What are we watching now?

I believe I remember something about throats being ripped out. I hope that one thing got written in to the remake.
I love this story about Halloween 4: Apparently, Akkad told the director Dwight Little he didn't want an unnecessarily gorey film. Fast forward to when they shoot this scene towards the end when Michael rips someone's throat out, and Akkad is like, "MORE BLOOD! MORE BLOOD!" Lmao

Well, showrunners. I may give it a shot, but the way Game of Thrones ended after the GRRM source material ran out was a tad... disappointing.

Yeah they rushed through the final season majorly.

I just started House of the Dragon and am three episodes in. Not sure how it will play out but it was kinda cool turning it on, like seeing an old friend again. :ROFLMAO:

Yeah they rushed through the final season majorly.
They were hired to do Star Wars and basically just phoned in the last few seasons of GoT. Incredibly disappointing to go from one of the most loved TV series for years, to the absolute worst way to end it.

I just started House of the Dragon and am three episodes in. Not sure how it will play out but it was kinda cool turning it on, like seeing an old friend again. :ROFLMAO:
House of the Dragon is pretty good, I liked it.

Suicide Squad
What a snoozefest.
We tried sitting through this movie over the course of a couple of nights and lunch breaks, and still only made it about halfway before I gave up.

Speaking of snoozefests: Griselda on Netflix. You've seen all of this a hundred times before, except with actual characters, story beats, etc. Zzzzzz...

Speaking of snoozefests: Griselda on Netflix. You've seen all of this a hundred times before, except with actual characters, story beats, etc. Zzzzzz...
Yeah, but... blah blah blah females, blah blah empowerment, blah blah something or other blah. (Did I check off all the talking points?)

Watched Poor Things last night. That movie certainly went places and is messed up in so many ways. Worth a watch!

Yeah, but... blah blah blah females, blah blah empowerment, blah blah something or other blah. (Did I check off all the talking points?)
Yeah, I saw all of that in the trailers. Generally speaking, I support these themes 100%, but to make this the selling point of a series that depicts a woman so consistently and profoundly out of control in every way… Somebody missed the point.

We watched The Fabelmans last night. What a great film. I think Spielberg is a scarily inconsistent director, making some of the best films I've ever seen, like Munich, and some of the worst, like Ready Player One. This one was just directed and acted impeccably. Michelle Williams is truly a tremendous and underrated actor. Everyone in the film was great, which is a sign to me of great directing. The editing was delightful, as was the very last shot, which is by far the most optimistic and beautiful ending I've ever seen.

This film was autobiographical, so I'm sure that's what pushed him really to care about the characters in a way that made everything visceral. It was just pure magic and beauty.

I'm so grateful I had a chance to see something that filled my heart that much. It's funny, because I compare that to a similar coming of age film that tells a director's own story, James Gray's Armageddon Time, which had this darkness to it that the director can't shake. It's interesting to see how the psychology of two directors plays out in their own perspective as adults looking back. Spielberg deals with antisemitism with his talent and finds a weird way to move on, but Gray is trapped in a world of race and class that protects and separates him from his closest friend.

I love to see a director who is very hit and miss (Spielberg) be able to recapture a sense of wonder and deep beauty. Whereas James Gray's work had become to me colder and less filled with heart over time, Spielberg is all over the place. Many of his films do not interest me enough even to try. But some of them are so good as to be transcendent. My wife and I spent the morning comparing the careers of extremely inconsistent directors: Spielberg, Michael Cimino, and William Friedkin.

Spielberg and Gray both deal with the antisemitism in their schools, but what Gray deals with with his separation from his friend is a different matter. Both films are very worth seeing; they'd be a great Criterion Channel double header. And I see so so many points to compare and contrast; it would be worth writing a very long essay, even a book, to break down these films as a pair, but you could go further into other films that are directors' autobiographical works. These two just have striking similarities without at all being copycats. Both are earnest and heartfelt, and they show a real roadmap to how each director filters and recasts the world around him in his work

To make the comparison even more interesting one could throw The 400 Blows into the mix. That one is semi-autobiographical, and interestingly, Spielberg directed the director of The 400 Blows, François Truffaut, in Close Encounters of The Third Kind. I guess he likes directing other directors when he can, since he directed David Lynch in The Fabelmans haha. One could draw some comparison between Armageddon Time and The Blows. It's really interesting to see the three films as a basis for sociological analysis, to see how different types of home like affect a kid and how it shapes them. The fact that all three become celebrated directors is an interesting control to the study. I love it when film actually inspires deeper and sustained reflection and analysis, in addition to being an unforgettable emotional experience.

Back