What are we watching now?

separate the wheat from the chaff.

Knew it rang a bell from somewhere.

1175599195-tumblr_m7uesh87a41rw7y79o1_500.jpg

" It's time to separate the wheat from the chaff, the men from the boys,
the awkwardly feminine from the possibly Canadian." - Cotton McKnight

Last edited:
I viewed the movie "Maestro" a couple of nights ago. OMG! It is a life story around Leonard Bernstein and it is an INCREDIBLE movie. Bradley Cooper did the best performance I have ever seen him do, and very well maybe the best acting performance I have EVER seen!! He spent an entire year in "voice" of the character, on and off screen. He spent 6 years studying Leonard and worked very closely with Leonard's children to really capture the man! The cinematography was superb, and they switched styles to match the decades in which events were happening! Both Scorsese and Spielberg were both Producers on this film. Bradley Cooper Directed it! The topic itself lends to a fairy tale story, and I think they did a great job of tackling many of the conflicts in his personal and artistic struggles. They basically did not even touch on his political activities, it would have added another hour to the movie had they done so. The other actors (especially Carey Mulligan who played his wife), the music, the choreography, all amazing!!! A movie that I would recommend to every man, woman and child on the planet!!!

I watched it on Netflix and it is a production from them, so I don't know where else one can get it, but check it out if you can, it is 2 hrs well spent!!!

Last edited:
Started watching Obliterated last night on Netflix and I could not stop watching it, and about half way through it. Good adult adolescent humor galore lol...

Watching Dave beat a dead horse, again, and again, and again, and again.... for 3 straight hours!

:horse

I agree with him a lot. Yes, silent stages suck. Especially if you want to see your fave band up close.
But man, does he harp on and on and on about how "Modelers suck!" way too much for a guy who
can't make a decent Marshall to save his life. :hmm

:rofl

The last 20-30 minutes is pure gold. Dave and Pete reflect on their lives and journeys, and their
passion for tone, rock, amps, and guitars. Great stuff!! :chef

Last edited:
I viewed the movie "Maestro" a couple of nights ago. OMG! It is a life story around Leonard Bernstein and it is an INCREDIBLE movie. Bradley Cooper did the best performance I have ever seen him do, and very well maybe the best acting performance I have EVER seen!! He spent an entire year in "voice" of the character, on and off screen. He spent 6 years studying Leonard and worked very closely with Leonard's children to really capture the man! The cinematography was superb, and they switched styles to match the decades in which events were happening! Both Scorsese and Spielberg were both Producers on this film. Bradley Cooper Directed it! The topic itself lends to a fairy tale story, and I think they did a great job of tackling many of the conflicts in his personal and artistic struggles. They basically did not even touch on his political activities, it would have added another hour to the movie had they done so. The other actors (especially Carey Mulligan who played his wife), the music, the choreography, all amazing!!! A movie that I would recommend to every man, woman and child on the planet!!!

I watched it on Netflix and it is a production from them, so I don't know where else one can get it, but check it out if you can, it is 2 hrs well spent!!!
I saw the trailer the other night. I don’t know anything about Leonard Bernstein (except what I subsequently read on Wikipedia), but this film looks like an amazing work. Looking forward to it.

I agree. Great filmmaking (setting, design, camera work. lighting, acting, direction, costumes, script) is
so worth my time to sit and watch even if I am not into the subject matter.

Feeling better @mbenigni ??
I love period pieces and historical drama, and this film looks like it perfectly captures… just everything about this time, place, culture.. (And, in a meta sort of way, this period’s own filmic conventions.) Cooper’s facial expressions alone. I don’t know Bernstein, but I know that character.

I am feeling much better - thanks so much for asking. Family’s been great and I’ve gotten a lot of rest. The only bummer is being forced to be so distant from them this close to Christmas. Not sure when I can safely assume I’m not contagious anymore. Guidelines say right up to and including Christmas Day, naturally. :D

I love period pieces and historical drama, and this film looks like it perfectly captures… just everything about this time, place, culture.. (And, in a meta sort of way, this period’s own filmic conventions.) Cooper’s facial expressions alone. I don’t know Bernstein, but I know that character.

I am feeling much better - thanks so much for asking. Family’s been great and I’ve gotten a lot of rest. The only bummer is being forced to be so distant from them this close to Christmas. Not sure when I can safely assume I’m not contagious anymore. Guidelines say right up to and including Christmas Day, naturally. :D

I agree. You can get sucked in and lost in, and consumed by, another world that actually did exist at one time. :love

Glad you are on the up and up. That isolation sucks. Sorry you only have us for now!! :LOL:

I swear, I NEVER would have guessed that was the voice of Bradley Cooper in that movie. I was sure they had done overdubbing or post production for that voice, but that was all just him learning the part to the tee!!!

Glad you are feeling better, and the restrictions do suck, but hey, your not dead yet! So you got that goin' for ya', which is nice!!

Whiplash

Holy FUCK!! I don't think I'd want to be in his band bad enough to endure all that Buddy Rich abuse!

But we'll see where it goes, since it's the first interesting movie I've started in a while...

Edit: Wow! Every one of you bastadds needs to watch that movie. (And I'm not a big fan of jazz, but I appreciate anything that involves music as good as what was in this movie. And dat drummin was smokin!)

It was so good, I half expected to see the likes of Virgil Donati's or Mike Mangini's, or Gavin Harrison's, name in the credits. But nope. It's all Miles Teller.

Last edited:
I like my shows. TV and movies sure as f are a waste of time and I watch WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too much of it. But there are things that hit my mind and heart just as much as a breathtaking piece of music. So I will gladly partake of those diamonds amongst the time killing turds.

I agree with this, for sure. The amount of quotes and inside jokes that exist in my social circles because of movies, sometimes those are things that start the friendships. I’m always waiting for the next thing to completely detach me from reality for a bit, the same way music does.

Just re-watched Black Mirror Loch Henry.

When the mom goes from all concerned about the GF fleeing the cottage and trying to get her in the car to.... C#NT this and C#NT that - and then puts the torture mask back on one last time.... definitely one of the more sick and demented twists in the entire 6 seasons. Just nuts.

Started watching Obliterated last night on Netflix and I could not stop watching it, and about half way through it. Good adult adolescent humor galore lol...

this was lame and predictable...cheesy and stupid..turned it ooff 2 minutes in

Back