Dream Theater Megathread

hemmelight

Roadie
lol wtf?

My first reaction is that their Twitter page was compromised, but this is the official website.

@DrewJD82 @TSJMajesty

Y'all seen this?!

Early Christmas Miracle
Merry Christmas GIF by Macy's

Oh god. Now imagine DT with a better singer. My thoughts for ages… and everyone elses.

I know it's kind of a picky thing, but LaBrie is the main reason I could just not get into them.

Same goes for a lot of modern metal/ prog metal/math metal/whatever - the vocals just kill many of these genres for me (not that LaBrie is Cookie Monster-esque, but...)

Man, I was such a hardcore DT fan in my teens that I actually just got choked up explaining how excited I was to a friend of mine. The entire reason I started playing other instruments was because of Dream Theater, it was the first band that got me to even care about other instruments, never mind drive me to put the effort into learning them. So many hours pontificating on their greatness with my best friend who, despite going on to Berklee where Mangini became a mentor for him and then seeing him get into DT, is just as elated as I am about Portnoy returning.

I’m trying not to put the cart too far before the horse in regards to how new music can sound, but if the live shows at least go back to what they were before Portnoy left, that’s enough for me to be happy. It’ll be hard for me to ever grasp any prog metal album the same way I did as a teen, but I can still have a blast at live shows.

The thing with metal singers is most people who don't like this or that just seem to presume that you should just find your local Steve Perry/Rob Halford and put them in place of whatever singer from whatever metal subgenre and expect it to just fit because it's what they like. Myself included. It's just hard to like everything :unsure: :rofl

OH MY GOD
OH MY GOD

I'm so happy!

I hate Mangini playing and sound with DT. Sorry MM, nothing personal you're a really good drummer but you sucked big time with those guys.

Now let's record a decent album, please.....

Now take care of LaBrie and we can get to work!

It would have to be LaBrie's decision to step down from the band because I don't think the other guys are going to give him the axe. If they were going to it would have been justified years ago. Perhaps they can start a side project with a new singer and call it something else (similar to what Creed did morphing into Alter Bridge).

Back