I Am Listening To Every Mastodon Album In Chronological Order

Dude, Brann's choruses in this song.....goooodddaaaaammmnnnnn

It's like the saddest angel to ever exist. :rofl

This song, man....I can't tell you how many times I listened to this on repeat last year. This whole album. I was stoked to hear songs from it Thursday night and I could rock out to it and not go back to that period. But I also suppose that's why it was such a relief, I could still rock out while being miserable! :ROFLMAO:

Dude, Brann's choruses in this song.....goooodddaaaaammmnnnnn

It's like the saddest angel to ever exist. :rofl

This song, man....I can't tell you how many times I listened to this on repeat last year. This whole album. I was stoked to hear songs from it Thursday night and I could rock out to it and not go back to that period. But I also suppose that's why it was such a relief, I could still rock out while being miserable! :ROFLMAO:
I've never heard this song. This is some melancholic perfection if there ever was such a thing. Goddamn.

So much for sounding smarter than I am. :whistle

:rofl

That’s ok, I just sound like a pedantic prick, ha.

Also, I was thinking later, a tritone of sorts can be heard between the last note of the intro riff and the first note as it repeats (G to Db).

Although to my ear the more prominent interval is the minor 9 / minor 2nd thing, overtop of the C drone.

The only truth in the real universe, atm, is that Megalodon is a mutha fuggah for me to learn, given my current level of expertise. But damn, it's one fun little puzzle piece. It has a little bit of everything, all wrapped up nice and nea... well, it's kind of all over the place - but that's what makes it so much fun to struggle on.

The only truth in the real universe, atm, is that Megalodon is a mutha fuggah for me to learn, given my current level of expertise. But damn, it's one fun little puzzle piece. It has a little bit of everything, all wrapped up nice and nea... well, it's kind of all over the place - but that's what makes it so much fun to struggle on.

There are so many Mastodon tunes I get inspired to learn, then about 5 minutes into it I’m like “You know man, I’m going to ruin the magic of this song by learning it….I’d rather just listen” (aka ‘I’m a pussy and don’t feel like putting effort into this :rofl ) There’s some seriously tricky stuff in there; whether it’s a timing thing or just trying to make sense of the individual parts, or both.

There are so many Mastodon tunes I get inspired to learn, then about 5 minutes into it I’m like “You know man, I’m going to ruin the magic of this song by learning it….I’d rather just listen” (aka ‘I’m a pussy and don’t feel like putting effort into this :rofl ) There’s some seriously tricky stuff in there; whether it’s a timing thing or just trying to make sense of the individual parts, or both.
Heh! I know the feeling. That's happened to me for lots of songs, although I'm sure for a different reason than you (me still being a noob).

Megalodon is a blast though, if you haven't tried it - you should! The mind behind these licks & riffs (Brent almost assuredly) thinks in a very cool way.

Wow. That is so interesting. As much as I love Mastodon, and as long as I have listened, I have not learned a
single riff or lick. :facepalm

I should do something about that.

Wow. That is so interesting. As much as I love Mastodon, and as long as I have listened, I have not learned a
single riff or lick. :facepalm

I should do something about that.
gloria swanson GIF

No way I can rank these accurately. Spent 3 days arguing with myself about it. :facepalm

The cool thing, for me, about Mastodon is this: they haven't put out a dud. Not one.

I could change around the order of the top 4 on my ranking, and not have an issue.
This is just what I think, and feel, today. :beer

8. Remission--Their debut release. Full of passion and intensity. A little rough around the edges in all the right ways.

7. Once More Around The Sun---Just not as moved as much by this album as others. Many bands would peak with an album this good, though.

6. Emperor of Sand--Again, their 6th best album by my ranking could still be the best album another band could ever do.

5. Blood Mountain--This is where I hear the true beginnings of Mastodon taking shape. That moodiness merges with the maniacal mayhem.

4. The Hunter--Just a great group of songs. This is the most streamlined and direct Mastodon, and it works.

3. Crack The Skye--Easily Number 1 on many people's rankings. Just a timeless release. I could listen to it a thousand times more!

2. Hushed And Grim--Maybe not as heavy overall, but the songwriting and performances are second to none. Love this album!

1. Leviathan--The album where the production matches the talent and execution in the band. Moby Dick and Metal? Yes, please!

Now excuse me while I go listen to more Mastodon. :beer

Back