Dream Theater Megathread

I'd rather see Portnoy do another Sons Of Apollo Album before a Dream Theater Album. Yup. I would. :sofa

I wonder if Mike found out that his many projects can't pay the bills like DT can pay the bills. :idk

I hope Portnoy doesn't "bring back the heaviness" :oops::rolleyes::wat If he wants to do that; maybe he can start up a dual drumming side project with John Turturro where they both play conflicting grooves and shout terribly over nu-metal adjacent riffs.

:poop::poop::poop::poop::poop:

It might be a little past lunch at this point

IMG_2013.gif

Fantastic news!! I'm not really surprised..., elated, yes, but I was probably 50/50 on whether he'd ever come back.

MP drove the bus, putting his stamp on the arrangements and production, in addition to his dynamic way of playing the drums, so I expect the next album to be phenomenal, with a bit of everything, and some type of 20+ minute epic.

I too hope he'll tone down JR (and couldn't agree more about the ragtime SHIT), but I truly believe he and JP have a way of writing together, that is the reason he replaced Derek (who is my favorite of the 3.) But with Portnoy "coaching" that process along, I predict the prog will still be as proggy as ever, with a certain amount of wankering, mixed in with some real heavy shit.

LaBrie chatted with us while we were in line waiting for doors to open, cluing us all into the fact that the brother was also reincarnated in SFAM, and I'll never forget him doing that. So, bad voice or not, he has my respect. But his live vocals have really sucked balls lately, but I'm pretty sure I'll still go see them.

I just hope the next album re-lights that part of DT that's been missing for the last several releases. I think they still have it, but just need Portnoy to bring it out, and bring it all together.

TL;DR:

Yes!
YES!!
YES!!!
YES!!!!
YES!!!!!
YES!!!!!!
FUCKIN-A!!!!!!! :banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana

Now if only they can get back to when they were good! They went down hill after scenes from a memory (which i find is their best album!). I like some of the newer stuff but it's not anywhere near as exciting as old DT.
I sort of agree, though I really did enjoy Six Degrees quite a bit, especially live. Saw them at a decent sized theater and it was amazing. LaBrie ran out of steam towards the end, but hadn’t completely gone to shit yet.
Yeah, Rudess and his too many notes flurries, and oddball, "I really wanna be Danny Elfman
scoring films" tendencies are still going to be there. :wat

Technical proficiency should not determine everything. Maybe he is just a swell hang. Sometimes
in a band it literally comes down to that.
I’m honestly surprised Rudess didn’t go down that path of doing scoring. He’s arguably a damn brilliant musician, and could definitely do it. I’d bet he’d make more bread as well. I guess he just prefers being in a band.

I’m honestly surprised Rudess didn’t go down that path of doing scoring. He’s arguably a damn brilliant musician, and could definitely do it. I’d bet he’d make more bread as well. I guess he just prefers being in a band.
If he's the one responsible for the way their epic songs morph from key to key, and I have no reason to think it's anyone else, he certainly is brilliant, and I can see why Trooch wanted him. And I'm happy I love complex music enough to be able to appreciate it!

If he's the one responsible for the way their epic songs morph from key to key, and I have no reason to think it's anyone else, he certainly is brilliant, and I can see why Trooch wanted him. And I'm happy I love complex music enough to be able to appreciate it!
I love complex songs, I just don’t find anything they’ve done in the last ten years remotely interesting. And I was a massive enough fan that I almost got the majesty tattoo.

This is very exciting news. Mike contributed so much more than just drums to Dream Theater’s music. And considering how technical his drumming was, it was organic and had “swing.”

Mangina was nothing more than a metronome to my ears.

Bye Felicia!

I'll be especially curious to hear how Portnoy covers MM's drum parts live, in songs they wrote during his absence. Which I suppose will be few, but still, there's several choices that could show up.

Mike always said that he tried to keep the setlists varied (to a point), for the fans who go to multiple shows during the same tour. Well Mike, give us something new. Play The Enemy Within.

Back