Dream Theater Megathread

That's a bit like the Greta Van Fleet of Rush. :LOL:

I dig that young people are inspired by the same bands I was. For me, when they ape the vibe that
close I just prefer to listen to the OGs. It's insane how close they get in composition and arranging.
I mean, I guess you’re not wrong. But I’d much rather listen to a facsimile of Rush than Zeppelin :rofl

The Dance of Eternity was on, and I can see why they put a kick ass bass solo after Rudess; it’s so the massive rage caused by Jordan’s bullshit ragtime solo is quickly calmed by Myung’s sweet, sweet bass playing. I wanted to throw my iPad through the window until I heard Myung.

Only reason I dont like DT is ….as soon as singer opens his mouth, I lose interest.

I feel bad for Mangini … he was carried them so many years and to do him like that it sucks…

Anyway… who cares what i think they going to do whatever they want.

I like about 40 to 50% of their songs but many get to this middle point where they need to do these circus type riffs led by the keys and it's like they are trying way too hard to make it prog but it's like. 'wow impressive, but I never want to hear this song again,... just me. :crazy

It was impressive for him to hit those notes in his 20’s, never mind 30+ years later. Dude’s like Geoff Tate got all the acclaim in the world for having a range like that because the dude’s got a naturally pleasing sounding voice and the majority of people aren’t thrilled with LaBrie’s, but LaBrie‘s training and technical capabilities surpassed Tate’s. Hahaha that was actually a funny thing on the DT/Ryche tour, James was out blowing Geoff out of the water every night because Tate stopped giving a shit at that time. These days I don’t know who would do better at a show.

I know I'm biased because I grew up with DT and never listened to QR ever, but I'd take James over Geoff most days.
Geoff's obviously a monster singer but I never gelled with his style. Like he's just a straight up musical theatre guy plopped into a rock band, rather than a rock singer that sounds theatrical, if you know what I mean?

I was reading through the Queensryche discography thread and listened through some of the generally well-liked tracks but I just can't get into it.
Which sucks because I know all the guys in DT are big fans themselves!

I should just listen to the albums rather than poke around with random videos I suppose.

I know I'm biased because I grew up with DT and never listened to QR ever, but I'd take James over Geoff most days.
Geoff's obviously a monster singer but I never gelled with his style. Like he's just a straight up musical theatre guy plopped into a rock band, rather than a rock singer that sounds theatrical, if you know what I mean?

I was reading through the Queensryche discography thread and listened through some of the generally well-liked tracks but I just can't get into it.

I should just listen to the albums rather than poke around with random videos I suppose.
o2Baxat.jpg

Hahah well, Geoff pretty much IS a theater geek disguised as a rock singer. His biggest inspiration was Peter Gabriel and the dude has done numerous interviews saying metal was never really his thing!

Listen to Operation MindCrime & Empire. 2 excellent albums/CDs !! IMHO

on the DT/Ryche tour, James was out blowing Geoff out of the water every night because Tate stopped giving a shit at that time.
I thought Tate was seriously struggling during that tour..., at least the show I saw he was. It seemed like he was trying to "squeeze" the notes out, and everything sounded like it was being 'pinched', for lack of a better way to describe it.

I thought Tate was seriously struggling during that tour..., at least the show I saw he was. It seemed like he was trying to "squeeze" the notes out, and everything sounded like it was being 'pinched', for lack of a better way to describe it.

That’s a possibility, that was definitely within the era he just stopped going passed a certain point.

Hahahahaha this is too funny, I do NOT recall Geoff being nearly this animated or hitting notes like this when I saw them on that tour. I wonder if being a DT hometown show and knowing he most likely wouldn’t perform in front of a more critical audience had anything to do with it. :rofl

Ugh…Stone.

Edit- the jam at the end is on here. Hahahha I’m still watching but from what I remember Petrucci harmonized the solo in “Take Hold” while the other Mike and Ike just improvised shitty solos over “Spirit Carries On”.

Oh, and LaBrie smokes Tate in his own song. I remember hearing one version, probably this one, where LaBrie comes in at the end with a crazy high note and pretty much drowns out Tate like “Fuck off, peasant” :ROFLMAO:

It cuts off above, but this is the one I remember

But there’s also a perfect example of what I’m talking about in there; coming out the solo Geoff goes up for a high note, takes his time getting to it and it’s strained as hell, the audience cheers fairly loud when he does it. LaBrie was blasting out notes higher and stronger than that all over this song before and after that.

Last edited:
Back