TGF Do Something Weekly Challenge Week 1 Thread

That's why I'm planning to go into the hot tub.

So my first few tracks I put down I did Helix Native to "keep my options open" but I don't like the sound at all. I may just ran everything through the Axe FX 3. Then I can focus on just trying to write and play the tracks instead of tone.

Stand Up Comedy Netflix GIF by Bert Kreischer

:rofl

Yup. Feel you there. My only commitment, so far, is to do it all (guitars/bass) in the box with the FM3, and
also highlight/use ONLY Gift of Tone Presets to do so. :idk

Everyone is killing it!!! :beer

Oh, and I swear I have never heard a Marshall sound like that----at least NOT a DSL!

+1 to both of those statements!

I doubled checked the gear used after about 10 seconds!

That's why I'm planning to go into the hot tub.

So my first few tracks I put down I did Helix Native to "keep my options open" but I don't like the sound at all. I may just ran everything through the Axe FX 3. Then I can focus on just trying to write and play the tracks instead of tone.

Hahahah that was my intention but the EMG's showed up Saturday and I was dead set about using them. Thankfully, it took me all of 2 minutes to dial in the JPIIC+ preset I was using for my Solar to work with the EMG's. It actually helped things because with the JB that was in this before I had to be so careful about how I hit the low E (I'm in drop D) because the tone would mush out if I hit it too hard, but palm muting while lightening up your attack between the notes at that tempo is just punishment. Now I can wail the piss out of that string and it just sounds like big burly man.

Charlie Day Lol GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Stand Up Comedy Netflix GIF by Bert Kreischer

:rofl

Yup. Feel you there. My only commitment, so far, is to do it all (guitars/bass) in the box with the FM3, and
also highlight/use ONLY Gift of Tone Presets to do so. :idk

Damn, you're not even waiting for the themed challenges!

Great submissions all (y) I only hope to be worthy :)

Here's a cross of blues, jazz, electro, rock, and probably other things I'm forgetting :) It's called "Strange Cold Blues" and includes some cool visuals. All original. I produced, played or programmed everything.

Gear used in production; Roland TD-17, Yamaha CP73, Groove Synthesis 3rd Wave, Novation Bass Station, Sequential PRO3, Fractal FM9, GS Music e7, UDO Super 6, Arturia PolyBrute, Arturia MatrixBrute, Arturia Stage 73 V2, Arturia Wurli V2, Arturia FX Collection, Moog Animoog Z, ExpressiveE Noisy, Exer Serum, Valhalla Delay, Valhalla Shimmer, PRS S2 Standard, PRS CE-24, Fender MLB Stratocaster, Valhalla Supermassive,

Damn, you're not even waiting for the themed challenges!

I need a challenge within a Challenge. :LOL: It really helps keep me focused.

The only trouble is it removes options, and I have to hold my feet to the fire, and then
people come in here and drop totally bomb shit, and it leads me to I rethink everything I
have done so far.

I am going to embrace the self-imposed restrictions, though. I got this!

Maybe. :rofl

I need a challenge within a Challenge. :LOL: It really helps keep me focused.

The only trouble is it removes options, and I have to hold my feet to the fire, and then
people come in here and drop totally bomb s**t, and it leads me to I rethink everything I
have done so far.

I am going to embrace the self-imposed restrictions, though. I got this!

Maybe. :rofl

Hahahah you're good, man. If you can go play in a room with a few other dudes you're more than capable of doing this!

And yeah, I'm blown away by the submissions. Flaka dropping that thrash one hurt. :ROFLMAO: I could only listen to it once because I needed to forget it before I started ripping it off!

Great submissions all (y) I only hope to be worthy :)

Here's a cross of blues, jazz, electro, rock, and probably other things I'm forgetting :) It's called "Strange Cold Blues" and includes some cool visuals. All original. I produced, played or programmed everything.

Gear used in production; Roland TD-17, Yamaha CP73, Groove Synthesis 3rd Wave, Novation Bass Station, Sequential PRO3, Fractal FM9, GS Music e7, UDO Super 6, Arturia PolyBrute, Arturia MatrixBrute, Arturia Stage 73 V2, Arturia Wurli V2, Arturia FX Collection, Moog Animoog Z, ExpressiveE Noisy, Exer Serum, Valhalla Delay, Valhalla Shimmer, PRS S2 Standard, PRS CE-24, Fender MLB Stratocaster, Valhalla Supermassive,

Holy sh*t dude, this is crazy. This sounds like Frank Zappa told Roger Waters and Gilmour what to do! I was not expecting the blues guitar to come up when it did. I love changes out of the middle of nowhere going in entirely different directions but not feeling jarring at all, that's really awesome. Outstanding, man!

Here`s a little song i wrote... :rimshot ( my submission )
I dont like to sit and tweak a song for days and days, so a lot of my music is just a `demo` quick and easy and on to the next one

I use Cubase 10.5 as my DAW
Drums : Toontrack SD3 ( Modern Metal High preset )
I used my `modeler` on bass and guitar.
My guitar is a Yamaha PAC 611 and my bass is a 5 string Dingwall

Guitar track - Mesa Boogie Studio Pre Capture with Mesa Trad S UKV30 90`s cab and Bogner Uber V30 cab ( Pan L & R and 70 % and 70% ) sometimes with a Tape Delay (mono)
Bass Track - Mesa Boogie CA 400+ Ch 2 Model with Darkglass 212 Neo Cab + with Izotope Nectar Bass preset. On Bass DI track I used Darkglass B7k plugin ( cutting a lot of lows, and this is used just to get some `Clank`

Master Plugin- Izotope Ozone 10

Holy sh*t dude, this is crazy. This sounds like Frank Zappa told Roger Waters and Gilmour what to do! I was not expecting the blues guitar to come up when it did. I love changes out of the middle of nowhere going in entirely different directions but not feeling jarring at all, that's really awesome. Outstanding, man!

Hahahah you're good, man. If you can go play in a room with a few other dudes you're more than capable of doing this!

And yeah, I'm blown away by the submissions. Flaka dropping that thrash one hurt. :ROFLMAO: I could only listen to it once because I needed to forget it before I started ripping it off!

Oh yeah, I am not sweating it THAT much. Just more about how I want to approach it, what I want it to
sound like, and how much time I am going to spend putting lipstick on this pig.

Definitely need more lipstick now!! :rofl

I am discovering that the longer you wait to get in the water the more awkward you feel disrobing pool-side and
revealing to the rest of the crew your well-nourished Dad Bod. :idk
No kidding. I should’ve gone first before I saw how much talent is on here, lmao. I’m such a hack compared to everyone else here. :wat

Is There Anybody Out There - Pink Floyd (cover, obviously)
Gear Used:
- Martin D28
- iPhone

Oh well - I wanted to play along too. BUT - I leave in 2 days for a 10-day vacation with my lovely wife - just the two of us on the white sand beaches of Anguilla. Be jealous! 😉

And as such - I’m slammed trying to get work done in prep for the trip and I don’t have time to figure out how to record into Logic, or make up a song to the drum tracks, or any of that. So just to get a submission in, I thought I’d post this very “non metal” fingerpicking song I’ve been working on…flubs and all. (Is it just me, or as soon as you start recording your fingers immediately forget where to go!? Grr…)

Here`s a little song i wrote... :rimshot ( my submission )
I dont like to sit and tweak a song for days and days, so a lot of my music is just a `demo` quick and easy and on to the next one

I use Cubase 10.5 as my DAW
Drums : Toontrack SD3 ( Modern Metal High preset )
I used my `modeler` on bass and guitar.
My guitar is a Yamaha PAC 611 and my bass is a 5 string Dingwall

Guitar track - Mesa Boogie Studio Pre Capture with Mesa Trad S UKV30 90`s cab and Bogner Uber V30 cab ( Pan L & R and 70 % and 70% ) sometimes with a Tape Delay (mono)
Bass Track - Mesa Boogie CA 400+ Ch 2 Model with Darkglass 212 Neo Cab + with Izotope Nectar Bass preset. On Bass DI track I used Darkglass B7k plugin ( cutting a lot of lows, and this is used just to get some `Clank`

Master Plugin- Izotope Ozone 10

Nice! Love the layering of different guitar parts throughout this and all the tones, bass included. Tight work, man! Really great job with the drums, too!

No kidding. I should’ve gone first before I saw how much talent is on here, lmao. I’m such a hack compared to everyone else here. :wat

Is There Anybody Out There - Pink Floyd (cover, obviously)
Gear Used:
- Martin D28
- iPhone

Oh well - I wanted to play along too. BUT - I leave in 2 days for a 10-day vacation with my lovely wife - just the two of us on the white sand beaches of Anguilla. Be jealous! 😉

And as such - I’m slammed trying to get work done in prep for the trip and I don’t have time to figure out how to record into Logic, or make up a song to the drum tracks, or any of that. So just to get a submission in, I thought I’d post this very “non metal” fingerpicking song I’ve been working on…flubs and all. (Is it just me, or as soon as you start recording your fingers immediately forget where to go!? Grr…)

Floyd is a quick way into my heart! Excellent job, man! You did what David Gilmour didn't feel confident enough doing in the studio! Hard to go wrong with a D-28. The owner of my company asked me a couple weeks ago, "Have you heard of Martin guitars?" "Of course." 'I just got one, C28 or something" "D-28?!" "Yeah that's it, I really like it"

The guy is so nonchalant about it it's like he tried a new can of sardines last friday or something. :ROFLMAO:

Floyd is a quick way into my heart! Excellent job, man! You did what David Gilmour didn't feel confident enough doing in the studio! Hard to go wrong with a D-28. The owner of my company asked me a couple weeks ago, "Have you heard of Martin guitars?" "Of course." 'I just got one, C28 or something" "D-28?!" "Yeah that's it, I really like it"

The guy is so nonchalant about it it's like he tried a new can of sardines last friday or something. :ROFLMAO:
Thanks boss. Really appreciate it. Yeah, despite the video evidence, that Martin is an easy and fun playing guitar, LOL. And lmao about that guy not knowing that the D28 is an icon.

Ok, I'm not gonna have time to do anything original this week, but I didn't want to miss out on the first week submission, so here's a cover of one of my all-time favorite songs I threw together this morning.

The drums are one of the GarageBand automated drummers

Everything else you hear is:
- Gibson Les Paul Standard
- Marshall DSL40CR
- York Audio IRs (Matchless 212 + Bassman 410)

Reverb, compression, and delay are from GarageBand

Even though it's not an original, I still learned a ton from doing this. Every time I record I'm reminded of what a horrible tendency I have to push and be in front of the beat.. I need to work on my timing in general. This was a really good reminder of that.

The hardest part to record was actually the rhythm guitar that's just plunking out chords under the whole song. Keeping that steady was challenging. At first I tried to do it in sections, but I realized there was too much discrepancy if I didn't do it all through in one take.

Another thing I'm learning listening back to this is that my reference headphones are super bass heavy so this sounds WAY thinner and brighter than what I thought I was mixing. Definitely something I'll have to keep in mind next time :unsure:

That was really really nice Metropolis. Crazy to get that cool tone out of the DSL40. Nice clean playing and had such a feel good vibe!

Back