TGF Do Something Weekly Challenge Week 1 Thread

Damn man, that was outstanding. Great, great job on the tone and dynamics throughout!!

Good thing I’m not judging these cuz ya guys could just use the cheat code Gilmour and get my votes. :rofl

My morning so far consisted of listening to this and @la szum‘s submission, hoping this sets the pace for the rest of my day!

I will bribe you with the preset. Give me the award! :clint

I hereby humbly submit my contribution to this week's TGF challenge.
I chose the Hard Rock MIDI file and wrote a little Gothic Metal / Rock tune. Really enjoyed the challenge to keep the MIDI file untouched (apart from slightly increasing the tempo) and fit my ideas into the predetermined structure.

Gear used:
- Fender MiJ Modern Strat w. EMG 85/66
- PRS S2 Custom 22 w. EMG 81/66
- Fender Player Precision w. EMG P
- Fractal Audio FM3
- Line 6 Helix Native
- ML Sound Lab & OwnHammer IRs
- EZdrummer 3 w. Death Metal EZX
- PreSonus Quantum 2
- Cubase 12 w. FabFilter, PSP & Valhalla plugins

Last edited:
I chose the Hard Rock MIDI file and created a little Gothic Metal / Rock tune. I really enjoyed the challenge to keep the MIDI file untouched (apart from slightly increasing the tempo) and fit my ideas into the predetermined structure.

Gear used:
- Fractal Audio FM3
- Line 6 Helix Native
- PreSonus Quantum 2

So clean and tight!!! Great tones here, man!! I really dig the harmonies moving around in certain spots!

Everyone has really blown me away with their submissions, especially for as much “I’m nervous!” posts that led up to the challenge starting! No more of that, you ’Fers! Now I know you’re all more than capable!!!

Man, I’ve literally deleted like 40-50 songs off mine over the years cause I ran into the upload limit so many times. How on Earth have you not hit that yet?

I had one maxed out on my old e-mail address, which I used primarily for doing tone demos and modeler comparisons. Just created a new one with my new e-mail address that I'll use for actual songs.

Planning to wrap up the song today while I have momentum. I've got a bunch of ideas in my head where I hear the song going, including time signature changes and swells, but I think I'll just keep this one as short and sweet as possible as a building point. Hopefully I can use these challenges to learn more functionality and get better at using the tools, as well as song writing.

For this current song, I'm using Garageband and EZ Drummer 2. If I knock out a few of these, I may upgrade to EZ Drummer 3 as a little more incentive, as it seems like there's more features to help quickly stand up drums. Also, I have a trial for Logic Pro (which I used to use back in the day), although Garageband has been fine for the simple recordings I tend to make.

I was just finally able to play the main riffs in my submission up to tempo last night, hopefully tonight I can get to tracking them. I still have a huge section of the song to write, too. I kept trying to work on it last night and every time I turned around there was another submission to listen to! I definitely need to make some progress or I’ll be submitting the thing at exactly 11:59PM on friday night!

I had one maxed out on my old e-mail address, which I used primarily for doing tone demos and modeler comparisons. Just created a new one with my new e-mail address that I'll use for actual songs.
:rollsafe

I chose the Hard Rock MIDI file and created a little Gothic Metal / Rock tune. Really enjoyed the challenge to keep the MIDI file untouched (apart from slightly increasing the tempo) and fit my ideas into the predetermined structure.

Gear used:
- Fractal Audio FM3
- Line 6 Helix Native
- PreSonus Quantum 2

Nice playing man!
Loved the part at 1.07 and the chorus :beer

Slacker...

:hmm

:rofl

Saturday’s EMG issue expedition set me back a good 7 hours. I wrote most of the riffs right before the EMG’s showed up and then things grinned to a halt. Didn’t help I got loaded later in the night and had to fight off a hangover the next day. :bag

Here`s a little song i wrote... :rimshot ( my submission )
I dont like to sit and tweak a song for days and days, so a lot of my music is just a `demo` quick and easy and on to the next one

I use Cubase 10.5 as my DAW
Drums : Toontrack SD3 ( Modern Metal High preset )
I used my `modeler` on bass and guitar.
My guitar is a Yamaha PAC 611 and my bass is a 5 string Dingwall

Guitar track - Mesa Boogie Studio Pre Capture with Mesa Trad S UKV30 90`s cab and Bogner Uber V30 cab ( Pan L & R and 70 % and 70% ) sometimes with a Tape Delay (mono)
Bass Track - Mesa Boogie CA 400+ Ch 2 Model with Darkglass 212 Neo Cab + with Izotope Nectar Bass preset. On Bass DI track I used Darkglass B7k plugin ( cutting a lot of lows, and this is used just to get some `Clank`

Master Plugin- Izotope Ozone 10

Wow, the production is great! I really love the sound of the bass and the floor tom in particular, but all of it sounds fantastic.

I chose the Hard Rock MIDI file and created a little Gothic Metal / Rock tune. Really enjoyed the challenge to keep the MIDI file untouched (apart from slightly increasing the tempo) and fit my ideas into the predetermined structure.

Gear used:
- Fractal Audio FM3
- Line 6 Helix Native
- PreSonus Quantum 2

Again, woah, holy tones, Batman. No way I can swim with you sharks LOL.

Again, woah, holy tones, Batman. No way I can swim with you sharks LOL.
You Can Do It Waterboy GIF

Good stuff! Great change of pace from most of the other submissions too. And, it's inspiring how self-aware you are and how much effort you're putting into growing where you feel you should. My only mixing tip: I learned a long time ago to get it where I like it, then go find the crappiest sound source possible and listen to it there... then go back and tweak accordingly. If it sounds decent in my car with crap stock Honda stereo system, it sounds KILLER through my reference monitors.

Thanks, that’s a great tip!

I am loving this so much. Makes me miss my Grandma, and long for simpler times. I say that in the most
heartfelt and humble way imaginable.

Oh, and "thinner" and "brighter" kind of fits the period. Not a lot of thumping low-end in that style. It works.

I was thinking of tossing in something with some 7s and 9s. I figured that the music may slant more metal and
rock here, too.

Everyone is killing it!!! :beer

Oh, and I swear I have never heard a Marshall sound like that----at least NOT a DSL!

I’m so glad to hear that, it makes me feel the same way.

I’m a sucker for nostalgia.

That was all Les Paul plugged directly into that Marshall. And no post EQ either. I’m finding it to be a really versatile amp

That was really really nice Metropolis. Crazy to get that cool tone out of the DSL40. Nice clean playing and had such a feel good vibe!

Thanks! :beer

Here`s a little song i wrote... :rimshot ( my submission )
I dont like to sit and tweak a song for days and days, so a lot of my music is just a `demo` quick and easy and on to the next one

I use Cubase 10.5 as my DAW
Drums : Toontrack SD3 ( Modern Metal High preset )
I used my `modeler` on bass and guitar.
My guitar is a Yamaha PAC 611 and my bass is a 5 string Dingwall

Guitar track - Mesa Boogie Studio Pre Capture with Mesa Trad S UKV30 90`s cab and Bogner Uber V30 cab ( Pan L & R and 70 % and 70% ) sometimes with a Tape Delay (mono)
Bass Track - Mesa Boogie CA 400+ Ch 2 Model with Darkglass 212 Neo Cab + with Izotope Nectar Bass preset. On Bass DI track I used Darkglass B7k plugin ( cutting a lot of lows, and this is used just to get some `Clank`

Master Plugin- Izotope Ozone 10

Very nice! So we’ll mixed and that bass sounds soooo good :chef

Even on my crappy phone speaker the bass sits perfect!

No kidding. I should’ve gone first before I saw how much talent is on here, lmao. I’m such a hack compared to everyone else here. :wat

Is There Anybody Out There - Pink Floyd (cover, obviously)
Gear Used:
- Martin D28
- iPhone

Oh well - I wanted to play along too. BUT - I leave in 2 days for a 10-day vacation with my lovely wife - just the two of us on the white sand beaches of Anguilla. Be jealous! 😉

And as such - I’m slammed trying to get work done in prep for the trip and I don’t have time to figure out how to record into Logic, or make up a song to the drum tracks, or any of that. So just to get a submission in, I thought I’d post this very “non metal” fingerpicking song I’ve been working on…flubs and all. (Is it just me, or as soon as you start recording your fingers immediately forget where to go!? Grr…)

Sounded great!

Yeah, my fingers always do the same thing. I can play something perfectly for years and then the minute the record light is on I suddenly revert to being a kid picking up my instrument for the first time :grin

Gear used:
- Fractal Audio FM3
- Line 6 Helix Native
- PreSonus Quantum 2

Wow, KILLER rhythm tone!!

I live in Iligan City in Mindanao, which is in the southern part of the country. You ever been to the Philippines?

Not yet, but I would love to! My dad was considering moving there for his retirement but I’m not sure what the deal with that is yet. I just know ya’ll can keep your fermented duck eggs! :rofl And whatever dish my stepmom makes with fermented fish and mushrooms…..oh my god, I’ve never smelled something like that before, I had to leave the house it was so bad!!

Wrinkle:

Garageband kept crashing this morning due to some unstable plugins. I have a feeling the issue is EZ Drummer, so I'm going to pivot and try to do something very similar using the native Garageband drummer.

Not yet, but I would love to! My dad was considering moving there for his retirement but I’m not sure what the deal with that is yet. I just know ya’ll can keep your fermented duck eggs! :rofl And whatever dish my stepmom makes with fermented fish and mushrooms…..oh my god, I’ve never smelled something like that before, I had to leave the house it was so bad!!
You should visit your stepmom's place in Baguio. The climate is pretty nice up there, and they got some good weed too;) As for fermented duck eggs, the trick is to eat them only when you're drunk as fuck, and it'll taste just like chicken:ROFLMAO:

Back