NGD Tone Master

itchyfingers

Roadie
No it's not the Tone Master Pro, but it is a Tone Master Super Reverb. I am modeling like Zoolander, bros!

Lx2lKXWl.jpg

Got a smoking deal on this new amp. Was sorta in the market for a bright clean amp, so I pulled the trigger. I got it expecting to poopoo it, then flip it for a few bucks, as most reviews I watched / read are pretty terrible. However, I gotta say after playing it all weekend, I am really impressed. I must not have good ears like YT influencers, lol.

On its own, it nails that patented Fender glassy clean, all the way up through cranked overdriven goodness, and it feels pretty legit under my fingers. Its the most "high fidelity" sounding amp I've played - like almost too bright at times, but I am guessing that as I break in the alnico Jensens it may warm up a bit. It gets just as loud as the real deal, with little effort, but can also conveniently be dialed back to 22w and halving all the way down to 0.5w - tone stays consistent at every level, just way more control over the volume than a single channel tube amp. The only place it sorta falls short "for a tube amp" is that when you slam the front end with gain, it doesn't get sweeter / compressed the way a non master-volume tube amp does. In fact, I was noticing it really only wants to see unity gain from my drive pedals - maybe this is a common digital / modeling thing? Anyway, was still able to get some very usable tones with some careful selection and stacking of pedals, combined with good old fashioned guitar volume knob rolling. The best part is it weighs less than my Princeton Reverb, despite being the size of a college dorm room fridge. I fully plan to gig it.

Anyone else have one of these Tone Masters? Your thoughts after the honeymoon is up?

I’ve had the Deluxe and blonde Twin versions. I think your assessment is pretty spot on, I’d say the same thing.

I don’t know how much experience you’ve got with tube Super Reverbs, but they’ve got that hi-fi thing you mention. Breaking in the speakers should help though.

The honeymoon for me ended when I played the TM Deluxe Reverb next to a ‘64 Custom Deluxe Reverb… I could never un-hear the difference and soon sold the TM.

Ooh yeah, I'm not sure if even a modern DRRI would stand up to a comparison against the real deal like that! :LOL:

I certainly wasn't expecting the TM to be > a real SR, but I'll be damned if it isn't more convenient than a real SR, and close enough for rock n roll.

Ooh yeah, I'm not sure if even a modern DRRI would stand up to a comparison against the real deal like that! :LOL:

I certainly wasn't expecting the TM to be > a real SR, but I'll be damned if it isn't more convenient than a real SR, and close enough for rock n roll.

Yeah, they are solid workhorses with some features that make them way more appealing for gigging!

I loved the weight, the XLR out, and how quiet it was!

Back