TMP, Would it Swing You If…

If the TMP could capture amps with the caveats below would you buy one?

• Yes with $0.99 fee

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes without $0.99 fee

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • No

Votes: 22 61.1%
  • I will never buy a TMP… ever

Votes: 9 25.0%

• Total voters

texhex

Roadie
If the TMP could capture amps at the same quality as Tonex or NAM with the caveats below, would it swing your decision to buy one?
  • The capture process is done on the hardware then sent to the cloud to process for 30 minutes and they can be uploaded and processed in a batch.
  • You are notified via email and/or on the device when they are complete.
  • They are stored in the cloud on your account and locally on your device.
  • You can download other user’s captures for free.
  • Each capture costs you $0.99 to create and you own them once they are done.

No Way GIF

I chose “No” because capture technology doesn’t appeal to me whatsoever. I prefer to have 100% control over how I dial in my tones, and not rely on someone else’s idea of how an amp should sound.

I also didn’t choose “I will never buy a TMP… ever” because who knows? It could eventually be the leader in modeling. Highly unlikely, but you never know.

The device would still have all the same modeling functionality it currently has. Fender would just add the capture tech via a software update.

I want to use the same stuff in my digital solution as in the analog world…that’s why capturing is a must have for me..and why tmp was not on my option list when I was shopping for a new device.

If it would have had that tech…at least it would have been a tough call…
It’s bigger then QC…but it has a build in powersupply to even that out a bit.
I guess in this scenario quality of verbs and delays would be the deciding factor…tbh…idnk how those compare to the QC.

OK... John Candy always makes me laugh

And I agree. Capturing doesn't interest me at all. I don't have any amps or access to amps I'd wanna capture and downloading them seems dumb. Just give me a sweet list of amps and I'll dial them in.

Honestly, I doubt it. Nothing against Fender at all. But if I'm going to pay that much for a modeler it's going to be a Fractal product more than likely -- mainly based on sheer number of amps and effects options, customer service, very knowledgable user base, etc. Not to mention the modeling quality and expertise are top notch.

If the TMP could capture amps at the same quality as Tonex or NAM with the caveats below, would it swing your decision to buy one?
  • The capture process is done on the hardware then sent to the cloud to process for 30 minutes and they can be uploaded and processed in a batch.
I would be more interested if they filled out the Effects and amp list a bit more like

A Morgan
DR Zwreck
Bogner XTC 101b
Fender Vibrolux

For me - nope - never. Same answer even if L6 and Fractal embedded their own even better NAMM algorithms into their units.

Until Captures - be they Tonex or NAM - are %100 accurate across the full range of all knob positions and the full range of all knob interactions .... I have realized they are a dead end - to me - and despite some evangelists, neither Tonex or NAMM are even at the starting grid for this ability.

Liquid Profiling is a very good start in this direction and from my experience works extremely well - but it is no match for a well modeled Amp and the Amp choices are very limited ...... hence why I sold my KPA/LP setup and went back to the FM3 once FW8 / CX3 came out.

As I've said before - i.m.h.o - if maximising accuracy is your sonic goal - get a great modeler or better still - use your real tube Amp of choice.

Ben

Last edited:

It would for sure help with the value proposition relative to the QC, but the QC would still win a head to head comparison. I don’t think it would help the TMP compete against the FM9 or Helix.

Captures for me are useful in exactly one scenario: capturing amps/drive pedals you own. This allows you to be in charge of the settings captured and verifying they sound like your real gear.

But that still puts them into "that's nice" category, and is not some dealbreaker feature. If I have hundreds of amp models, there is no real need for captures because I'll just dial those models to sound the way I want.

The TMP is not for me because I don't really like its user interface. The skeumorphic UI is just fluff and the overall UI is a lot of "blow up this block on screen then back out of it or swipe to the next thing". That already makes it much less efficient than something like the QC where you just tap a grid block to go anywhere in the preset. I think Fender focused too much on newcomers to modelers (which is not wrong of course) but left out the power users.

Captures for me are useful in exactly one scenario: capturing amps/drive pedals you own. This allows you to be in charge of the settings captured and verifying they sound like your real gear.
Exactly…plus…for people playing digital devices into returns of amps….the option to use captures of preamps only, is a step forward in that scenario. Really a multiplier on what you get out of one amp, whilst retaining the feeling you are playing an amp.

I captured my fav amps preamp, and it’s poweramp which only goes into the direct feed…so I get to take “my amp” to wherever there’s a half decent amp with an fx loop ;) (Offcourse cabinet and speaker does a lot, but the essence is usually there)

its funny because I am reading posts on the best modeller polls on the TMP forum and of course they are ranking TMP as #1 but they Have the Boss GT1000 as #2 , Qc as #3 Helix #4 and Fractal in 5th , that tells me they are going on GUI and use likely as the main determine factor
or don't have a lot of experience with tube amps

Back