What Did You Improve in 2023?

TSJMajesty

Rock Star
Better at recording?
Wrote some better songs?
Technique?
Learned how to set up a killer W/D/W rig?
Controlling GAS?
Larger stable?
Finishing some partscasters?

Share!

Mine was dialing in tones and still improving as a guitarist in general. Hope to keep that going in 24!

Navigating relationships with friends/musicians more skillfully and delicately. I met and engaged with
more fellow musicians this past year than at any time since before COVID. It was fun, and occasionally
frustrating. :hmm:LOL:

I went out and jammed/rehearsed/auditioned with other bands multiple times, and the band I play in
weekly transitioned to new drummers/bassists and it was all on my shoulders to find them, engage with
them, and get them to show up.

I guess I didn't always realize that I was such a social cat. :idk

Also improved at letting go, as I parted with my entire stable of Gibsons. Turned that into an Harley for me
and a Car for my Son. I don't miss them. Not even a little. I struggle with the trends of that Corporate Megalith
anyways. :sofa

As for music specific improvements, I have played more Keys this past year than ever. Found out how
to navigate my way around a DAW, but still at pre-school levels. Discovered a Telecaster I love, and
dove into hybrid picking. Still rolling the gain back on amps/models, and squeezing more from my fingers,
and less from overly saturated/compressed tones. Which I still love. Just want to get more from my
hands and less from the Clipping Overlords. :LOL:

Still a lot to work on. But super pumped about my people skills this past year and all I had to wrestle with. It's
kind of reassuring and lets me know I have learned a lot from past mistakes and attitudes. :beer

Not sure if/what I improved? I did try to make my jam space more streamlined and I think I succeeded there. I've been trying to get better here in the last bit of 2023 to get myself a little more self-sufficient in trying to write things without a collaborator. I need to keep on that in this new year.

Not sure if this is an actual thing to consider something to improve; but I have just gotten really comfortable with the gear I have on hand for doing all that I do. I know what I like. Boogies and FAS are home :satan

2023 was a really great year for me, moving past a 2.5 year bout of writer’s block and a huge lack of motivation. I’m back into the obsessive zone again and some nights I‘m chuckling at the compulsive aspect of it where I’ll be tired, can’t sit in front of Logic for another second, come out on the couch to watch tv and within 30 seconds there’s a guitar in my hands without really thinking about it.

In all previous versions of my life, that was a detriment to some capacity, but that’s not a concern these days. The biggest improvement I made in 2023 was refining my life to allow all the space in the world for my musical brain to go apeshit. NOW I can start getting gud at stuff.

At least controlling GAS worked remarkably well. Money spent on music gear in 2023: €100 (for a 2nd hand Friedman BE-OD). Didn't even buy a single pack of strings or picks (stocked them up pretty well in 2022).

Partially changing my picking (apparently I picked too hard for decades, hmpf...) worked quite well, too, but I'm still in the middle of consolidating things (so I never need to actively think about it again).

I also got at least more consequent in laying down parts (for recordings) as I forced myself to a) not save any presets anymore (not exactly possible with the analog/digital hybrid rig anyway, but I also never parallely record a DI track anymore) and b) sort of as a result of (a), complete a take all throughout the song before adding further parts. Sometimes (b) isn't exactly possible, but I still try to get as far with it as possible.

My plans to finally slap the tons of half-dead guitars back together I own into something at least remotely useable however failed miserably. But I've sweared to myself that this will happen before I buy anything new, so it'll likely be 2024 for things to finally work out.

Main improvement I think was getting more involved in recording again and dedicating the time to do so. Also, recording quicker and not dragging out the process with over-tweaking that can kill the vibe. Basically being at peace with a song and moving on to another. I can always remix or change parts down the road when/if I need to. My goal is to do even more this year.

Another improvement was finishing up guitar projects I had on the back burner for a while. Refretting some older guitars, changing electronics, a few builds etc. Goal for '24 is to do at least one full, scratch build and possibly a few amp designs lingering in my head.

Playing guitar... still not doing the live thing but not out of the question for '24. Playing technique I feel improves every year in subtle shades. Same with my understanding of harmony and chord voicing, and hopefully that will always improve.

Hold on... are you saying you never played live or are you just on a hiatus or something?
Hiatus. I played live a good bit from around '95-2016, with a few breaks in there and just scatterings from then to now. But I haven't been pushing for these last years either. We'll see though. It's been on my mind.

Hiatus. I played live a good bit from around '95-2016, with a few breaks in there and just scatterings from then to now. But I haven't been pushing for these last years either. We'll see though. It's been on my mind.

Ah, ok. I mean, you're playing great, would be a waste not having some live fun, too. IMO at least.

I only lost 10g on buying and selling amps and guitars as opposed to other years where it was more than that :bonk

On the positive and encouraging side -
Joined a new band my wife actually likes!
Got connected to several high end places to gig because of said new band
New band material has stretched me as a player learning pop to country and bluesy rock material with every song providing fresh new challenge's stretching me as a player
Saved more $ despite gear flipping :guiness

Thank you, I appreciate it. I do miss the interactions with people in that setting.

That’s one of the biggest reasons I‘m putting a band together this year and why I just want the band to be a fun, headbanging one. I want to fill those gig nights up with “Hell yeah!” or “Fuck yeah”!

That’s one of the biggest reasons I‘m putting a band together this year and why I just want the band to be a fun, headbanging one. I want to fill those gig nights up with “Hell yeah!” or “Fuck yeah”!
Same here, except for the head-banging part. :rofl
Not sure my neck could handle it these days.

200.gif

Back