TGF Do Something Weekly Challenge Week 1 Thread

Okay, here's my submission:

Started writing/recording on Saturday, finished up recording vocals and mixing this morning (Sunday).

Gear used: 2012 Mac Mini with Reaper Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Gen2, 22 DAW tracks total - 3 of which are Parent/Master tracks.

Guitar: Ibanez Prestige AZ2402-PWF - 6 tracks, 3 DI tracks using Helix Native and three live recorded tracks using an HX Stomp and when needed - my Creambackatana for feedback in the room.
  1. Rhythm L: Horizon Drive - Placater Dirty - Dual GB25 4x12 cabs using 57/121 mics (50% L)
  2. Rhythm R: Horizon Drive - Badonk - Dual Cali V30 4x12 cabs using 47FET/SM7 mics (50% R)
  3. Lead R: Horizon Drive - Badonk - Dual Cali V30 4x12 cabs using 47FET/SM7 mics (40% R)
  4. Lead L: (Tracked live with HX Stomp) Wah - Dlx. Comp. - Essex A30 - Alex Cab Heavy Cream 3 IR - Transistor Tape and Dynamic Plate used for the spacey outro. (40% L)
  5. Fuzz 1 (Tracked Live with Stomp) Dlux Comp - KWB - A30 - Heavy Cream 3 IR (Center)
  6. Fuzz 2 (Tracked Live with Stomp) Dlux Comp - "Ring Fuzz" (Bighorn Fuzz/Pitch Ring Mod) - US Princess - Heavy Cream 3 IR (Center)
Bass: Ibanez TMB100 - 2 Tracks, both DI with Helix Native.
  1. Bass Dirt: Vital Dist (Parallel) - 60s Bias Trem - Ampeg SVT-4 PRO - Script Mod Phase
  2. Bass Clean - Factory 1 Preset 036 - BAS:Cougar 800 + High shelf boost +6.2db @ 2kHz
Drums are my Pearl Roadshow kit, sh*tty stock snare head that I need to change, 14" Zildjian A Custom Projection Hats, 17" Zildjian Z Custom Rock Crash, and augmented with XLN Audio Addictive Drums 2. Mics on drums are from a $300 Samson Drum mic kit with a Shure SM57 on snare. Waves CLA-2A on the dual overhead mics, FF Pro-Q 3 and Saturn on the snare. Waves H-Reverb added to the last tom hits at the end.

The Snare is blended about 50% with a sample from AD2 using some room reverb. Kick is blended about 50% with a sample from AD2 as well. Rack and floor tom are 100% replaced -- all using Audio to MIDI plugin.

Three tracks of Vocals - recorded with a handheld SM57, processed with Waves CLA-2A, some Low cut from FF Pro-q 3, and driven with the Warm Tape setting in FF Saturn, with some H-Reverb for the end parts.

Waves MetaFlanger on the mix bus for the intro (along with some bandpass filtering). and some subtle flanging on the outro.

First time actually trying vocals in this style. The lyrics are inspired by my trippy dreams, practicing lucid dreaming, and living with medication.

Wow. Really impressed - not only with the playing and songwriting and vocals, but also the production with all those tracks, etc. Nice job!

So this was suppose to go on my youtube channel but the good people of Toho really like to block all things Zilla-ish... oh well. Here is my take on Drew's thrash drums. Good lord @DrewJD82 I think there needs to be more time changes in that file btw lol... also had to slow it down from 210 bps to 200... I'm getting too old for this sheeyit lol.

Last edited:
So this was suppose to go on my youtube channel but the good people of Toho really like to block all things Zilla-ish... oh well. Here is my take on Drew's thrash drums. Good lord @DrewJD82 I think there needs to be more time changes in that file btw lol... also had to slow it down from 210 bps to 200... I'm getting too old for this sheeyit lol.

ho-lee-shit that was exciting

Hmm... See if this works? I'll try to fix everything later... got to make dinner and feed childrens and stuff... :bag

Holy carp! :oops: Very cool - love the music with the video. Nice thrashing. Man we have some talent here on the forums. Nice and tight, and I loved the tone too. (By the way, I could only watch this one - the FB Watch post above didn’t work for me).

Hmm... See if this works? I'll try to fix everything later... got to make dinner and feed childrens and stuff... :bag

Well, I just went and deleted whatever I had for this drum track. :rofl

Goddddaaaammmnn, dude! That RIPPED!!!!! Killer f*cking tone and just excellent all around, that was nonstop headbanging-worthy, f*ck! As soon as I heard the guitars I started chuckling because the tone I’m using on my version is really similar and then I see at the end you’re using a Greco LPC and I’m using the Edwards LPC. You have EMG’s in that?

I just had to shut Reverb a minute ago because I’m looking at white Edwards LPC’s now, I’m so head over heels with this guitar I want another one!

F*cking sick, man. Always love your video work, too!

Thanks guys! Like many of you guys I have to juggle the wife and kids thing. I tried to jump in last night, heard that drum track and was like.. uh.. I should probably get some sleep lol. Then today after breakfast my wife and kids wanted to see the Avatar... I said have fun, and cranked shit up. :clint

Well, I just went and deleted whatever I had for this drum track. :rofl

Goddddaaaammmnn, dude! That RIPPED!!!!! Killer f*cking tone and just excellent all around, that was nonstop headbanging-worthy, f*ck! As soon as I heard the guitars I started chuckling because the tone I’m using on my version is really similar and then I see at the end you’re using a Greco LPC and I’m using the Edwards LPC. You have EMG’s in that?

I just had to shut Reverb a minute ago because I’m looking at white Edwards LPC’s now, I’m so head over heels with this guitar I want another one!

F*cking sick, man. Always love your video work, too!
Don't delete man, submit lol! I do love my MIJ LPC's man. Got a greco, an orville and an orville by gibson, all great guitars and all with different neck thickness. I don't have any with emgs in them yet but that may change soon. I'm using some really hot pickups a friend made with alinico 8 magnets, it sounds so aggressive af, I love it.

Here's mine.

GEAR USED:
Drums: Beta Monkey loops & hits
Bass: 1994 Ibanez EXB445 w/Bartolini pups, Helix preset w/Stupor OD pedal, Soldano Lead Amp, Mesa 610 Bass Cali Cab
Guitar 1: 2017 Jackson JS22 Franken-7 (modded with Hipshot bridge, Nazgul bridge pup, Hipshot locking tuners)
Guitar 1 amp & FX: Helix preset w/Stupor OD pedal, Soldano Lead Amp, Mesa Cali V30 Cab
Guitar 2: 2017 Jackson JS22 Franken-7 (modded with Hipshot bridge, Nazgul bridge pup, Hipshot locking tuners)
Guitar 2 amp & FX: Helix preset w/Stupor OD, ANGL Meteor Amp, Ola Englund Mesa OS Cab IR
Guitar 3: 2020 Jackson HT7Pro Series DKNYw/Fishman Classics
Guitar 3 amp & FX: Helix preset w/Stupor OD, Das Bensen Mega (Deizel), Ola Englund Mesa OS Cab IR
Guitar 4: 2020 Jackson HT7Pro Series DKNYw/Fishman Classics
Guitar 4 amp & FX: Helix preset w/Stupor OD, German Ubersonic, Uber 412 V30 Cab

SFX: swiped off Youtube - taken original from the old horror movie Prince of Darkness

Guitars 1 & 2 panned left, 3 & 4 panned right

DAW: Garageband
Interface: Scarlet 2i2 gen 1.

I think that's it...

Dude that was awesome! It was so doom ish but with an industrial vibe to it which is pretty damn cool. Good shit!

Jesus that was amazing on all fronts WOW :headbang
Thanks Stone!

Well, that was all sorts of awesome with a side of killer. Could definitely listen to a whole album of that on the daily. Great job! Love the gain you're using and how it makes your chugs extra crispy. What sort of gear did you use?
Dude that was awesome! It was so doom ish but with an industrial vibe to it which is pretty damn cool. Good s**t!
Thanks! Glad you dig it.

Not really sure if this is logistically feasible, but man it would be cool to have all these songs on one Soundcloud account/playlist to just hit "play" and listen to them all in a row like a compilation album... Each week's entries could be it's own playlist. That would be really, really cool.

I nominate @DrewJD82 to make that happen since he has nothing better to do... :ducks and runs away before Drew bounces an EMG off my forehead:

Okay, here's my submission:

Started writing/recording on Saturday, finished up recording vocals and mixing this morning (Sunday).

Gear used: 2012 Mac Mini with Reaper Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Gen2, 22 DAW tracks total - 3 of which are Parent/Master tracks.

Guitar: Ibanez Prestige AZ2402-PWF - 6 tracks, 3 DI tracks using Helix Native and three live recorded tracks using an HX Stomp and when needed - my Creambackatana for feedback in the room.
  1. Rhythm L: Horizon Drive - Placater Dirty - Dual GB25 4x12 cabs using 57/121 mics (50% L)
  2. Rhythm R: Horizon Drive - Badonk - Dual Cali V30 4x12 cabs using 47FET/SM7 mics (50% R)
  3. Lead R: Horizon Drive - Badonk - Dual Cali V30 4x12 cabs using 47FET/SM7 mics (40% R)
  4. Lead L: (Tracked live with HX Stomp) Wah - Dlx. Comp. - Essex A30 - Alex Cab Heavy Cream 3 IR - Transistor Tape and Dynamic Plate used for the spacey outro. (40% L)
  5. Fuzz 1 (Tracked Live with Stomp) Dlux Comp - KWB - A30 - Heavy Cream 3 IR (Center)
  6. Fuzz 2 (Tracked Live with Stomp) Dlux Comp - "Ring Fuzz" (Bighorn Fuzz/Pitch Ring Mod) - US Princess - Heavy Cream 3 IR (Center)
Bass: Ibanez TMB100 - 2 Tracks, both DI with Helix Native.
  1. Bass Dirt: Vital Dist (Parallel) - 60s Bias Trem - Ampeg SVT-4 PRO - Script Mod Phase
  2. Bass Clean - Factory 1 Preset 036 - BAS:Cougar 800 + High shelf boost +6.2db @ 2kHz
Drums are my Pearl Roadshow kit, sh*tty stock snare head that I need to change, 14" Zildjian A Custom Projection Hats, 17" Zildjian Z Custom Rock Crash, and augmented with XLN Audio Addictive Drums 2. Mics on drums are from a $300 Samson Drum mic kit with a Shure SM57 on snare. Waves CLA-2A on the dual overhead mics, FF Pro-Q 3 and Saturn on the snare. Waves H-Reverb added to the last tom hits at the end.

The Snare is blended about 50% with a sample from AD2 using some room reverb. Kick is blended about 50% with a sample from AD2 as well. Rack and floor tom are 100% replaced -- all using Audio to MIDI plugin.

Three tracks of Vocals - recorded with a handheld SM57, processed with Waves CLA-2A, some Low cut from FF Pro-q 3, and driven with the Warm Tape setting in FF Saturn, with some H-Reverb for the end parts.

Waves MetaFlanger on the mix bus for the intro (along with some bandpass filtering). and some subtle flanging on the outro.

First time actually trying vocals in this style. The lyrics are inspired by my trippy dreams, practicing lucid dreaming, and living with medication.

Horeeshit dude, that was rad. Was not expecting vocals too. So you mic'd your kit? That's so rad and refreshing to hear. We should have you make drums for a challenge sometime, I'd be all over that!

Not really sure if this is logistically feasible, but man it would be cool to have all these songs on one Soundcloud account/playlist to just hit "play" and listen to them all in a row like a compilation album... Each week's entries could be it's own playlist. That would be really, really cool.

I nominate @DrewJD82 to make that happen since he has nothing better to do... :ducks and runs away before Drew bounces an EMG off my forehead:

That’s funny, while getting ready for work this morning I was thinking of doing exactly that!

Back