What are we watching now?

New season of Reacher is really good. Fargo continues to deliver \m/
the 1st season was ok but second was pretty bad. The whole team thing was lame. And i dont buy this guy as reacher traveling with the shirt on his back and his whole body builder steroid look from spending hours a day in a gym look yet no gym in sight.

Watched a couple great flicks last night.

The Holdovers. Paul Giamatti is a teacher in the early 70s in an East coast school that has to watch a group of kids who stay back over Christmas break.

Quirky af cast that's perfect, excellent script and spot on cinematography that captures the 70s vibe 100%. Great storytelling with great performances. Perfect score for the season and mood as well. Can't say enough good things about this one.

On other end of the Heartwarming spectrum :ROFLMAO: Crown Vic. Basically; Thomas Jane does Training Day. It's a bit more Grey area than that but enjoyed it tremendously.

Jane takes a rookie out for his first night on the beat and all sorts of wtf moments happen. Interesting relationship between the two with some funny exchanges you don't expect because it's not a comedy. The Training Day vibe expectation is actually good because they play with that a bit in a great way. Nothing highbrow but just a great cop flick.

the 1st season was ok but second was pretty bad. The whole team thing was lame. And i dont buy this guy as reacher traveling with the shirt on his back and his whole body builder steroid look from spending hours a day in a gym look yet no gym in sight.
He gets his excercise in by beating bad guys on the way!

What bugs me more is that he should eat like a horse but barely eats anything throughout either season.

At least they got the guy's build right this time.

WTF?
Tom-Cruise-Alan-Ritchson-Jack-Reacher.jpg

We had a "bad movie night" with friends. Picked some choice films by putting them in a bag and choosing one at random. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

1. Devil Times Five aka Peopletoys (1974). This was terrible. The premise is "a group of adults locked in a chalet in the woods surrounded by snow get killed by a group of kids who escaped from a mental asylum". What a weird movie.
2. High Risk (1995). This is what you get if 1990s Hong Kong movie studios remade Die Hard and amped up the crazy! Jet Li in his prime. A subplot of a "Jackie Chan meets Bruce Lee" character bumbling into all kinds of slapstick situations apparently because the director had a beef with Jackie Chan at the time. High recommendation for some good "leave your brains at the door" kung fu action.
3. Highway to Hell (1991). A highway patrolman from hell kidnaps a guy's girlfriend. He then has to venture to hell to rescue her. Great practical effects, fun movie. Features an unexplained Lita Ford cameo as a hitchhiker. Also features Gilbert Gottfried as Hitler and Ben Stiller as a gas station cook!

Digging the latest season of Fargo, as I dig pretty much everything Fargo, but I’d have to say this is the weakest season to date. Some of the writing is just a bit hamfisted - monologues that go unchecked by other characters who 100% would/should check them; characters repeatedly delivering exposition that’s a little too self-aware. (E.g. find me one libertarian who would self identify as such, and then back that up with, “I’m more of a ‘let the orphans fight to the death’ type.” No libertarian would say as much about themselves, collectively - if they were even aware of the element of truth in it. Especially not a self-righteous prick like that sheriff.)

The accents are sometimes hard to swallow. (Does anyone anywhere actually talk like the rich mother in law??) And, lastly, some of the episodes are just insanely slow. I think it was the 2nd or 3rd episode that started with a clever clever “antecedentally on Fargo” and then literally played back half of the previous episode as half of its own running time. WTAF, I waited a week for this?

But yeah, still engaging and entertaining in absolute terms. Fargo always is.

Last edited:
Tracks one and two are obvious stabs at a single and frankly suck - but the rest of the album is EASILY
the best stuff that Kansas ever did imo.

220px-Kansas_-_Masque.jpg

@DrewJD82 is going to absolutely hate this - don't think you can get more "Dad's prog rock". :rofl

Last edited:
Digging the latest season of Fargo, as I dig pretty much everything Fargo, but I’d have to say this is the weakest season to date. Some of the writing is just a bit hamfisted - monologues that go unchecked by other characters who 100% would/should check them; characters repeatedly delivering exposition that’s a little too self-aware. (E.g. find me one libertarian who would self identify as such, and then back that up with, “I’m more of a ‘let the orphans fight to the death’ type.” No libertarian would say as much about themselves, collectively - if they were even aware of the element of truth in it. Especially not a self-righteous prick like that sheriff.)

The accents are sometimes hard to swallow. (Does anyone anywhere actually talk like the rich mother in law??) And, lastly, some of the episodes are just insanely slow. I think it was the 2nd or 3rd episode that started with a clever clever “antecedentally on Fargo” and then literally played back half of the previous episode as half of its own running time. WTAF, I waited a week for this?

But yeah, still engaging and entertaining in absolute terms. Fargo always is.

Can't wait to watch it. I've managed to not touch a single episode of the new season so far, saving them all up for binge watching after the finale airs. 😁

Also, the missus and I are currently way deep into The Office (US version), watching for the first time, already nearing the end of season 8. Such a great show, I can't believe I haven't watched that one back in the day. 👌👌👌

PS: The next True Detective season is coming pretty soon! Looking forward to that, despite no involvement by Nic Pizzolatto this time, if I'm not mistaken.

PPS: And how could I forget the (probably) final season of Curb Your Enthusiasm (Feb. 4th). It's good to have things to watch in this cold and dark time. It's freezing outside, and for me, spring can't come soon enough!

Last edited:
Back