Dream Theater Megathread

I went to one of Mike’s drum clinics back in ‘98 or ‘99 and he didn’t spit even once. Must have been the carpeted conference room.

Anyone get the feeling this entire thing was planned?

As in, Mike says, "Hey guys, I'm bored. I wanna put DT on a 5 year hiatus." Guys basically say, Ok, go do your thing, but we'll move on. Get it out of your system, and when/if that happens, the door will be open, IF the drummer we find to take you place is cool with you coming back.

Then someone else says, "Hey, let's add in some drama, make it seem like there's some fallout behind the scenes, you have a change-of-heart, but by then it'll be too late. We'll do a video series showing our search for the new drummer (even though we've already pretty much agreed on MM.) Imagine how the fans will react when/if you do come back, and how it could even rejuvenate the band's career, if for some reason the energy, or whatever, trails off after you leave. It could be our own take on reality TV."

Everybody: "Great Idea!"

As in, Mike says, "Hey guys, I'm bored. I wanna put DT on a 5 year hiatus." Guys basically say, Ok, go do your thing, but we'll move on. Get it out of your system, and when/if that happens, the door will be open, IF the drummer we find to take you place is cool with you coming back.

Then someone else says, "Hey, let's add in some drama, make it seem like there's some fallout behind the scenes, you have a change-of-heart, but by then it'll be too late. We'll do a video series showing our search for the new drummer (even though we've already pretty much agreed on MM.) Imagine how the fans will react when/if you do come back, and how it could even rejuvenate the band's career, if for some reason the energy, or whatever, trails off after you leave. It could be our own take on reality TV."

I mean, maybe. It’s not something that really hurts anyone, and it’s called “show biz” for a reason.

Man, that'd be inviting a WHOLE lot of drama into the lives of a bunch of people just for the sake of a marketing ploy, I really don't see the guys going that far. Allowing cameras to be a fly on the wall, playing around with different drummers in a prog-metal nerd's wet dream reality show they could bang out over the course of a week is one thing but this was 13 years. People were hurt, pissed, upset, all the usual fan things when long time members leave, then they had to deal with people asking and focusing on that aspect of them the entire time.

Not one DT discussion since Mangini has been in hasn't turned into a Portnoy VS. Mangini era is better/less than discussion. It's been like that in every Blabbermouth comment section and while it's kept people talking, I don't think that's what the band wants people talkin' about and thinking about when taking their music in.

Man, that'd be inviting a WHOLE lot of drama into the lives of a bunch of people just for the sake of a marketing ploy, I really don't see the guys going that far. Allowing cameras to be a fly on the wall, playing around with different drummers in a prog-metal nerd's wet dream reality show they could bang out over the course of a week is one thing but this was 13 years. People were hurt, pissed, upset, all the usual fan things when long time members leave, then they had to deal with people asking and focusing on that aspect of them the entire time.

Not one DT discussion since Mangini has been in hasn't turned into a Portnoy VS. Mangini era is better/less than discussion. It's been like that in every Blabbermouth comment section and while it's kept people talking, I don't think that's what the band wants people talkin' about and thinking about when taking their music in.
Yeah, great points.

@hemmelight, I hijacked your thread and it's now the DT Megathread.

To kick off the re-branding, here's a really killer show from 2005. Video quality isn't the best but it's got great audio and Petrucci's tone is pretty fucking stellar here, wasn't quite as chocolate cake-y yet and LaBrie is having a damn good night. Could use some more Awake/ACOS, but that's a pretty good setlist!

Intro (In The Name Of God)
The Root Of All Evil 00:46
Panic Attack 08:45
A Fortune In Lies 16:02
Under A Glass Moon 21:14
Caught In A Web 29:10
Peruvian Skies 35:14
Strange Deja Vu 45:48
Through My Words 50:58
Fatal Tragedy 52:02
Solitary Shell 58:50
About To Crash (Reprise) 01:04:16
Losing Time/Grand Finale 01:08:34
-15 min Intermission-
As I Am 01:13:28
Endless Sacrifice 01:20:52
I Walk Beside You 01:33:28
Sacrificed Sons 01:37:50
Octavarium 01:48:30
EncoreJohn Petrucci Guitar Solo/The Spirit Carries On 02:16:12
Pull Me Under/Metropolis Pt.1 02:25:16

1698715284076.gif

So excited to hear this! I’ve never been a big fan of Mangini, I was wishing they would’ve gone with Virgil Donati when they did the auditions. Portnoy just belongs with this band, it’s not the same without him.

You guys are gonna hate me, but I actually really love when Rudess does the Danny Elfman thing and when he does the ragtime stuff. I’m so tired of DT being so metal, I miss when they were more of a fusion band and those little moments from Rudess are the last remaining part of their sound that sounds like the good old days when they were influenced by Zappa

That said, I would love to see Sherinian back.

I also loved LaBrie on the early stuff, but his voice is shot these days

You guys are gonna hate me, but I actually really love when Rudess does the Danny Elfman thing and when he does the ragtime stuff. I’m so tired of DT being so metal, I miss when they were more of a fusion band and those little moments from Rudess are the last remaining part of their sound that sounds like the good old days when they were influenced by Zappa

Sorry but NO :idk

No Way Smh GIF by Amazon Prime Video

I miss the more classic prog part of DT too but Ruddess ragtime shit is just shit, lol.

Last edited:
Back