TGF Do Something Weekly Challenge Week 1 Thread

Great submissions all (y) I only hope to be worthy :)

Here's a cross of blues, jazz, electro, rock, and probably other things I'm forgetting :) It's called "Strange Cold Blues" and includes some cool visuals. All original. I produced, played or programmed everything.

Gear used in production; Roland TD-17, Yamaha CP73, Groove Synthesis 3rd Wave, Novation Bass Station, Sequential PRO3, Fractal FM9, GS Music e7, UDO Super 6, Arturia PolyBrute, Arturia MatrixBrute, Arturia Stage 73 V2, Arturia Wurli V2, Arturia FX Collection, Moog Animoog Z, ExpressiveE Noisy, Exer Serum, Valhalla Delay, Valhalla Shimmer, PRS S2 Standard, PRS CE-24, Fender MLB Stratocaster, Valhalla Supermassive,

Damn, that’s quite a production. Really cool. I was vibing with you there at the beginning, but like Drew said, when the lead guitar kicked in, I was like “woah - cool!!”

Man I want to be like all of you guys when I grow up. But I feel it’s too late, LOL.

Damn, that’s quite a production. Really cool. I was vibing with you there at the beginning, but like Drew said, when the lead guitar kicked in, I was like “woah - cool!!”

Man I want to be like all of you guys when I grow up. But I feel it’s too late, LOL.
Thanks. No need to grow up. I'm in no hurry to :)

f*****g Soundcloud. Hey let's limit your tracks when you upload them so they sound weak and then
sell you this mastering package to get them back to where they were in your DAW. f*****g bastards.

:horse
What is that all about?

I’m maxed out on SoundCloud so I may just start loading to YouTube.

Got a bunch of tracks done, still need to finish the song structure and do finals but it’s close. Kind of cool but kind of generic. I need a better bridge/end and I think I have something in mind.

Also I found that for quick idea recording the neural DSP stuff worked way better than helix native. But then my computer struggled with a lot of tracks. I think I’ll probably try and just track my fractal and see if I can add some wet effects in the daw.

Dude, I kinda knew you would do something really good. And I have to say this is my favorite contribution so far! I am a sucker for the more melancholic side of Rock and Metal, and the tone you achieved with your "modeler" is excellent! I love the way you made use of the stereo field, and the subtle volume swells are a nice addition to the atmosphere. Well done, SeeD! :-)

Man, I put a dress on this pig. Gave it a little Lipo. Took the dress off. Put it back on. Added some makeup.
Took off the dress and all of the makeup off. Ended up with a pissed off pig. :LOL:

If this qualifies as an ode I guess it is an ode to Power Trios. It's just Guitar, Bass, and some of Drew's Drums.

I changed the tempo and time sig. Of course, had to go with 9/8. :watWhy not? Dropped the tempo, too. (90-ish)
Maybe you can guess which drum file it was from Drew's shared files. :idk

Used my Charvel DK24 in drop D. Devin Townsend's Fractal Gift of Tone Preset in the FM3--as is, with the Drive
engaged. That Herbert Ch.3 was a little too thick with the Drive bypassed. Alsoi I disabled the Delay. Everything
else was unchanged from that Preset.

Bass is a Squier Paranormal Jazz Bass. I used Tom Hamilton from Aerosmith's Fractal Gift Of Tone Preset, Scene 3
Drive. Changed nothing. Sounded good to me so I rolled with it.

Both tracks are pretty much from the first few run throughs. Even got a "You can't get feedback from a modeler,"
section in there for the haters and naysayers. :rawk

I messed with this thing so much, and ended just up going back to some of the first "scratch" tracks I played. WTF
is up with that? Stripped it all back down. First thought, best thought sort of thing? I don't know.

Also, I found Dropbox had more fidelity in playback than Soundcloud when uploading. Soundcloud was stealing
some dBs and compressing it more. Not sure why? Maybe it is to get you to buy one of their packages. Just a guess.

I may dress this pig back up and share it later this week. We'll see. I like this stripped back version. A pig
is still just a pig, right? :idk

DAW: Reaper
Interface: Tascam Model 12
Plug-ins: Totally in the box with what Reaper has. Just Comped and EQ'd the bass and drums,
and High-passed the guitar to trim some of the fat off the pig. :rofl

Last edited:
Dude, I kinda knew you would do something really good. And I have to say this is my favorite contribution so far! I am a sucker for the more melancholic side of Rock and Metal, and the tone you achieved with your "modeler" is excellent! I love the way you made use of the stereo field, and the subtle volume swells are a nice addition to the atmosphere. Well done, SeeD! :-)
Thanks! I appreciate your nice words, makes me wanna do one more next week :beer

Man, I put a dress on this pig. Gave it a little Lipo. Took the dress off. Put it back on. Added some makeup.
Took off the dress and all of the makeup off. Ended up with a pissed off pig. :LOL:

If this qualifies as an ode I guess it is an ode to Power Trios. It's just Guitar, Bass, and some of Drew's Drums.

I changed the tempo and time sig. Of course, had to go with 9/8. :watWhy not? Dropped the tempo, too. (90-ish)

Used my Charvel DK24 in drop D. Devin Townsend's Fractal Gift of Tone Preset in the FM3--as is, with the Drive
engaged. That Herbert Ch.3 was a little too thick with the Drive bypassed. Alsoi I disabled the Delay. Everything

Bass is a Squier Paranormal Jazz Bass. I used Tom Hamilton from Aerosmith's Fractal Gift Of Tone Preset, Scene 3

Both tracks are pretty much from the first few run throughs. Even got a "You can't get feedback from a modeler,"

I messed with this thing so much, and ended just up going back to some of the first "scratch" tracks I played. WTF
is up with that? Stripped it all back down. First thought, best thought sort of thing? I don't know.

Also, I found Dropbox had more fidelity in playback than Soundcloud when uploading. Soundcloud was stealing
some dBs and compressing it more. Not sure why? Maybe it is to get you to buy one of their packages. Just a guess.

I may dress this pig back up and share it later this week. We'll see. I like this stripped back version. A pig

Plug-ins: Totally in the box with what Reaper has. Just Comped and EQ'd the bass and drums,
Nice job on the riffs! Banging :rawk

Great submissions all (y) I only hope to be worthy :)

Here's a cross of blues, jazz, electro, rock, and probably other things I'm forgetting :) It's called "Strange Cold Blues" and includes some cool visuals. All original. I produced, played or programmed everything.

Gear used in production; Roland TD-17, Yamaha CP73, Groove Synthesis 3rd Wave, Novation Bass Station, Sequential PRO3, Fractal FM9, GS Music e7, UDO Super 6, Arturia PolyBrute, Arturia MatrixBrute, Arturia Stage 73 V2, Arturia Wurli V2, Arturia FX Collection, Moog Animoog Z, ExpressiveE Noisy, Exer Serum, Valhalla Delay, Valhalla Shimmer, PRS S2 Standard, PRS CE-24, Fender MLB Stratocaster, Valhalla Supermassive,

Man, I love the blues - when the guitar kicks in my brain is just like "Kick back, relax and just know this is where you're gonna be for a long time..." then the song ended... :hmm

Amazing video skills, BTW. I really need to learn how to do those. I tried doing some stuff with iMovie, but it sucks my will to live. So, I downloaded ShotCut, but haven't bothered to learn how to use it yet... #slacker
Here`s a little song i wrote... :rimshot ( my submission )
I dont like to sit and tweak a song for days and days, so a lot of my music is just a `demo` quick and easy and on to the next one

I use Cubase 10.5 as my DAW
Drums : Toontrack SD3 ( Modern Metal High preset )
I used my `modeler` on bass and guitar.
My guitar is a Yamaha PAC 611 and my bass is a 5 string Dingwall

Guitar track - Mesa Boogie Studio Pre Capture with Mesa Trad S UKV30 90`s cab and Bogner Uber V30 cab ( Pan L & R and 70 % and 70% ) sometimes with a Tape Delay (mono)
Bass Track - Mesa Boogie CA 400+ Ch 2 Model with Darkglass 212 Neo Cab + with Izotope Nectar Bass preset. On Bass DI track I used Darkglass B7k plugin ( cutting a lot of lows, and this is used just to get some `Clank`

Master Plugin- Izotope Ozone 10

Really cool vibe to this one - and the stereo spread sounds magnificent on my ref monitors - every single instrument occupies it's own space in the sound field - great job on that. More please!
How are you guys exporting your tracks? MP3s, and then upload to an online site?
GarageBand lets you upload straight to Soundcloud. But, Soundcloud, who uses OUR MUSIC to make money, limits the amount you can upload without paying them... yes, paying them so they can make money on our music... :crazy

Definitely need to learn to use ShotCut so I can just ditch SC and use Youtube.
No kidding. I should’ve gone first before I saw how much talent is on here, lmao. I’m such a hack compared to everyone else here. :wat

Is There Anybody Out There - Pink Floyd (cover, obviously)
Gear Used:
- Martin D28
- iPhone

Oh well - I wanted to play along too. BUT - I leave in 2 days for a 10-day vacation with my lovely wife - just the two of us on the white sand beaches of Anguilla. Be jealous! 😉

And as such - I’m slammed trying to get work done in prep for the trip and I don’t have time to figure out how to record into Logic, or make up a song to the drum tracks, or any of that. So just to get a submission in, I thought I’d post this very “non metal” fingerpicking song I’ve been working on…flubs and all. (Is it just me, or as soon as you start recording your fingers immediately forget where to go!? Grr…)

Oh man... Floyd gets me every time. Great job! Totally captured the feel of that song.

Here is my Do Something. Just a cover of Gilmour 5AM.

A Frankenstrat I made with a cheap body and a scalloped neck from AliExpress. Harmonic Design Z-90 pickups, Axe-FX III, Omnisphere, Cakewalk

More Floyd/Gilmour is NEVER a bad thing. And, wow does that Frank sound sweet! Great job!

Good stuff brutha! Really dig the guitar tones. And that main riff develops really well.

When @DrewJD82 first suggested this, I was hoping 5, 6 maybe 7 people would join in. It's only Tuesday and we've blown so far past that - love it! So many talented people! Keep 'em coming!

f*****g Soundcloud. Hey let's limit your tracks when you upload them so they sound weak and then
sell you this mastering package to get them back to where they were in your DAW. f*****g bastards.

:horse

Hahahah I just have a free account that everything you’ve ever heard me do is uploaded to!

Hahahah I just have a free account that everything you’ve ever heard me do is uploaded to!
Man, I’ve literally deleted like 40-50 songs off mine over the years cause I ran into the upload limit so many times. How on Earth have you not hit that yet?

Man, half you guys were on here talkin’ like you’d be posting a 5 second clip trying to get the first couple notes of Mary Had A Little Lamb right, then everyone starts postin’ rippin’ songs and changing time sigs to 9/8 with killer tones. F*ckin’ liars. :rofl

This was awesome, man! That Dev preset sounds much better in your hands than it does mine! Really cool Tool vibe in this, too!

Was this your first time using Reaper? I only listened on my ipad so far but that sounded pretty damn good, man!

Man, I’ve literally deleted like 40-50 songs off mine over the years cause I ran into the upload limit so many times. How on Earth have you not hit that yet?

hahahah I did delete a bunch a while ago, but I’m pretty surprised at how much they allow a free account to maintain, especially since I only load WAVs on there!

Here is my Do Something. Just a cover of Gilmour 5AM.

A Frankenstrat I made with a cheap body and a scalloped neck from AliExpress. Harmonic Design Z-90 pickups, Axe-FX III, Omnisphere, Cakewalk

Damn man, that was outstanding. Great, great job on the tone and dynamics throughout!!

Good thing I’m not judging these cuz ya guys could just use the cheat code Gilmour and get my votes. :rofl

My morning so far consisted of listening to this and @la szum‘s submission, hoping this sets the pace for the rest of my day!

Man, I love the blues - when the guitar kicks in my brain is just like "Kick back, relax and just know this is where you're gonna be for a long time..." then the song ended... :hmm

Amazing video skills, BTW. I really need to learn how to do those. I tried doing some stuff with iMovie, but it sucks my will to live. So, I downloaded ShotCut, but haven't bothered to learn how to use it yet... #slacker

Thanks. The visuals were created using Synesthesia.

Back