I Listened To Every Dream Theater Album In Chronological Order

Haha! The only one I want a Participation Trohpy for was The Astonishing. That took effort, perseverance, and stamina. :brick
I think experiencing a band from the ground up album wise is great. DT is a precision outfit. Lots to take in even on one song. That was for your listening dedication.

Christopher Walken Salute To You GIF by Amazon Prime Video

I think experiencing a band from the ground up album wise is great. DT is a precision outfit. Lots to take in even on one song. That was for your listening dedication.

Appreciated! :beer

I think that GIF made my Man Boobs look larger than they are in person. :idk

(looks down and checks)

No reason why? :idk

Actually, I wanted to see if I could challenge my own assumptions about what I thought I knew about the DT catalog.
They seem to get a lot of love (except for poor James!), and many believe they have maybe become a caricature of
their own greatness and have lost their edge just a bit. Even Ola Englund asked John in a recent "Coffee with Ola"
episode if John ever felt like he or the band was repeating itself.

So I started to listen to an entire Album every day. Sometimes two. I only took days off when I had band practice. It's
kind of revelatory. I liked albums and songs I didn't think I would, and sort of had to revise what I thought was peak
Dream Theater.

This is my post-listening ranking. Take it for what it's worth. And please no James jokes. Those are as tired and worn
out as the old men that spew them. Save it for reddit! :LOL:

1. Images And Words: Without it there would be no Dream Theater catalog. It holds up. Big time!

2. Falling Into Infinity: Listening to it again now. Has some of John's best tones and playing on it, and the songs are diverse. Lines In The Sand!

3. Octavarium: This one surprised. The writing and arrangements are as tight as any album in their catalog.

4. Scenes From A Memory Pt. 2: They should have stopped making concept albums right here. A classic!

5. Train Of Thought: This is HEAVY Dream Theater. Punishing. Brutal. Brilliant.

6. Black Clouds And Silver Linings: Portnoy's last album with the band. Enough said.

7. Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence: Has a 42 minute entire 2nd Disc song. How much more Dream Theater can you get. Indulgence at its finest!

8. Awake: I remember liking this more than I did this time around. It felt phoned in in places and disjointed. Kevin Moore's last album.

9. Dream Theater: Apart from The Astonishing the back end of their catalog is f*****g great. I wanted to NOT like it. This is where my assumptions caved!

10. Distance Over Time: The production alone on the last few albums alone is worth the effort. Also, James and Auto-tune. :chef

11. A View From The Top Of The World: Any other band and these albums would be higher

12. A Dramatic Turn Of Events: Mangini's first album with the band. Can really notice the drums pulled back in the mix and the keys more forward. Meh.

13. Systematic Chaos: Sorry, but my least favourite Portnoy on drums album. Just felt like a lot of wankery. Systematic Chaos indeed!

14. When Dream And Day Unite: Very Rushy. Very cool. Just a little too indebted to their Heroes, and not yet having found their own voice. Still cool.

15. The Astonishing: Why? Just aiming too high here. Missed the mark. The ONLY Dream Theater album I probably will never listen to again. Just a slog.
No Pull Me Under???
wtf GIF

I thought I would rank Awake higher, too. That was the coolest thing about doing this. What I thought
beforehand changed. A little.

I haven't done a chronological listen like that for quite a while. When I first started my job and was one of the regular property engineers I'd be leaf blowing for 4-5 hours a day and went through Metallica and Pantera to keep the energy up, but I'd really love to do this with a lot of my long time favorite bands. It's been years since I've heard some of my favorite albums start to finish. AIC is the first band popping in my head on where to start, especially since they're a few albums deep with DuVall now, they've got a good sized catalog.

My best friend did this when we were roommates and I wanted to f*cking kill him after the first week. Dude still had like a month of songs left to listen to. :rofl

I can very much appreciate Zappa, but man, I felt like I was in an asylum.
Yeah. I'm a huge Zappa fan. But in a similar way to King Crimson. The dose makes the poison.

A little goes a long way. :D

My best friend did this when we were roommates and I wanted to f*cking kill him after the first week. Dude still had like a month of songs left to listen to. :rofl

I can very much appreciate Zappa, but man, I felt like I was in an asylum.

Haha! I used to carpool to gigs with a bass player who would bludgeon me with Frank. At epic volumes.

I nearly leapt from his Astrovan numerous times. :brick

He also loved The Barenaked Ladies. :facepalm

So been digging into Devin with the thoughts of going to see the DT/AAL/DT tour.

His setlist is like, oh; 3 songs out of 8 I would enjoy live. Probably 1 if I am being honest and wanting songs from these same old eras but better choices? It would be tough pulling from his discography for only 8 songs to be representative to a new audience he is probably reaching on this tour? Not sure if this is happening at all the stops but I know he is coming out and singing with LaBrie (jesus christ what a turd) on Spirit Carries On.
:wat:wat:wat:wat:wat:poop:
Maybe this song originally had impact when it was released? The LAST thing I want to hear is LaBrie singing it (or anything else, really). I really don't like this band :sick::rofl

Back