What are we watching now?

It's more like that the executives running the show are hedging on safe bets. Remaking a movie gen X and early millenials liked (even moderately) is a sure way to get some asses in seats, so is sequel X to a franchise.

What these execs don't seem to understand is that you don't get new lucrative franchises without taking risks. Then when they do pick something new, there seems to be incompetence all around:
  • Super predictable plot lines any regular movie viewer can guess within the first 15 minutes. It's so by-the-numbers that it's annoying.
  • Dialogue that sucks. Again super tropey stuff.
  • If it's based on a book series, changes to the source material where none was needed. Altered Carbon and The Witcher are good examples. Especially AC is terrible because they just added extra drama that it never needed, then shoehorned two books together when they work perfectly well as standalone material.
  • Spending all your money on an all star cast, then not having a script that makes good use of them. Kingsman: The Golden Circle is a great example, it's a terrible movie with a lot of big name actors basically there for a paycheck.
  • The usual marketing that basically shows the whole movie in a trailer. I don't see much need to see The Crow after that trailer, I can fill in everything that happens between the cuts.
  • Following stupid trends. Vomit inducing shakycam, nanosecond cuts to different camera angles, those slowed down cover songs.
  • Studio meddling where changes are made to appease focus groups or producers thinking they know better.
It's frankly amazing that actually good movies/TV still get made. Now I'm not some moviegoer who only goes to see art films, I enjoy a good blockbuster movie just fine, but I'd still like the bar to be higher. Most of the actual good stuff is in TV series these days.
Every point here is spot on.

Started The Gentlemen on NF. This brother needs throat punched into oblivion :mad::mad::mad: One episode in and I am digging it. Irritatedly :ROFLMAO:

Re-Watched a killer little sci-fi flick, Upgrade. Tom Hardy lookalike who is an excellent actor in his own right plays a mechanic in a future world who hits a terrible string of bad luck, so to speak.

I've seen it a few times before but it really is a great flick. Kind of reminds of me of Drive, maybe just because crime flick + killer muscle cars? Great sci-fi, body horror Mashup. Good stuff :satan

Re-Watched a killer little sci-fi flick, Upgrade. Tom Hardy lookalike who is an excellent actor in his own right plays a mechanic in a future world who hits a terrible string of bad luck, so to speak.

I've seen it a few times before but it really is a great flick. Kind of reminds of me of Drive, maybe just because crime flick + killer muscle cars? Great sci-fi, body horror Mashup. Good stuff :satan
Upgrade is fantastic, and a great example of a movie that really doesn't need sequels.

I think the aesthetic and vibe is similar to Drive, and from what I remember maybe some soundtrack similarities, but that's about it.

Upgrade is fantastic, and a great example of a movie that really doesn't need sequels.

I think the aesthetic and vibe is similar to Drive, and from what I remember maybe some soundtrack similarities, but that's about it.
^Yep. Not similar story and he certainly did more talking in this than Gosling's practically mute character. But the vibe and muscle car thing with the futuristic angle just kinda connected those dots? Some of the best fight scenes that are simultaneously hilarious really ever.

My TV died and flamed out last night. I checked. Less than 2 years old. :hmm:satan:cuss

It seems to be a thing.... and not able too be resuscitated without a new
board install.

Any TV recommendations out there? Brands? I am going for 50". Not
massive. Not tiny. :idk

Disposable Consumer Electronics. Yay!

I may make a video of me driving over it. :horse:annoying
Get an FM9 and Battlebot that son of a buck!
Robot Wars Fight GIF by Discovery

My TV died and flamed out last night. I checked. Less than 2 years old. :hmm:satan:cuss

It seems to be a thing.... and not able too be resuscitated without a new
board install.

Any TV recommendations out there? Brands? I am going for 50". Not
massive. Not tiny. :idk
Samsung 4K

Man, all these fucking 4K and ULED/OLED turds seem to last 2 years tops. :hmm
Reviews are awful, regardless of brand.

I am going back too my smaller TV that is like 10 years old and still works
for the time being.

I'm almost 4 years with mine and no issues at all. I'll keep what I've got and you get what works for you.

I couldn't ask for a better home theater system !

Back