Can Gear Make You A Better Player?

I think that there is a point of diminishing returns. Once you have a "good" basic setup, you have all you need to make music and work towards your goals.

Do you need a good tube amp or high-end modeller to get a good, consistent sound? Sure. Does it have to be a $3k+ boutique Friedman or Bogner? Not really, but it makes life easier in some ways. Do you need a collection that includes Marshall, Friedman, Wizard, Bogner, Suhr, and Z? Absolutely not.....but there's no reason not to have a collection if that's part of your hobby.

For guitars, yeah, if you're working any, you need to have a few. You can make a case that you need to have something with single coils, something with humbuckers, and something with a locking trem. Acoustic, 12--string and nylon-string next. Then a semi-hollow. Archtop anyone?

Last edited:
I definitely play better when I am loving my tone. Been that way since I can remember. Speaking of which I never thought I could get a high gain Mesa Boogie MK IV tone that works with anything thats not clean clean up until recently.

Yep, right on the money.
Thrash metal is my main genre and I do have a nice American Performer Strat, it is definitely challenging to mentally readjust to what suits this type of instrument after years/decades of tight palm mute shredding on EMGs.

So I Thrash on the Strat too.
I win. :headbang

Hahahahha I got somethin’ I did Friday night I’ll post up later. I might have to re-do it because of vodka.

AA7B7E81-8807-47D2-B05D-D2C7D5F89AAD.jpeg

This piece of gear can!

Gear can help only up to the point of solving major issues (bad fretwork, action too high/low, not staying in tune, etc.). But that bar is pretty low...a decent import guitar that's been properly set up should work for any good player. The rest of it can impact the tone or help to inspire but shouldn't do much beyond that.

I dunno I've noticed my "shredding" sounds noticeably better on my new JVM than a lot of other amps Ive had in the past. Seem to be able to get away with a lot more :rofl

I guess technically that means its making me a worse player :cop

I dunno I've noticed my "shredding" sounds noticeably better on my new JVM than a lot of other amps Ive had in the past. Seem to be able to get away with a lot more :rofl

I guess technically that means its making me a worse player :cop
And conversely, particularly sterile amps that reveal every little mistake theoretically could make us better!?

Where’s that Hughes & Kettner again?
:banana

(J/K - no offense to any owners)

A better guitar can feel better to play and make you want to play it more. I experienced this with my Satin PRS S2. I'd play it unplugged for hours and then put it down, look at it, smile, and pick it back up again. My playing abilities progressed immensely because I practiced on it.

Before that I played my Mexican Strat, which is an okay guitar, and the more I played it, my playing ability progressed.

I didn't have much desire to play since lockdowns squashed gigs and seemingly ended the life of my good friend/bandleader. Not even a Prestige AZ could pull me back in. I didn't have a reason to play, or any energy in whatever little spare time I had to bring myself to.

Now that I have committed myself to another active band, I have to play guitar as a responsibility (and surprise, I enjoy it) and once again my guitar playing abilities are growing, learning new chords, trying new things to accomplish horn lines.

The only constant is that I'm playing, not the gear - which leads to playing, so that can indirectly lead to improved ability.

Being retired from gigs, I do not play for making music anymore but for enjoying the playing/tone experience. I invest more effort getting a good tone than worried about the music or my poor skills. So yes, gear makes me a better player
:banana

No and hell no....but it doesn't stop me from buying it!

Learning how to use gear well does make you a better player though....it's part of the tradecraft of being a guitarist.

A better guitar can feel better to play and make you want to play it more. I experienced this with my Satin PRS S2. I'd play it unplugged for hours and then put it down, look at it, smile, and pick it back up again. My playing abilities progressed immensely because I practiced on it.

Before that I played my Mexican Strat, which is an okay guitar, and the more I played it, my playing ability progressed.

I didn't have much desire to play since lockdowns squashed gigs and seemingly ended the life of my good friend/bandleader. Not even a Prestige AZ could pull me back in. I didn't have a reason to play, or any energy in whatever little spare time I had to bring myself to.

Now that I have committed myself to another active band, I have to play guitar as a responsibility (and surprise, I enjoy it) and once again my guitar playing abilities are growing, learning new chords, trying new things to accomplish horn lines.

The only constant is that I'm playing, not the gear - which leads to playing, so that can indirectly lead to improved ability.

It's hard for me to stay motivated if I'm not out playing live.

It's hard for me to stay motivated if I'm not out playing live.
I'm getting to that point myself. Last night I was thinking, What's the point?

Thinking in the context of my own drive to become a better player, I sit by myself and practice things I want to be able to play. I don't like the idea of doing the band thing again; Too many hassles. And I've been there, done that.

But if I don't ever plan to play with other people, then I truly have to wonder, Why? The only answer I can come up with, is it's for my own enjoyment. But then I still ask that same question.

We're social creatures. And we need that interaction. I'm starting to feel that pull, because I'm really starting to wonder, if not for sharing that enjoyment, and the interaction of making music with other people, even if it's just a 'Live At Daryl's House' sort of thing in a garage or basement, or wherever, I'm feeling like it's pointless to have a hobby such as this, if it's not also shared and enjoyed amongst like-minded friends.

Last edited:
I think it's important to understand why we do it, and then focus on that aspect of it to keep it interesting. We are all guitarists but we are not all the same!

Case in point...

A buddy of mine is in his late 60s, been performing his whole life. He's spent the last 5 years (the entire time I've known him) putting together jams at his shop and trying to put bands together, without much success (in his eyes). He longs to be on stage. He is a performer, and the guitar is just a means to get to perform for others (not that he isn't a badass guitarist). I finally talked him into going to a few open mic style jams, and now he's going every week and being asked to sit in with bands. He's getting to play on stages and doesn't have to worry about band drama. I've never seen him happier!

For me, I play in bands for the moments of shared nirvana, locking in together, taking a tune somewhere its never been, but I kinda hate gigging. Its like a necessary evil for me, to be able to keep jamming with like minded musicians, and keep the gear fund flush. Other than the 30 minute high after getting off the stage, its just not worth it. I could totally be ok with never playing another show. I much prefer band practice to shows and really get joy from rando garage jams, woodshedding by myself, taking or giving lessons, talking through and trying to understand theory, or nailing a riff or song that I've invested some time in.

For me, I play in bands for the moments of shared nirvana, locking in together, taking a tune somewhere its never been, but I kinda hate gigging. Its like a necessary evil for me, to be able to keep jamming with like minded musicians, and keep the gear fund flush. Other than the 30 minute high after getting off the stage, its just not worth it. I could totally be ok with never playing another show. I much prefer band practice to shows and really get joy from rando garage jams, woodshedding by myself, taking or giving lessons, talking through and trying to understand theory, or nailing a riff or song that I've invested some time in.
Wow. I feel almost exactly the same way! Everything but the lessons part (because I've never taught) rings so true with me as well.

I've been getting that itch to play with others (just not try to form a band), and ironically I just this morning came across a flyer for an NA/AA open mic night coming up, which I'm gonna go check out.

Back