, either (if for slightly different reasons than most others), but they seem to be doing pretty well, though.

The Quad Cortex has largely been a bait and switch so far pure and simple. Two years in and it’s still not anywhere close to operating on its own as a device or within its overall ecosystem as described pre launch.

Prove me wrong.
That's got nothing to do with the question he was responding to though?

Prove me wrong.
It's not my job to prove anything to you. If you want to say stupid sh*t or make illogical, unfounded, arguments, go for it. I'm not on commission.
it's still not anywhere close to operating on its own as a device
is utter non-sense. And is yeah, "irrational". IMHO.

But, yeah, I'm ready. I said something positive, even though it was heavily qualified about the Quad Cortex. So bring the memes and other childish echo chamber crap.

It's not my job to prove anything to you. If you want to say stupid sh*t or make illogical, unfounded, arguments, go for it. I'm not on commission.

But, yeah, I'm ready. I said something positive, even though it was heavily qualified about the Quad Cortex. So bring the memes and other childish echo chamber crap.
I’m not surprised you can’t mount a logical defense. Pretty weak minded on your part to resort to personal insults.

But they have at least got the all bases covered at this point.
No they don't. They don't even have a reverse delay. You don't use FX very much, so you're clearly not the right person to be making this determination.

As for me and my opening claims - they're sardonic comments based on the clearly observable facts. Gin & Tonic with a twist, if you like.

I've been very clear with what parts of the QC I like, and what parts I don't. Likewise with Helix and Axe FX III. Unlike a lot of forumers, I have a band and I actually write music. I'm not beholden to any manufacturer, and I remain objective.

Neural have done some cool shit. But they've also made a lot of fuck ups. That's how I see it. There's nothing misguided about that.

If you don't like it, no-one is forcing you to be here. There are plenty of sybian enthusiast forums you could go and join.

--> Off The Rails (Good Threads Gone Bad)

7c2mkv.jpg

No they don't. They don't even have a reverse delay. You don't use FX very much, so you're clearly not the right person to be making this determination.

As for me and my opening claims - they're sardonic comments based on the clearly observable facts. Gin & Tonic with a twist, if you like.

If you don't like it, no-one is forcing you to be here. There are plenty of sybian enthusiast forums you could go and join.
Okay, if reverse delay is a deal breaker. By all means don't get one. Call that out. Something not being there strikes me as a reaosnable complaint.

That said, your OP was utterly idiotic and basically amounted to "Hey Let's all talk sh*t about this device".

I can't think of too many devices in tech that are not an amalgamation of what came before them. It is hardly some kind of requirement that a device be wholly original to be a useful piece of technology. In fact, aggregating the best ideas that came before you is a critical function in marketplace and an important milestone in that technology space's evolution.

My TV's feature set is largely the same as any other but the features, functions, form factor, etc worked for me. It didn't have to be different or the most special unit on the market it needed to work for my application and environment. As markets for technology mature they converge on feature sets, defacto standards, and UIs, etc.

It is like smartphones where after four or five years into that revolution, a lot of dim-witted analysts were like where's the innovation? Like they expected every single product to have the features of the other but at the same time appear to be completely different.

So it basically makes the opening salvo in this thread at best a gross misunderstanding of how technology markets progress and develop and at worst, disingenuous asshattery.

Last edited:

Hey, just joking around. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I actually agree there is an irrational level of QC obsession/fixation around here, but it's funny and entertaining most of the time. (And common enemies make an excellent bonding/galvanizing element in a community, just ask any politician. ;))

You make a good point about the number of effects the QC can run at once.

Back