TMP, Would it Swing You If…

If the TMP could capture amps with the caveats below would you buy one?

• Yes with $0.99 fee

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes without $0.99 fee

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • No

Votes: 22 61.1%
  • I will never buy a TMP… ever

Votes: 9 25.0%

• Total voters
No, I’m not interested in capture tech. I have a QC and never use that part.

I’m more interested in the ease of use aspect and having quality amp models. The effects are very intriguing but the amps seem iffy.

I keep going back and forth between picking up a QC or a TMP to play with basically, but at the end of the day they both have something I don’t like so I’m just sitting tight for now. I doubt Fender would put capture tech into the TMP, even if they could. Seems like they are totally going for a different market with it.

I keep going back and forth between picking up a QC or a TMP to play with basically, but at the end of the day they both have something I don’t like so I’m just sitting tight for now. I doubt Fender would put capture tech into the TMP, even if they could. Seems like they are totally going for a different market with it.
I’ll eat my shoe if not every major brand includes capturing in his devices within 2 years, L6, Fender,Fractal. The tech is there, probably easy to fit into existing architecture, zero reason not to. I wouldn’t be surprised if the brands that are too late to compete in the “best marketplace for captures”…choose to embrace an open source like NAM to get some collective counterweight against Kemper/tonex/QC.

That is a huge untapped market. I can’t even count how many times I’ve read of people who have been avoiding modelers due to their complexity and steep learning curve.
It doesn't have to be one and the other though. I think QC strikes a pretty good balance where it's above all fast to operate for most things.

I’ll eat my shoe if not every major brand includes capturing in his devices within 2 years, L6, Fender,Fractal. The tech is there, probably easy to fit into existing architecture, zero reason not to. I wouldn’t be surprised if the brands that are too late to compete in the “best marketplace for captures”…choose to embrace an open source like NAM to get some collective counterweight against Kemper/tonex/QC.

Fractal and Line 6 put a lot into their modeling. I can't see them undercutting that willy nilly for a wild West format like NAM that they have little control over. It doesn't have the ubiquity and stability of say, WAV impulse responses yet.

So that leaves yet another proprietary standard to compete with Tonehub, Tonex, Kemper, QC, Headrush, etc.

Not that compelling to me.

One thing too. Doesn’t the TMP have bad aliasing and also don’t captures have bad aliasing? So will we get twice the fun? :bag

I remember there was this thread but I didn’t eat my crayons today so I couldn’t understand it

Fractal and Line 6 put a lot into their modeling. I can't see them undercutting that willy nilly for a wild West format like NAM that they have little control over. It doesn't have the ubiquity and stability of say, WAV impulse responses yet.

So that leaves yet another proprietary standard to compete with Tonehub, Tonex, Kemper, QC, Headrush, etc.

I would not be surprised if those companies come with their own solution that can maybe leverage neural networks for e.g amp matching or some other way that could combine their existing modeling with the ease of "capture my favorite real amp at these settings". Just adding a "NAM block" is not interesting.

Ultimately a fraction of users are capturing their real gear. A lot of people are not very experienced with amps so having everything "pre-baked" has appeal. Unless they own the real amp, they wouldn't know if the capture sounds authentic or not, so it becomes a game of "wow this sounds great to me!" instead. I think that's part of the success for e.g NeuralDSP plugins, good sounds out of the box.

For a company like Fractal that seems driven by an obsession of quality, it doesnt seem on-brand to surrender tones on the device to a bunch of shittily made captures. (On all of these captures platforms, you’re doing well if you can find one good one in every ten you demo) Its also an increasingly irrelevant feature for Line 6 or Fractal because of the amount of native models they now have in their libraries.

Which sort of goes to my general feel that capturing is really only important for companies and devices that can’t offer extensive libraries of quality models. Or companies that like the potential for future paid DLC.

I know it’s hypothetical but I can’t get over the idea of a unit charging you to do a capture. Maybe kemper could have had a coin slot on the side and Christoph comes around once a month to grab his change, great side hustle in this economy.

1719246723847.png

Back