Dream Theater Megathread

If true this has to be exciting for DT fans and everyone in the band (outside of Mike I guess).

Honestly I just really dig seeing classic group lineups reuniting. Guns N Roses, Blink-182, Smashing Pumpkins, etc. It's cool as a fan and it's also cool to see old grudges buried, especially as their performing careers are winding down.

I know it's kind of a picky thing, but LaBrie is the main reason I could just not get into them.
Same goes for a lot of modern metal/ prog metal/math metal/whatever - the vocals just kill many of these genres for me (not that LaBrie is Cookie Monster-esque, but...)

My favorite Dream Theater album.... :popcorn

c64fe87885b83b5acde0f2ed4a105fd8.jpg

(Awake actually)

I'm actually excited for DT for once. But I'm with @Desertdweller; bring back Kevin Moore. Pay him in hookers and blow if you have to, but get him back.

Pretty sure Portnoy offered him exactly that and he still said “Fuck no”.

Portnoy elaborated a bit more on Moore’s refusal to do anything related to the band in the Lifting Shadows book; when they did the DVD where they brought out Sherinian and Dominici to do all the old stuff, Moore was living in Turkey at the time. The band really wanted him there so they offered to fly him out, all expenses paid with accommodations and he just wasn’t interested. There’s not even any real communication about why he’s not interested, he just did a total 180 and went further down that road as time went on.

Pretty sure Portnoy offered him exactly that and he still said “Fuck no”.

Portnoy elaborated a bit more on Moore’s refusal to do anything related to the band in the Lifting Shadows book; when they did the DVD where they brought out Sherinian and Dominici to do all the old stuff, Moore was living in Turkey at the time. The band really wanted him there so they offered to fly him out, all expenses paid with accommodations and he just wasn’t interested. There’s not even any real communication about why he’s not interested, he just did a total 180 and went further down that road as time went on.
Okay, Sherinian then. Because Rudess sucks, and has trashed the band.

Yeah, I honestly stopped caring about DT after Portnoy left and was really disappointed by everything after Octavarium.
There are some standout tracks along the way, but they've never really felt the same.

In my opinion Jordan Russell should have been replaced a loooooong time ago.
I don't like his style and I think his contribution is weak when not negative.

Honestly, for me last decent DT album is Octavarium and it not that good.

I dig that album a lot more now than I did when it came out. That was the album that started my decline in interest for them and by the next one I was groaning while listening to it more than anything.

And I swear to god, if I hear Rudess do one more ragtime breakdown, I will freak out.

Nice guy and all but I just don't think he has any true rock and roll strands in his DNA. Be willing to bet that Tony Levin had to smack him off-side the head a few times during the LTE.1 sessions to keep him grounded. Unfortunately he got all goofy on LTE.2 and it spoiled the album for me.

Now if only they can get back to when they were good! They went down hill after scenes from a memory (which i find is their best album!). I like some of the newer stuff but it's not anywhere near as exciting as old DT.

This is awesome news! Now bring back Derek Sherinian or Kevin Moore :D

Yeah, Rudess and his too many notes flurries, and oddball, "I really wanna be Danny Elfman
scoring films" tendencies are still going to be there. :wat

Technical proficiency should not determine everything. Maybe he is just a swell hang. Sometimes
in a band it literally comes down to that.

Back