Fender Tone Master Pro: Episode IV - A New Hope

I found those X pedals a sort of “nearly, but not quite” attempt. They seemed to blow them out for next to nothing not long ago.

If they released a single pedal with all of them combined, it would be a pretty solid multi fx. I can’t say I was too struck on the sound of them but functionally they’d cover a good amount of ground.

Guessing they’ll return with another stab at it, and maybe TMP and QC will get them thinking - QC has shown that a modeller+capture device is something users are interested in.

Another thing that I always forget with IK is they have ipad versions of Amplitube and ToneX that get so overlooked. If Fractal/NDSP/Line 6 were offering this we’d all lose our shit, and with IK it goes almost completely under the radar.
ya, the Fractal software thing is something we can all agree on that it would be fantastic. Although, the dedicated computational power and latency would be interesting.
NDSP could always take a swing at it with their plugins.
As for line 6, there is always this. Yep, rub your eyes. We're back to 1999.

1722194471192.png

Attachments

• 1722193537719.png
    1722193537719.png
    828.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
ya, the Fractal software thing is something we can all agree on that it would be fantastic. Although, the dedicated computational power and latency would be interesting.
NDSP could always take a swing at it with their plugins.
As for line 6, there is always this. Yep, rub your eyes. We're back to 1999.

View attachment 25704
True , that why I think LINE6 next big release will probably have the biggest chance to be NEW and forward thinking and catch many by surprise

True , that why I think LINE6 next big release will probably have the biggest chance to be NEW and forward thinking and catch many by surprise
From an IOS standpoint, unless they can compete with NAM I'm not sure what they can bring to the table. There are already a few (free) IOS NAM apps out there. However, they are Line6 and they can do anything they want. Globally, not just IOS related, their next product might rock the market.

I don't disagree with anything you stated.

With regards to Kemper, I don't think there will be a Kemper 2 either. I see Christoph as a visionary that had an idea and in his mind he fulfilled his goal. He opted to add a few additional platforms that utilized the original tech.
As products all reach as close as they can get to replacing amps I wonder where things will go. I think usability and and the enjoyment factor will become increasing important.
After trying the TMP I think they have the easiest device hands down.
They did what Neural attempted to do with the touch screen without the ridiculous preset sharing/liking/cloud setup.
I also wouldn't count out all of the smaller NAM related players. I think they will ultimately bring prices down as more people will realize they can do things cheaper.
As far as each company's vision, I have no idea but I can't see NDSP continuing to create the same rehashed plugins forever. They are all basically the same thing and now with X series and the porting into the QC, the overlap will really show.
Fractal will continue as long as Cliff wants it to but ultimately I think he's achieved what he set out to do.
They can't make a simple GUi. Sure they could add bluetooth, wifi, a touchscreen but ultimately you will still be leafing through 7 screens of amp parameters and that's the strength of Fractal. Cliff could stop now and go out on top for creating the most robust platform. It's all up to him.
I drew the comparison to Christoph not based on the Kemper device but based on a guy who set out to do something and did it then relaxed. I think the Kemper unit is still great.
Could it be better, sure. They could be on their 5th version already but CK was content.
Line 6 can do whatever they want but as everything already sounds so close I'm not sure what they will add to the equation. Their effects are not top shelf. Their device has never sounded the best. They used to have the best UI. Yamaha has never been the best at anything. Very good products though. Line 6 seems to fit that mold. Sure, they could adopt capturing or NAM integration but that won't make them unique in any way.
Fender has an opportunity to take a very user friendly device and perfect its simplicity by adding a few already globally adopted features like scenes/snapshots and then leave it alone. (Not as much as Kemper but more like BOSS) They could attempt to add plugin functionality through Presonus and have their amps DAW based.

I'm just thinking out loud
I could get by with any of these units in their current state, but usability/ease of use will play a factor in sales. I still like Tonex and if they ever marketed a full modeler and made a better UI, I would buy it. If they did it right, i think it would end NDSP. Will they, probably not.

As it stands, my Axe3/fc12 is currently up for sale in an attempt to acquire an Fm9 and potentially the TMP again if they play their cards right.
This is my 2 cents on the the modelling landscape at the moment

NDSP: truly I think if NDSP had succeeded out of the gate with all they promised, Captures, Editor, Plug Compatibility , we would be having a different conversation , they had the opportunity to be a "game changer" at least 3 .5 years ago . their Achilles heel the Pcom just totally hung them and has brought any development to a halt or a best a slow crawl . How different would it be if we had 3 years of updates , I suspect we would have a much more robust and mature product .
I don't think they ever expected to have to redo and rebuild all the plugin from the ground up , I think Doug and the other hire ups honestly thought converting software to hardware was a much easier task .

Doug I think is mostly involved with the designs and office stuff , he also bought a gym so I think he is more interested in outside interests and possibly other financial ventures , you don't see much of him . I suspect Neural next step will be realeasing the mini Cortex "nano" and trying to build an Ecosystem much like Line6 , trying to expand the product line and hit lower price points , I honestly don't think they predicted ToneX so soon and certainly not at that price point .

LINE6 - It obvious they are working on a big project . DI says in the works for probably the past 10 years , and they are putting a lot of faith in the next big thing , being able to dominate the market , the fact that the updates are down to one a year and smaller . and the fact that they have been going after the low price point for the past 2 years , with pod go , catalyst, express etc , re confirms that likely its all hands on deck elsewhere , when we talk Ecosystems and being able to provide products for every level of player from beginner to Pro , I don't think there is anyone that does that better

Kemper: I agree with what has been said about CK. he had a vision and a mission and accomplished that a long time ago , I think he caved with the player , and decided how can we get into that lower price bracket , as HX. stomp is the best selling product, he did not want to leave money on the table , although I also Agee with Laxu he is about 3 or 4 years too late .

TMP" don't really know much about this one , its obvious Fender has deep pockets, out of the gate it was pretty bad , but they have reacted and improved the sound quality in a relatively quick turnaround , hey Jon likes them now so they can't be so bad , I have to deduct 5 points because DougB is their spokesperson , but other than that they seem to be on the right track
I also feel they will need to expand the product line and have a TMP stomp at some point if they want to get into that Helix stomp ,Kemper player bracket , they are obviously the new kids on the block and I wish them well but they have some catching up to do , no doubt

Last edited:
What if the fractal fm had a temp/qc gui? Would fractal guys NOT buy it? I think the fractal guts in a temp or qc body would be IT. I mean even without profiling. Then what would fractal naysayers have to complain about?

I don't disagree with anything you stated.

With regards to Kemper, I don't think there will be a Kemper 2 either. I see Christoph as a visionary that had an idea and in his mind he fulfilled his goal. He opted to add a few additional platforms that utilized the original tech.
As products all reach as close as they can get to replacing amps I wonder where things will go. I think usability and and the enjoyment factor will become increasing important.
After trying the TMP I think they have the easiest device hands down.
They did what Neural attempted to do with the touch screen without the ridiculous preset sharing/liking/cloud setup.
I also wouldn't count out all of the smaller NAM related players. I think they will ultimately bring prices down as more people will realize they can do things cheaper.
As far as each company's vision, I have no idea but I can't see NDSP continuing to create the same rehashed plugins forever. They are all basically the same thing and now with X series and the porting into the QC, the overlap will really show.
Fractal will continue as long as Cliff wants it to but ultimately I think he's achieved what he set out to do.
They can't make a simple GUi. Sure they could add bluetooth, wifi, a touchscreen but ultimately you will still be leafing through 7 screens of amp parameters and that's the strength of Fractal. Cliff could stop now and go out on top for creating the most robust platform. It's all up to him.
I drew the comparison to Christoph not based on the Kemper device but based on a guy who set out to do something and did it then relaxed. I think the Kemper unit is still great.
Could it be better, sure. They could be on their 5th version already but CK was content.
Line 6 can do whatever they want but as everything already sounds so close I'm not sure what they will add to the equation. Their effects are not top shelf. Their device has never sounded the best. They used to have the best UI. Yamaha has never been the best at anything. Very good products though. Line 6 seems to fit that mold. Sure, they could adopt capturing or NAM integration but that won't make them unique in any way.
Fender has an opportunity to take a very user friendly device and perfect its simplicity by adding a few already globally adopted features like scenes/snapshots and then leave it alone. (Not as much as Kemper but more like BOSS) They could attempt to add plugin functionality through Presonus and have their amps DAW based.

I'm just thinking out loud
I could get by with any of these units in their current state, but usability/ease of use will play a factor in sales. I still like Tonex and if they ever marketed a full modeler and made a better UI, I would buy it. If they did it right, i think it would end NDSP. Will they, probably not.

As it stands, my Axe3/fc12 is currently up for sale in an attempt to acquire an Fm9 and potentially the TMP again if they play their cards right.
Tmp also will need to add alot more amps and effects to hang with the others. Not just 1 or 5 more but lots more

Tmp also will need to add alot more amps and effects to hang with the others. Not just 1 or 5 more but lots more
Not necessarily , I mean there are some people that want 300 amps , personally I sometimes feel that can get in the way of creativity
I mean if you have the Fenders, voxes, Boutique Class A stuff like DrZ , matchless
Marshalls 2 or 3 and a handful of the modern high gainers , I think you could do fine
say 50 amp models would probably be enough for most , in the Fractal I honestly use about 10 . when a new one comes out I will always check it out but most of the time I stick with the main ones

I think it’s great they continue working on it and improving. But until they fix the GUI and get the modeling on at least the same level as the Helix, the TMP will continue playing catch up.

I mean there are some people that want 300 amps
Fractal doesn’t really have 300 amps though - it’s more like 300 amp channels and modes. Isn’t there like 12 BE100 models? and the Mark series amps all take up several each, same for JMP-1, JVM etc.

It’s still a very comprehensive list but it’s not as over the top as 300 amps sounds. I’d definitely like to see them organised better - the difference between the BE100 models is comparatively small compared to a totally different amp, despite the fact they’re all presented as distinct models.

I think it’s great they continue working on it and improving. But until they fix the GUI and get the modeling on at least the same level as the Helix, the TMP will continue playing catch up.

They’ll never fully catch up with Line 6 or Fractal, there’s just way too much of a head start there. But they’re very smart to not be aiming at that market right now. The TMP is a great choice for people just getting into modeling, so many of the missing things that power users want to see mean much less to somebody starting out with this stuff. Which means that the TMP can grow right alongside it’s owners in that regard.

They’ll never fully catch up with Line 6 or Fractal, there’s just way too much of a head start there. But they’re very smart to not be aiming at that market right now. The TMP is a great choice for people just getting into modeling, so many of the missing things that power users want to see mean much less to somebody starting out with this stuff. Which means that the TMP can grow right alongside it’s owners in that regard.
I think some of their models are already there but the non fender/5150 models need more work.
The touch screen is better than the QC as is the user experience IMO.
More sics would help with the Marshally side.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think the TMP will ever be as comprehensive a solution as Fractal but I don't think that is their intention. I'm a 5150 guy and I would be content with the TMP right now if it had better eqs, snapshots and better LP and hp slope options. The internal cabs are better than most but a 5 band peq would help.

I think some of their models are already there but the non fender/5150 models need more work.
The touch screen is better than the QC as is the user experience IMO.
More sics would help with the Marshally side.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think the TMP will ever be as comprehensive a solution as Fractal but I don't think that is their intention. I'm a 5150 guy and I would be content with the TMP right now if it had better eqs, snapshots and better LP and hp slope options. The internal cabs are better than most but a 5 band peq would help.
I mean, this is subjective. But as a computer guy, the GUI is a hilarious waste of space that throws away real estate for cutsy Nintendo graphics. I loathe this type of shit.

I mean, this is subjective. But as a computer guy, the GUI is a hilarious waste of space that throws away real estate for cutsy Nintendo graphics. I loathe this type of shit.
I hated the idea at first but I actually like it now. With both Fractal, Helix and QC I stare at an amp block, then have to click to remember what amp I'm using.
Here the path and amp are in clear focus. If you touch the amp you get the controls. If you touch the outs it configures outs. It's as easy as it gets.
Fractal users wanted a bigger display. Here you have an enlarged screen and scribble strips from the get go. I do still have the mk2 fc12

Well I would have liked to see way more fender amps then say fractal has at launch I mean it is fender right?

Back