Dream Theater Megathread

Jordan Rudess was so bored he bested anyone on keys and long time ago decided it was time to fuck up any guitar player, too... :rofl
The dude is absolutely insane on the keys. I can’t imagine how he’ll eventually be on the guitar.

Rumor has it Petrucci's been taking keyboard lessons. What's next? :grin

maxresdefault.jpg

The biggest things I’m hopeful for-

No click track live, I can’t imagine Portnoy agreeing to this, but it was a big gripe Petrucci had and why Mangini played to a click.
Varied setlists
Covers/Rarities shows
Spontaneous improvs during shows

While the music was always what drew me to the band, it was all that stuff that made me skip the first week of my senior year of high school to go see them, or having a blast trekking through the freezing streets of NYC before/after a gig just being so excited of what could possibly go down at the DT show. Every show was different, even if they happened to play the same set. Portnoy let the audience energy guide the tempos, there was humor, jokes onstage, just entirely different than their live shows for the last decade.

But this is the real serious stuff I’m looking forward to-

Last edited:
If they want to switch instruments cool. Just do it as a side project and let the DT fans decide if it'll work.

Maybe one song just to change things up.

He's no Stanley Jordan. Yet.
Man, speaking of Stanley Jordan..., I saw him at a theater in DC back when he covered Stairway. Me and a guitar bud of mine were blown away by what we were seeing, and we got excited. Ya know, a few whistles, and whoops.

I got "shushed" by a lady in the seat behind me!! haha. I'm like, Honey, Idk bout you, but I'm not used to this "sitting down to watch an out-of-this-world" guitar player. It ain't the opera FFS!!

:rofl

I couldn't believe it! (so I sat down and kept quiet. :sofa ) SMH

My son keeps me up on the younger guys who have taken that technique to the nth degree and beyond.
Yeah, I wanna say that technique was fairly new at the time. Tuck & Patty opened for him, and airc, Tuck used it a bit as well.

Talk about something you need to learn at a young age though..., you know, while your brain is still elastic enough to absorb it.

(Yes I know, we can all learn new stuff at any age, but the fact still remains, it does get harder the older we get.)

Ichika is a massive faker , records slow and speeds it up. Lame as fuck.
That's very old news and there's was some merit to it when he first arrived on the scene. He's since more than proven he's got the crazy chops for real.

To clarify, his first official artsy videos were doctored to death for maximum impact. Right after he goes to his first NAMM show and everyone was expecting note for note. He 'bombed' in that regard. He's hung in and righted the initial bad impressions.

Last edited:
How can you tell? That’d be a pretty shame.
It's clear as day...

That's very old news and there's was some merit to it when he first arrived on the scene. He's since more than proven he's got the crazy chops for real.

To clarify, his first official artsy videos were doctored to death for maximum impact. Right after he goes to his first NAMM show and everyone was expecting note for note. He 'bombed' in that regard. He's hung in and righted the initial bad impressions.
Same speed up nonsense as always, watch his live stuff, he isn't remotely able to play any of his stuff in real time.

Back