What are we watching now?

Every thought relating to Jean Claude Van Damme that’s passed through my head in the last 3 minutes should, by default, be post-fixed with “NTTAWWT”. :D

b803718fea5c15437592b1986e696bfd.gif

Last edited:
We finished all of Twin Peaks: first the original series, then the film, then The Return. I love a few aspects here and there, but to me there was just too much bad acting for the mind warping plot to be supported well. Then, in The Return, Lynch just meanders so much it hindered his own interesting explorations of parallel dimensions.
David Lynch gonna David Lynch. I think he’s a fascinating individual, but - with a few exceptions - I don’t actually enjoy his work. “Arbitrary”, “self-indulgent”, “heavy-handed (if you’re being polite about it)” are a few terms that come to mind.

:sofa

Last edited:
We saw The Abyss last night. I used to love that film, and I still love a lot about it. Ed Harris is unbelievably wonderful in it. To me it shows exactly how great of an actor he is. It's right up there with Jackknife as a showcase for how great he truly is. And this film is also great because of Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio. She is so intensely present and not holding back that it rips my throat out every time. She's so great in this and in Class Action.

To me the problem is the dumb dialog and the undercooked plot. Just lazy writing. James Cameron had this same kind of feel in Aliens, which I shit on. He made a great cast lesser somehow. But I actually thought Michael Biehn, who strikes me as particularly dumb in general (just try and sit through Rampage), was great in this.
I love Ed Harris in general, and Jacknife in particular. I’ve been meaning to rewatch it. Parts of the movie were actually filmed in my home town.

I saw Basquiat when it was first released, but I watched it again for the first time since them. I think Jeffrey Wright is unbelievable in that film. It's an incredible cast, but I didn't like the film overall. Benecio Del Toro and Michael Wincott are also great in it. But it's one of those movies that's worth it just to see the absolute highest level of acting from Wright.

We saw Leviathan last night, and although it's the same director as Rambo First Blood Part II, it was not very good at all. It was a combined rip off of Alien and The Thing. Awesome sets, but it was basically a zombie movie.

There's an Aussie show called Mr Inbetween on Hulu that's pretty great. It's only 3 seasons with episodes under 30 minutes. I binged it in less than a week. An Australian Breaking Bad would be a good way to describe it.

Not sure whether this is smart internet protocol or not - especially in light of my open book user name - but… Wallingford, CT.

Oh sorry, I didn't even think of that. It's probably wrong internet protocol for me to have asked!

I love it when films are shot on location and you get a feel of a real area. Especially when you have great actors interacting with environments like that.

Watched the 1989 Road House the other night. Damn that is one weird movie, and makes me wonder how it got made in the first place.

"- We have this script for a movie about bouncers. Bar fights, rock n' roll!"
"- Does it have naked women in it?"
"- Plenty!"
"- Sold!"

They treat Patrick Swayze's "Dalton" as some kind of god of bouncers, as if there's some bouncer convention where word gets around.

Then we have the actual bar which starts off as "so dangerous you'd think it would've been out of business ages ago", then gets renovated into "dangerous enough you'd think nobody would go there just to be safe". It's established that there are other bars in the area. You'd think the owner would cut his losses and start over somewhere else with a more sensible population.

Then the villain somehow has basically free reign to do whatever they want but we never see any police in the town. Like he gets one of his henchmen to demolish a local car dealership with a monster truck with a full crowd of witnesses, torches several buildings, asks for protection money from local businesses and nobody calls the cops ever?

It's a fun ride though in all its absurdity!

Oh sorry, I didn't even think of that. It's probably wrong internet protocol for me to have asked!

I love it when films are shot on location and you get a feel of a real area. Especially when you have great actors interacting with environments like that.
Oh, I wasn’t referring to any breach of etiquette on your part. What I mean is, I probably divulge all kinds of information online that could enable would be identity thieves. Then again: a) these days, most of that information is freely available elsewhere, and b) who would want my identity, anyway? ;)

Now watching “Turning Point: The Bomb and the Cold War” on Netflix. Cheery stuff. ;) But seriously, excellent non-fiction.

Oh, I wasn’t referring to any breach of etiquette on your part. What I mean is, I probably divulge all kinds of information online that could enable would be identity thieves. Then again: a) these days, most of that information is freely available elsewhere, and b) who would want my identity, anyway? ;)
Dolores could come in handy after all
:rollsafe

Watched the 1989 Road House the other night. Damn that is one weird movie, and makes me wonder how it got made in the first place.

"- Plenty!"
"- Sold!"

They treat Patrick Swayze's "Dalton" as some kind of god of bouncers, as if there's some bouncer convention where word gets around.

Then we have the actual bar which starts off as "so dangerous you'd think it would've been out of business ages ago", then gets renovated into "dangerous enough you'd think nobody would go there just to be safe". It's established that there are other bars in the area. You'd think the owner would cut his losses and start over somewhere else with a more sensible population.

Then the villain somehow has basically free reign to do whatever they want but we never see any police in the town. Like he gets one of his henchmen to demolish a local car dealership with a monster truck with a full crowd of witnesses, torches several buildings, asks for protection money from local businesses and nobody calls the cops ever?

Thanks for the spoilers. I guess I can pull this from all of my watch lists now. :rofl

"- Plenty!"
"- Sold!"

I believe I remember something about throats being ripped out. I hope that one thing got written in to the remake.

"- Plenty!"
"- Sold!"

Sounds fucking great! Sign me up.

Back