What are we watching now?

I have to agree except for AOAAG. That came out in 82, before he'd gotten complacent and gone full on 'celebrity'.

Dude leaves everything on the screen and I dare any guy watching it for the first time not to get choked up with the line:

"Cause I got nowhere else to go!!"

Gossertt Jr. deserved the Oscar 100% but Gere matched him pretty damn good in a lot of scenes.

I have to agree except for AOAAG. That came out in 82, before he'd gotten complacent and gone full on 'celebrity'.

Dude leaves everything on the screen and I dare any guy watching it for the first time not to get choked up with the line:

"Cause I got nowhere else to go!!"

Gossertt Jr. deserved the Oscar 100% but Gere matched him pretty damn good in a lot of scenes.

I remember that scene being great. I do want to see that film again, since I've only seen it once. I remember David Keith being really good in it too. I love Keith David too, by the way, but he's a completely different guy who was great in a bunch of 80s movies. My cynicism about that scene says maybe it was Gossett who really drove that scene to be great, but I'd have to see it again to know for sure haha. I just feel like Gere plays every role like he's won the game of life like ten years prior, and all this is just beneath him, and mildly amusing at best. I don't feel and fire, any struggle. The immediate contrast pops into my head of Robert De Niro in The Mission. Already De Niro was respected as hell when that film was being made (I assume filming was around 1985, and Taxi Driver is 1979, for comparison), and he gives absolutely evferything in that role, except for his refusal to do an accent. But it doesn't matter; he so raw, so guttural, so deep into his own sense of self in that film, it's to me a benchmark of the way an actor is when they're working they're ass off and don't care about anything but the scene right in front of them. Like Daniel Day-Lewis in My Left Foot, or so many of his roles. Then I see Richard Gere, and I'm thinking this is the brooding guy at the country club. Another contrast: Sean Penn. Penn is maybe the coolest person by way of demeanor ever, and he's used that onscreen to great effect in movies like Mystic River, but then he plays Harvey Milk, and it's fucking amazing. He's the most vulnerable, not tough in the way he has ever played any other role, and completely free and convincing. Again, a guy working his fucking ass off. So then I think of Gere with his I got nowhere to go, and I'm immediately thinking it's Gossett pushing him, and a great director pushing him, because I can't think of anything else that good in his whole career, and with him I've seen so many movies, from Report To the Commissioner in 1975, which is a favorite film of mine, to Arbitrage in 2012. I haven't even bothered with anything more modern than that with him.

On the other side, I don't think he ever is terrible in a film. I don't think he ruins scenes. There are actors who truly do that, and Hollywood is drowning in them. I think he plays the roles of educated, inherently intelligent, classy men, solidly no matter what he's playing, even in American Gigolo. I just never care, and mostly I feel a little repelled when he comes on the screen.

I've given this rant to my wife before, and she says I can't stand the way he acts because that's a lot of the way I act with people. Maybe I can't stand someone who's as much of an asshole as me. If so, fuck me too!

My wife just got me to try Breaking Bad last night, and I thought it was great, three episodes in. A lot of this show is Vince Gilligan, who did a lot of work with The X files, and that’s what got my lady interested. What I like is the journey you already see Water White going through. I like Cranston’s acting a lot. I feel like he’s got the right mix of everything to be a great actor, really: vulnerability, earnestness, strength, genuine struggle, introspection, general thoughtfulness, outrage, etc. He has so much range just as the series starts, I understand why this is so revered.

I think the writing is interesting too, and at some points truly great. I’m excited to see where this goes. I respect my wife’s opinion a lot, and she’s been so effusive about how good it is, I couldn’t stay away.

I don’t like to get into TV shows in general, because I think so many are just poorly acted, directed, and written, and I feel like I’m giving the free time I have to some slack ass yahoos churning out “content” for corporate advertising money, but there’s no art there. But I know that’s an outdated view. You can go back to Naked City from the early 60s, and that show is incredible in every way. Band of Brothers is like a the world’s longest film, it’s so incredibly good and powerful. And there have to be others.

I the Honest Trailer for Breaking Bad, it was described this way: “In a world where movies have been replaced by TV as the medium for grown ups…” That so hits home. I’ve been looking at all the cliche stuff Hollywood is churning out and thinking it’s mostly dumbed down or just copies of something that was once good, but maybe it’s that simple: movies in general are for kids, with adults as an afterthought. Now I could be wrong, because I just don’t even bother trying most modern films, the trailers are enough to turn me off totally. But maybe it’s that simple, that if I want good work that means something, TV is a better option. Maybe.

My wife just got me to try Breaking Bad last night, and I thought it was great, three episodes in. A lot of this show is Vince Gilligan, who did a lot of work with The X files, and that’s what got my lady interested. What I like is the journey you already see Water White going through. I like Cranston’s acting a lot. I feel like he’s got the right mix of everything to be a great actor, really: vulnerability, earnestness, strength, genuine struggle, introspection, general thoughtfulness, outrage, etc. He has so much range just as the series starts, I understand why this is so revered.

I think the writing is interesting too, and at some points truly great. I’m excited to see where this goes. I respect my wife’s opinion a lot, and she’s been so effusive about how good it is, I couldn’t stay away.

I don’t like to get into TV shows in general, because I think so many are just poorly acted, directed, and written, and I feel like I’m giving the free time I have to some slack ass yahoos churning out “content” for corporate advertising money, but there’s no art there. But I know that’s an outdated view. You can go back to Naked City from the early 60s, and that show is incredible in every way. Band of Brothers is like a the world’s longest film, it’s so incredibly good and powerful. And there have to be others.

I the Honest Trailer for Breaking Bad, it was described this way: “In a world where movies have been replaced by TV as the medium for grown ups…” That so hits home. I’ve been looking at all the cliche stuff Hollywood is churning out and thinking it’s mostly dumbed down or just copies of something that was once good, but maybe it’s that simple: movies in general are for kids, with adults as an afterthought. Now I could be wrong, because I just don’t even bother trying most modern films, the trailers are enough to turn me off totally. But maybe it’s that simple, that if I want good work that means something, TV is a better option. Maybe.
One of the best shows ever. Period. Definitely in my Top 5.

When you're done with Breaking Bad, watch Better Call Saul.

Alien Romulus.

I really enjoyed this in spite of itself. I can see why it's divisive and some parts are definitely questionable, and I found myself laughing in the third act, but damn it is really well made and looks stunning.

Very eager to see Romulus, I think promethues and covenant are both fantastic (and certainly better than 3 and 4) so I dont anticipate any disappointment

Been watching 3 Body Problem, have one episode left... started out promising but boy this plot sure got boring/lame :idk

Other night I watched MIssissippi Burning on Sunday. What a phenomenal movie. Gene Hackman is an absolute legend. And as repulsive as Michael Rooker's character is; he does a great job making him supremely loathable.
It's been eons since I've seen this one. I'll have to track it down soon. And now that you've got me thinking of Hackman... I'm overdue for a screening of Unforgiven as well.

clint-eastwood-unforgiven.jpg

Rewatching Westworld and House of Cards.

After finishing The Acolyte, I’ve lost faith in any current TV offerings. What an absolute turd. Doesn’t surprise me at all that it’s been cancelled.

Back