What are we watching now?

Yeah, I saw all of that in the trailers. Generally speaking, I support these themes 100%, but to make this the selling point of a series that depicts a woman so consistently and profoundly out of control in every way… Somebody missed the point.
Films or shows that seem more preoccupied with checking boxes than telling an enjoyable story tend to do so as criticism shields. They are not doing it for representation.

We saw Leviathan last night, and although it's the same director as Rambo First Blood Part II, it was not very good at all. It was a combined rip off of Alien and The Thing. Awesome sets, but it was basically a zombie movie.
Watched this earlier this evening. Its not often that I missed out on an 80s movie but this was one of those times.

Good cast, great sets. Could have been a great (dumb) movie but ended up being just bad. Never seen so many people want to touch infectious skin/body fluids :ROFLMAO: Terrible ending as well on a number of levels. Director is the father of the director of Mandy. Which is interesting. That's about it.

Watching this new-ish movie, The Accountant, Now, I like Ben Affleck. I think he's a good actor, partly because he plays his parts in a manner consistent with the character. At least, he's doing so here.

So this other guy shows up in a scene, and he's got a touch of this accent that I sort of recognize, but he's also doing all these head movements that I definitely recognize. And then it hits me: He's the guy that played the main detective in We Own This City, which he was great in.

But he must've sat in front of a mirror perfecting all these head bobs, because he's using the same exact ones in this flick. Like, so unoriginal.

And for someone like me, it's just a total turn-off. Like dude, are you gonna play each role you have, the same way? smh

Edit, ok, Jon Bernthal. Fury's tank loader, Wolf of Wall St., ok, not as bad as I thought. He's a great actor. Still, those head-bobs were a bit too much! :rofl

(And I'm too anal, I know...) :sofa

Last edited:
Watching this new-ish movie, The Accountant, Now, I like Ben Affleck. I think he's a good actor, partly because he plays his parts in a manner consistent with the character. At least, he's doing so here.

So this other guy shows up in a scene, and he's got a touch of this accent that I sort of recognize, but he's also doing all these head movements that I definitely recognize. And then it hits me: He's the guy that played the main detective in We Own This City, which he was great in.

But he must've sat in front of a mirror perfecting all these head bobs, because he's using the same exact ones in this flick. Like, so unoriginal.

And for someone like me, it's just a total turn-off. Like dude, are you gonna play each role you have, the same way? smh

Edit, ok, Jon Bernthal. Fury's tank loader, Wolf of Wall St., ok, not as bad as I thought. He's a great actor. Still, those head-bobs were a bit too much! :rofl

(And I'm too anal, I know...) :sofa

That's what I call an SGIEM, same guy in every movie. Marlon Brando wrote about this idea in his autobiography, about guys like Richard Burton. I think it can be good sometimes, like some roles with Christopher Walken (definitely not all), but irritating with someone like Michael Marsden.

That's what I call an SGIEM, same guy in every movie. Marlon Brando wrote about this idea in his autobiography, about guys like Richard Burton. I think it can be good sometimes, like some roles with Christopher Walken (definitely not all), but irritating with someone like Michael Marsden.
Then there's typecasting because you did a good job with a particular role. After Boardwalk Empire, Michael Shannon was the go-to "hey we need a G-man type character" actor who was popping up everywhere doing basically the same role.

Films or shows that seem more preoccupied with checking boxes than telling an enjoyable story tend to do so as criticism shields. They are not doing it for representation.
Ah yes, the Sympathetic Subtext/ “We Dare You to Not Like This” card. I’ve seen lots of mediocre film and TV that fits the bill, but it’s always so easily forgotten, I can’t provide a single example.

So we rewatched the original Road House last night. Um...yeah. Without going into Laxu levels of film analysis; it completely obliterates that remake. I knew it was better but I forgot just how much better :oops:

Phenomenal dumb action flick with peak 80s energy and characters with actual charm and CHEMISTRY with each other. The love interest was awful (like seriously fucking bad) in the remake as is. Comparing her performance and the way she "gelled" with Gyllenhaal to Lynch and the onscreen chemistry she showed with Swayze is absolutely laughable.

The fight scenes and dialog were much more engaging in the original. A lot more inappropriate, but what you expected (amplified by a bazillion percent) for the time and generally got you to care about the plight of the characters.

Gyllenhaal can't carry everything. I give the guy credit but I was truly surprised how much better the original was than I remembered.

Just found out that Ray Stussy and Nikki Swango got married and have a kid together in real life.
Shooting Fargo was the first time they'd actually met. Very cool!

nintchdbpict000360118550.jpg

31-mcgregor-winstead-ztqg-superJumbo.jpg

Last edited:
Then there's typecasting because you did a good job with a particular role. After Boardwalk Empire, Michael Shannon was the go-to "hey we need a G-man type character" actor who was popping up everywhere doing basically the same role.

I love that guy. The films he made with Jeff Nichols are all amazing. Take Shelter is a great one to try. Nichols is one of the best directors out there in my book.

We're working our way back through The Venture Bros again. We still haven't seen the film so thought we'd rewatch the TV show first.

Just finished the series Constellation.

Kind of mind-fuck, but if you’re into sci-fi, it’s worth checking out.

Just watched Carlito's Way for the millionth time. That may be my favorite performance of Al Pacino's. He's truly the best. He's working every second in that film. I love actors who don't get lazy.
One of my favorite movies of all time. Sean Penn is also incredible here.

Pacino loses his way with his accent occasionally, but everything else about the film (including his performance) is so strong, these minor details fall by the wayside.

Note to iOS: minor details != monkey details

Last edited:
Back