What are we watching now?

Haha! I watched an episode of the new season last night. I like it. It's an escape and works for
me in that regard. :idk

Also, good practice for me as an aging man to work on cultivating the skill of not hating everything new. :rofl
I get it ...I just can't....it's like some type of conversion therapy, and I don't need conversion.

Watched Trap last night. Latest M. Night flick. Setup is a bit juvenile. On purpose obviously. Josh Hartnett does great and overall; I liked it quite a bit. The last film of his I really enjoyed was Split. Old was ok as was Knock at the Cabin but I will probably never watch those again in my life. This was in between those two I'd say; with Hartnett giving a performance that would make for a rewatch.

On another note; watched both AVPs over the weekend. The first one was a good turd; if there is such a thing. Definitely a "let's rip the Thing" vibe which is always good in my book. AVP Requiem did not fare so well. Probably the darkest movie I have seen in who knows how long. Probably so they could get that crap CGI past me :cop :ROFLMAO:

Started up Homicide: Life on the Streets on Peacock. What a great ensemble cast and just a great show overall if you dig cop procedurals.

I did not include the AVP films in our marathon but I have been casually watching them in the background bit by bit since then...

Not great, but still better than A3 or resurrection :cop

I did just recently find out about the alien 3 assembly cut, I want to check that out. Unfortunately not til after watching it again. I'm probably gonna have to wait another year though :LOL:

I did not include the AVP films in our marathon but I have been casually watching them in the background bit by bit since then...

Not great, but still better than A3 or resurrection :cop

I did just recently find out about the alien 3 assembly cut, I want to check that out. Unfortunately not til after watching it again. I'm probably gonna have to wait another year though :LOL:
I like 3 and Ressurrection :bag

I get it ...I just can't....it's like some type of conversion therapy, and I don't need conversion.

Dick Wolf GIF by Wolf Entertainment

It's a TV show. Not a reeducation camp. :idk

Man, the trauma in our world sometimes. :rofl

I'll probably finish it. Because Tolkein, and the visuals. The scenery is simply stunning.

I got Netflix again, I've wanted to check out The Gentlemen and finish Tires. Saw there's a new season of Umbrella Academy but they were losin' me with the 3rd season. We'll see how long it takes me to actually sit and watch this stuff, but so far I'm killing it at putting it on as I'm falling asleep!

I’ve been butthurt about the lack of Last Week Tonight the last couple weeks but I just found out a bunch of the old seasons that I haven’t seen are on YT so been watching those. I always thought it was strange that only the two most recent seasons were available on Max, I guess that’s why?

I’ve tried to start Rings of Power twice now but I haven’t been grabbed yet. Possibly just need a really hungover Sunday one of these days to make some headway

I was enjoying season 2 of house of the dragon but got kind of distracted so still have over half left to watch. Everyone said it started sucking tho so now I’m scared

I also often disagree with popular opinion so… :LOL:

House of the Dragon>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Rings of Power. I tried watching and it was a hard pass.

FWIW; I didn't like that last round of Hobbit shit so I am not really surprised by this opinion.

Dick Wolf GIF by Wolf Entertainment

It's a TV show. Not a reeducation camp. :idk

Man, the trauma in our world sometimes. :rofl

I'll probably finish it. Because Tolkein, and the visuals. The scenery is simply stunning.
This is an opinion.

There is hardly any Tolkien in the series. The source material wasn't that much in the first place....and the characters they did keep, they changed completely.

The characters and dialogue are so far away from anything it may be a completely new Universe, completely unrelated to the one that was imagined. In that world, yeah it is so amazing.

Like I said I gave it a fair shot, and I came away very unimpressed. I apologize that I don't share your opinion. We just have different tastes.

To be fair, I think that Amazon could actually produce something cool if they were allowed to legitimately use the source material :idk

Also, good practice for me as an aging man to work on cultivating the skill of not hating everything new.

Resist the urge. Nature demands the hatred. I am unfamiliar with any other path.

All music past 1994 is dead to me. All modern culture is dead to me. All modern idioms and general language is dead to me. Modern acting styles suck. Modern film writing is unoriginal and lazy. Modern directing is buffoonish. I am living in a comforting coffin.

Die Season 3 GIF by The Office

Meanwhile “original” filmmaking in the 80s

Bad-Sequel-collage.jpg

It's something I always have to remind myself, that there was terrible crap in every era. Some of the coolest and most interesting films I've ever seen were from the 60s, for instance. Like, In Cold Blood and In The Heat of The Night. But that's also the era of all the beach bunny movies with Annette Funicello.

In contrast to your point, the 80s also had Broadcast News and Kiss of The Spiderwoman. Children of a Lesser God. Kramer Vs Kramer. Silkwood. Running on Empty. Sophie's Choice. Raging Bull. The Mission. So many great films; I could go on.

I know there's good stuff now, but I just don't give a shit to try to seek it out. Maybe one day. But most of what I see from the modern era turns me off big time. Notable exceptions:

In music, I love the prog metal band Prototype. In film, I love the work of Jeff Nichols. I'm watching Breaking Bad right now (on the 5th season), and I love it.

But yeah, you can cherrypick the worst of the worst of any decade and paint the whole era with that brush, but there's usually good stuff you have to overlook to do that.

But even in the cheesy arena in 80s films, I think they produced some of the awesomest stuff I'll stand by any day. Rambo II? Bloodsport? Terminator? Predator? The Lost Boys? Miami Connection? Breakin? These are all awesome. And however someone might judge the writing or whatever, the personalities were big and cool and different, and in my book they were strong enough to trump any other considerations.

And the big difference to me is that these days some of the biggest stars don't act with much personality or character. I've seen several films with Scarlett Johansson, and other than her extraordinary beauty, I don't see anything there. Compare her with Sally Field in Norma Rae. Gorgeous, yeah, but also intense, overflowing with character, badass, smart, and cool as shit. Compare Chris Hemsworth to leading men of just the past few decads. Compare him with Sean Penn, what he was doing in his 30s. The level of difference is insane.

Notable exceptions: Jake Gyllenhaal (I've mentioned in this thread before). Michael Shannon. Colin Farrell. I know there are others I can't think of right now. The scarily intense Samantha Morton. Even though I don't give a shit to see much of his work, I respect Bradley Cooper for what I've seen of him.

Back