I Am Listening To Every Avenged Sevenfold Album In Chronological Order

Eerily similar here, JT. That tonality thing with singers is not something you can change,
or talk yourself into or out of. You either digs it, or you don't. :idk

I have moments with him where I am, "Oh hell yes!" and then others where I am "I hope I can
make it through this song." :LOL:

The best vocals on this song are not M. Shadows, but The Rev. To my ear. Pretty sure that is
him doing the borderline screamy vox here.

That whiny nasal through a megaphone line is a perfect example of what I don't dig. You know these dudes idolized Metallica and GnR and that is a knod to the latter in my mind. Not a good thing to my ears. Music is flawless commercial in a good way metal for the time though.

Yeah, that nasal thing gets to me as well.

And yes, @la szum, that’s The Rev on ”Critical Acclaim”….and all over the album doing the Devin Townsend-ish screams. Watch that making of vid I posted, man!

I. Just. Can't.

This is where they go way off the rails. For me. I applaud the ambition, but that whole Danny Elfman
film score vibe paired with Metal leanings is just an hard pass. For me.

And I love The Rev. But yeah, this is not a Peanut Butter and Chocolate pairing to my ears. :idk

I. Just. Can't.

This is where they go way off the rails. For me. I applaud the ambition, but that whole Danny Elfman

And I love The Rev. But yeah, this is not a Peanut Butter and Chocolate pairing to my ears. :idk

Laughs in Ziltoid :wat:(

And yet, I like the Pedal Steel and Country-tinged influences in this song. :idk

I think I am just allergic to film score vibes in rock and metal. I get the same "I can't turn this off fast enough"
vibes from Jordan Rudess when he inserts that kind of style into Dream Theatre.

Don't be getting too damn cute with your bad self, k? :LOL:

Laughs in Ziltoid :wat:(

It's the grandiosity of it all man. Devin does it, too. Sometimes. :idk

I am glad that's what they hear and that is what they want to shoot for. Guess I am
just too much of a simpleton to appreciate it. :LOL:

And part of that film score thing is---these are not movies. I don't want the "score" front
and center. A cinematic score is supposed to support the scenes on film or stage, and not
necessarily exist apart from them as their own entity.

It all just flies over my head.

confused laura dern GIF by EditingAndLayout

Reactions: JT
I. Just. Can't.

This is particularly why I recommend watching the making of, I’d be surprised if you don’t have a different appreciation for it after.

This is definitely one of my “That’s cute but I’m fine never hearing it again” songs from them, but it’s now the biggest fan favorite at show. I still dig how it came to be, though.

And this is pretty funny-

And yet, I like the Pedal Steel and Country-tinged influences in this song. :idk

I think I am just allergic to film score vibes in rock and metal. I get the same "I can't turn this off fast enough"

Music is good. Main vocal melody is good too. The harmonies are a little too sweet and he gets that scracthy throat nasal combo in that chorus that grates. Much better than the show tune stuff though \m/

I hate musicals/broadway stuff and while there’s SOME Elfman stuff I dig, a lot of it is basically “horror” themed musical shit. The campy thing, I can’t do it. I can’t do it in Vai’s music, either.

Palette cleansing day with some Mastodon. Sorry. Not sorry. :idk

It’s ok, you got one B-rating album coming up, then the Black Album wannabe, THEN it’s onto the good shit when they went straight up prog with The Stage.

I kind of miss his screaming, because the screaming broke up the monotony of his singing. Just feels
like he is too pinched to my ears. :idk

I kind of miss his screaming, because the screaming broke up the monotony of his singing. Just feels
like he is too pinched to my ears. :idk

Understandable, dude’s nasally sounding just with his normal speaking voice and the technique he uses of basically singing up through his nose just adds to it. If I couldn’t separate the technique from his voice it’d drive me up a wall. It gets to me as it is at times and I don’t even mind it much. :rofl

Back