I Am Listening To Every Queensryche Album In Chronological Order

Man, I had not heard of that. I'm just shaking my head. Why is it that every thing a celebrity does in their personal lives has to become a reality tv show or a documentary?

To me he always just comes off as a guy who explores things his own way without reference to how it may be received. The problem is, to me, he's a modern artist in the sense that he thinks of he does anything at all he has no problem calling it art. The rub to me is that I genuinely love many of his films for their otherworldly intensity, but it's always a mixed bag. I think he's had some great, and a ton of terrible, acting that he's directed, which makes me think the good acting was luck, not his skill as a director. I think so much about him is bullshit, but I love many of his films, because, when he happens to direct actors who aren't terrible, the strangeness creates its own cinematic language that is, to me, heightened and unique and at times even sublime.

To me he has done really well in creating dreamlike and nightmare like states of mind in cinema, more effectively than most. Last night we watched the Joaquin Phoenix film I Was Never Really Here, in which the director was 100% going for a dreamlike state for the whole thing, but combining it with a combination of Bergman and Tarkovsky, both of whom are generally very very quiet and subtle. Lynch on the other hand, can be jarring and loud and shocking and bombastic in his dream and nightmare states on the screen, to a much different effect. I like dreamlike language in film overall.

In the early '80's I heard their EP on one of the FM radio 11pm shows, so I bought it then The Warning and Rage for Order. Man I wore those out, especially RFO - that baby kept me awake on many a 2am drive from my MD hometown back to Nofukk, vajayjay Navy base.

I remember well when Operation Mindcrime was released in '88! I was in the Navy at Pensacola, FL for some more school. There was a ton of hype for this one, pre-internet hype, but hyped really well. I was there to get it ASAP and it didn't disappoint then, and it never never never has since. Epic achievement that sits up their with some of the best from Rush.

Now, that Empire crap pissed me off worse than the Black Album. Don't even get me started :clint Once women started liking QR, I was done! Yeah, I was young and dumb then vs old and dumb now. But if I could've become the AI in RFO, I would've been pushing those buttons to bring death upon the whole lot of 'em. :grin

I'm going to silent lucidity my arse right up out of this thread, to never return.

In the early '80's I heard their EP on one of the FM radio 11pm shows, so I bought it then The Warning and Rage for Order. Man I wore those out, especially RFO - that baby kept me awake on many a 2am drive from my MD hometown back to Nofukk, v****a Navy base.

I remember well when Operation Mindcrime was released in '88! I was in the Navy at Pensacola, FL for some more school. There was a ton of hype for this one, pre-internet hype, but hyped really well. I was there to get it ASAP and it didn't disappoint then, and it never never never has since. Epic achievement that sits up their with some of the best from Rush.

Now, that Empire crap pissed me off worse than the Black Album. Don't even get me started :clint Once women started liking QR, I was done! Yeah, I was young and dumb then vs old and dumb now. But if I could've become the AI in RFO, I would've been pushing those buttons to bring death upon the whole lot of 'em. :grin

I'm going to silent lucidity my arse right up out of this thread, to never return.
I agree with you 100% on Silent Lucidity but I do like the rest of Empire. "We're mature musicians now so we are no longer metal" approach be damned. I can respect what you are saying.

I agree with you 100% on Silent Lucidity but I do like the rest of Empire. "We're mature musicians now so we are no longer metal" approach be damned. I can respect what you are saying.
Hell I was still pretty young then! I can appreciate the album now - still not my thing, necessarily, but it was well orchestrated.

• 100%
Reactions: JT
Man, I had not heard of that. I'm just shaking my head. Why is it that every thing a celebrity does in their personal lives has to become a reality tv show or a documentary?

To me he always just comes off as a guy who explores things his own way without reference to how it may be received. The problem is, to me, he's a modern artist in the sense that he thinks of he does anything at all he has no problem calling it art. The rub to me is that I genuinely love many of his films for their otherworldly intensity, but it's always a mixed bag. I think he's had some great, and a ton of terrible, acting that he's directed, which makes me think the good acting was luck, not his skill as a director. I think so much about him is bullshit, but I love many of his films, because, when he happens to direct actors who aren't terrible, the strangeness creates its own cinematic language that is, to me, heightened and unique and at times even sublime.

To me he has done really well in creating dreamlike and nightmare like states of mind in cinema, more effectively than most. Last night we watched the Joaquin Phoenix film I Was Never Really Here, in which the director was 100% going for a dreamlike state for the whole thing, but combining it with a combination of Bergman and Tarkovsky, both of whom are generally very very quiet and subtle. Lynch on the other hand, can be jarring and loud and shocking and bombastic in his dream and nightmare states on the screen, to a much different effect. I like dreamlike language in film overall.

If you get a chance to watch that Doc it is VERY entertaining and illuminating in a "watch
your heroes destroy themselves in front of you," kind of way.

He idolized David Lynch and was a film student, and he thought the Doc he was making
would be an homage to his hero, instead of what it actually became. Very entertaining,
and disturbing.

If you get a chance to watch that Doc it is VERY entertaining and illuminating in a "watch
your heroes destroy themselves in front of you," kind of way.

He idolized David Lynch and was a film student, and he thought the Doc he was making
would be an homage to his hero, instead of what it actually became. Very entertaining,
and disturbing.

Last night we watched a conversation between Kyle MacLachlan and Lara Dern talking about him for half an hour and it was so hard to make out what they were saying because his dick was so far down their throats. She was so pretentious and sycophantic, which is a shame because I think she's really good as an actor. MacLachlan was more charismatic and marginally more real, but he just stank of too easy of a life.

I might always love many of David Lynch's films, but I will always have to temper that with knowing how much bullshit he is. I'll have to weigh whether I can watch the documentary or if it would be too much to take.

So just watched a clip of Tate's band doing Eyes of a Stranger from KK's Steel Mill last night. Tate sounds good. Not the vocal trainwreck that he certainly could be considering how high a level his vocal talent has been historically? He's certainly not Kiske good; but altering his approach just a bit kept the song sounding like it should without dropping the key 4 steps or wtfever. The guitarists were actually doing the DeGarmo/Wilton thing much better than Wilton and current guy :unsure:

They are going to be an hourish away from me in September and I am wondering if it's something I should pursue?

So just watched a clip of Tate's band doing Eyes of a Stranger from KK's Steel Mill last night. Tate sounds good. Not the vocal trainwreck that he certainly could be considering how high a level his vocal talent has been historically? He's certainly not Kiske good; but altering his approach just a bit kept the song sounding like it should without dropping the key 4 steps or wtfever. The guitarists were actually doing the DeGarmo/Wilton thing much better than Wilton and current guy :unsure:

They are going to be an hourish away from me in September and I am wondering if it's something I should pursue?

I wish I would have seen him when he was here. I can’t remember if I forgot or just didn’t know he was here, but I was bummed I didn’t see it after. Seems he took his criticisms to heart and went about changing things up with both his effort and the band members. Pretty sure he hired an entirely new band and they’re definitely doing a good job at playing the old material, at least they’re actually learning it!

Even though he’s not nailing all those notes, I’d MUCH rather hear him put the effort in and NOT nail them than to just phone it in night after night like he did for about 20 years.

• 100%
I wish I would have seen him when he was here. I can’t remember if I forgot or just didn’t know he was here, but I was bummed I didn’t see it after. Seems he took his criticisms to heart and went about changing things up with both his effort and the band members. Pretty sure he hired an entirely new band and they’re definitely doing a good job at playing the old material, at least they’re actually learning it!

Even though he’s not nailing all those notes, I’d MUCH rather hear him put the effort in and NOT nail them than to just phone it in night after night like he did for about 20 years.
Absolutely. I was pleasantly surprised at the cips I listened to. He's still a bit, um; theatrical but it still looks like it's working for him.

Absolutely. I was pleasantly surprised at the cips I listened to. He's still a bit, um; theatrical but it still looks like it's working for him.

Hahahaha to whatever capacity “working” is. At least he’s not wearing bike shorts without a shirt and singing into a headset mic again like on the Promised Land tour, but those f*cking spins….

• Haha
Off topic, but I would have loved to go to Le Studio some day. So sad it doesn't exist anymore. :(

Just found and reading through this awesome thread now…:rolleyes:

My daughter, who kinda, sorta has some fringe connection to the band’s legacy keepers, actually got hold of someone who was involved in the demo of Le Studio that was given the blessing of selling off some of the bits. I am the proud owner of small pieces of the studio floor that she framed up with a pic of Neil and a COA (whatever that’s worth…) that she gave me a couple of years ago. It was one of the most thoughtful gifts I have ever received.

Back on topic…(I may actually comment on it later :p)

Geoff was in a pre Ryche band called Tyrant with Adam Brenner/Adam Bomb. Adam did an album with TKO, then went solo and has put out about 10 or so albums since then. He knew Chris as well, and it's interesting to read him talk about them in his book.

This is going to be great!

That’s definitely interesting. Chris has refused any interviews since he left and seems to be quite successful in his 2nd career, I’m very curious as to why he’s opening up now, even if it is just for these albums. I’ll definitely buy it!

Tate did a show here a few weeks back at a SMALL venue. There looked to be no stage to speak of and he was on the ground floor in a room that looked like it was rated for 200 people tops. Had a couple of friends who went and posted Tate close-up pics that looked like a gig from one of the bars we played at in the late 90s :eek:

I just read about the lawsuits between Rockenfield and Jackson / Wilton. I'll tell you, when I saw them on the Empire / Rage for Order Suite tour in the aughts, the only person playing like he cared was Rockenfield. With him out of the band, my interest is out of the band too.

Hell, with just about every band I love, I only like three albums usually. For Queensryche, I like all the albums from the first EP up to Promised Land, so that's a great run in my eyes. And the first one with La Torre had great stuff too, in my opinion. So with the large amount of their work that I love, I can't begrudge all their work that made me puke, or the terrible decisions they made at different parts haha.

Best concert video I've ever seen. Lots of it has a bit too much MTV quick edit but not enough to spoil anything. I'd listened to the album to death by the time this came out so it was mind completely blown to bits.

Best concert video I've ever seen. Lots of it has a bit too much MTV quick edit but not enough to spoil anything. I'd listened to the album to death by the time this came out so it was mind completely blown to bits.

1000%!!! I watched that last night. Again. :love

My mind is in this phase where I want to find a great group of guys (or gals) and learn
an entire album together.

I may hit that dude up with the epic pipes I met this past summer and see if he is tired of
playing the mother fooking Goo Goo Dolls and really ready to man up and use his
pipes for what God intended. :LOL:

Will give him more time to wallow and stew in his own self-chosen mediocrity. :hmm

Last edited:
Back