What are we watching now?

I have been watching Svengoolie on the DVR this week.

(Edit)

Sunday - Kolchak: The Night Stalker
Monday - Kolchak: The Night Strangler
Tuesday - Trilogy of Terror
Wednesday - Killer Klowns From Outer Space
Thursday - 13 Ghosts (1960)
Friday - The Raven (since Joe Bob is hosting a Last Drive In honoring Roger Corman tomorrow)

Last edited:
Lmfao just fucking no. It was eyerollingly awful when Jason Momoa was tied to this shitfest. Whomever this doofus is makes this look worse than any of the straight to Sci Fi sequels they did. Yuck.

What is even going to be the soundtrack to this? Bullet for My Valentine, Imagine Dragons, and Sleep Token? The Crow is so of its time this remake is absurd.

God damn this looks terrible.

It doesn't help that the trailer has that flegmatic autotune bullshit for a soundtrack. Only reggaeton is worse!

I have fond memories of the 1994 The Crow, but I haven't seen it in ages and was an edgy teen in the 1990s so it probably resonated more than it would today when I'm in my early 40s.

Screenshot_20240315-191026_Reddit.jpg

More like Irish From Wish. Amiright?

Ok. I didn't actually watch this but it's getting absolutely ridiculed here in Ireland today by the media and on our socials.

You know Hollywood ran out of compelling movie ideas decades ago
when they are remaking movies from decades ago that were awful
decades ago. :bag
It's more like that the executives running the show are hedging on safe bets. Remaking a movie gen X and early millenials liked (even moderately) is a sure way to get some asses in seats, so is sequel X to a franchise.

What these execs don't seem to understand is that you don't get new lucrative franchises without taking risks. Then when they do pick something new, there seems to be incompetence all around:
  • Super predictable plot lines any regular movie viewer can guess within the first 15 minutes. It's so by-the-numbers that it's annoying.
  • Dialogue that sucks. Again super tropey stuff.
  • If it's based on a book series, changes to the source material where none was needed. Altered Carbon and The Witcher are good examples. Especially AC is terrible because they just added extra drama that it never needed, then shoehorned two books together when they work perfectly well as standalone material.
  • Spending all your money on an all star cast, then not having a script that makes good use of them. Kingsman: The Golden Circle is a great example, it's a terrible movie with a lot of big name actors basically there for a paycheck.
  • The usual marketing that basically shows the whole movie in a trailer. I don't see much need to see The Crow after that trailer, I can fill in everything that happens between the cuts.
  • Following stupid trends. Vomit inducing shakycam, nanosecond cuts to different camera angles, those slowed down cover songs.
  • Studio meddling where changes are made to appease focus groups or producers thinking they know better.
It's frankly amazing that actually good movies/TV still get made. Now I'm not some moviegoer who only goes to see art films, I enjoy a good blockbuster movie just fine, but I'd still like the bar to be higher. Most of the actual good stuff is in TV series these days.

Back