What are we watching now?

Watching The Killer (John Woo).

Nothing turns me off from an action film more than a character, who is supposed to be an expert marksman, flinches every time the pull the trigger.

If you’re casted and you decide to play that part, do your fucking due diligence and learn how to shoot with your eyes open and without flinching. That, or don’t use blanks and use CGI.

/rant

Nothing turns me off from an action film more than a character, who is supposed to be an expert marksman, flinches every time the pull the trigger.

If you’re casted and you decide to play that part, do your fucking due diligence and learn how to shoot with your eyes open and without flinching. That, or don’t use blanks and use CGI.

/rant
The thing I really hate in action films is when they "push" or "thrust" the gun forward to shoot with no recoil.

/rant
But John Woo?!?!?

Edit: is this a remake on Peacock? I think I saw that and if so; ugh.

Finally watched Longlegs yesterday. Creepy af with Cage doing his BEST bonkers. Not perfect as I feel like I would have liked it to be a little more straight thriller but I thought it was excellent.

Jeez, I don't think I've ever fired a single shot left handed. That's badass!
I’ve done a few IDPA runs that required off-hand shooting. It definitely messes with your brain, but IMO, it’s a good technique to practice in case you ever have to defend yourself with an injured dominant hand.

noted-notes.gif

Watched Prometheus and Covenant yesterday. I thought I was going to really dislike Prometheus this second time around because I just don't want a lot of depth in my sci-fi horror. This was a second go round on Covenant as well.

I actually thought Prometheus was excellent this time. And I am usually not one for "world building" or "origin stories" or anything that smacks of religion. Yes it was a bit confusing to my dumb brain. But I did really like it. Covenant OTOH; oof. Good cast and great look but seemed like it was the wrong bits of both worlds. Too much gore, too much exposition and overexplaination on Walter/David/Guy Pierce's character. End sequence was great because it got back to to what it should be getting back to. Horror-scifi-thriller. Pick a lane and stick with it. Looking forward to Fede's take in the new film. It will most likely be sick in the best of ways \m/

Yes it was a bit confusing to my dumb brain.

After a few watches I still can't grok what David's motivations/objectives were.
He was obviously programmed but how does him spiking Charlie's drink with the goo play into it?

He knew of the Aliens and even spoke their language - so why put the entire mission at risk by getting Charlie infected?

Just came back from seeing Alien Romulus. It's visually gorgeous but man, they really messed it up with storytelling. There's a lot of nonsense and most characters are paper thin. It's a fun homage but I wish they had tried for something more original.

Just came back from seeing Alien Romulus. It's visually gorgeous but man, they really messed it up with storytelling. There's a lot of nonsense and most characters are paper thin. It's a fun homage but I wish they had tried for something more original.
I want to watch the first two again before going to see it. At the rate I’m going, I’ll probably have to wait until it’s available for streaming.

I been watching Rick Steves' Europe on PBS. Never been much into art, but I really like the history bits about the artists, the history that the specific artwork represents and the history about the times that the art was created in.

Last edited:
Back