TGF Do Something Weekly Challenge Week 1 Thread

Okay, here's my submission:

Started writing/recording on Saturday, finished up recording vocals and mixing this morning (Sunday).

Gear used: 2012 Mac Mini with Reaper Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Gen2, 22 DAW tracks total - 3 of which are Parent/Master tracks.

Guitar: Ibanez Prestige AZ2402-PWF - 6 tracks, 3 DI tracks using Helix Native and three live recorded tracks using an HX Stomp and when needed - my Creambackatana for feedback in the room.
  1. Rhythm L: Horizon Drive - Placater Dirty - Dual GB25 4x12 cabs using 57/121 mics (50% L)
  2. Rhythm R: Horizon Drive - Badonk - Dual Cali V30 4x12 cabs using 47FET/SM7 mics (50% R)
  3. Lead R: Horizon Drive - Badonk - Dual Cali V30 4x12 cabs using 47FET/SM7 mics (40% R)
  4. Lead L: (Tracked live with HX Stomp) Wah - Dlx. Comp. - Essex A30 - Alex Cab Heavy Cream 3 IR - Transistor Tape and Dynamic Plate used for the spacey outro. (40% L)
  5. Fuzz 1 (Tracked Live with Stomp) Dlux Comp - KWB - A30 - Heavy Cream 3 IR (Center)
  6. Fuzz 2 (Tracked Live with Stomp) Dlux Comp - "Ring Fuzz" (Bighorn Fuzz/Pitch Ring Mod) - US Princess - Heavy Cream 3 IR (Center)
Bass: Ibanez TMB100 - 2 Tracks, both DI with Helix Native.
  1. Bass Dirt: Vital Dist (Parallel) - 60s Bias Trem - Ampeg SVT-4 PRO - Script Mod Phase
  2. Bass Clean - Factory 1 Preset 036 - BAS:Cougar 800 + High shelf boost +6.2db @ 2kHz
Drums are my Pearl Roadshow kit, sh*tty stock snare head that I need to change, 14" Zildjian A Custom Projection Hats, 17" Zildjian Z Custom Rock Crash, and augmented with XLN Audio Addictive Drums 2. Mics on drums are from a $300 Samson Drum mic kit with a Shure SM57 on snare. Waves CLA-2A on the dual overhead mics, FF Pro-Q 3 and Saturn on the snare. Waves H-Reverb added to the last tom hits at the end.

The Snare is blended about 50% with a sample from AD2 using some room reverb. Kick is blended about 50% with a sample from AD2 as well. Rack and floor tom are 100% replaced -- all using Audio to MIDI plugin.

Three tracks of Vocals - recorded with a handheld SM57, processed with Waves CLA-2A, some Low cut from FF Pro-q 3, and driven with the Warm Tape setting in FF Saturn, with some H-Reverb for the end parts.

Waves MetaFlanger on the mix bus for the intro (along with some bandpass filtering). and some subtle flanging on the outro.

First time actually trying vocals in this style. The lyrics are inspired by my trippy dreams, practicing lucid dreaming, and living with medication.

First off, the list of your process and gear used is off the chain impressive. Second, that song - o_0

Dude! That is awesome!! If Frank Zappa and Scream had a baby who had a baby who was just over the whole post-punk thing, they would wish they were in this band.

More next week please!

Started writing/recording on Saturday, finished up recording vocals and mixing this morning (Sunday).

Gear used: 2012 Mac Mini with Reaper Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Gen2, 22 DAW tracks total - 3 of which are Parent/Master tracks.

Guitar: Ibanez Prestige AZ2402-PWF - 6 tracks, 3 DI tracks using Helix Native and three live recorded tracks using an HX Stomp and when needed - my Creambackatana for feedback in the room.
  1. Rhythm L: Horizon Drive - Placater Dirty - Dual GB25 4x12 cabs using 57/121 mics (50% L)
  2. Rhythm R: Horizon Drive - Badonk - Dual Cali V30 4x12 cabs using 47FET/SM7 mics (50% R)
  3. Lead R: Horizon Drive - Badonk - Dual Cali V30 4x12 cabs using 47FET/SM7 mics (40% R)
  4. Lead L: (Tracked live with HX Stomp) Wah - Dlx. Comp. - Essex A30 - Alex Cab Heavy Cream 3 IR - Transistor Tape and Dynamic Plate used for the spacey outro. (40% L)
  5. Fuzz 1 (Tracked Live with Stomp) Dlux Comp - KWB - A30 - Heavy Cream 3 IR (Center)
  6. Fuzz 2 (Tracked Live with Stomp) Dlux Comp - "Ring Fuzz" (Bighorn Fuzz/Pitch Ring Mod) - US Princess - Heavy Cream 3 IR (Center)
  1. Bass Dirt: Vital Dist (Parallel) - 60s Bias Trem - Ampeg SVT-4 PRO - Script Mod Phase
  2. Bass Clean - Factory 1 Preset 036 - BAS:Cougar 800 + High shelf boost +6.2db @ 2kHz
Drums are my Pearl Roadshow kit, sh*tty stock snare head that I need to change, 14" Zildjian A Custom Projection Hats, 17" Zildjian Z Custom Rock Crash, and augmented with XLN Audio Addictive Drums 2. Mics on drums are from a $300 Samson Drum mic kit with a Shure SM57 on snare. Waves CLA-2A on the dual overhead mics, FF Pro-Q 3 and Saturn on the snare. Waves H-Reverb added to the last tom hits at the end.

The Snare is blended about 50% with a sample from AD2 using some room reverb. Kick is blended about 50% with a sample from AD2 as well. Rack and floor tom are 100% replaced -- all using Audio to MIDI plugin.

Three tracks of Vocals - recorded with a handheld SM57, processed with Waves CLA-2A, some Low cut from FF Pro-q 3, and driven with the Warm Tape setting in FF Saturn, with some H-Reverb for the end parts.

Waves MetaFlanger on the mix bus for the intro (along with some bandpass filtering). and some subtle flanging on the outro.

First time actually trying vocals in this style. The lyrics are inspired by my trippy dreams, practicing lucid dreaming, and living with medication.

Whatever you're smoking, please pass the bong :headbang

Kind of nuts that you did all that in less than a full weekend. Bastard! Is it the lucid dreaming? :idk

Major props for using/recording real drums. Kick ass from top to bottom. You definitely gave
me some kind of feelz. Not sure what to do with them, or what they are, but the intensity of
them was conveyed in spades.

:headbang

Good stuff! What gear did you use?
Thanks ๐Ÿ˜Š
Guitar is an Epiphone SG modern
Scarlett solo interface
I screwed around with logic proโ€™s amp designer for tone ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿป
I haphazardly recorded this yesterday just for shits and giggles.
I couldnโ€™t remember what or how I played this so today I attempted to solo over it and failed miserably.
To add something more I put some bass down today.
Honestly and most evidently Iโ€™ve never played bass before ๐Ÿ™„
The bass is low in the mix because of that lol.
The bass is an old Squier Affinity P-bass, again recorded with logic Amp Designer.

HELL YES!!!!!!!!!!

metal headbang GIF

That has a Mr. Bungle vibe that makes me really love it, I just lit right up. That's f*cking killer, man! Bonus cool points for using an actual kit!!! Outstanding, man!!

Thanks ๐Ÿ˜Š
Guitar is an Epiphone SG modern
Scarlett solo interface
I screwed around with logic proโ€™s amp designer for tone ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿป
I haphazardly recorded this yesterday just for s***s and giggles.
I couldnโ€™t remember what or how I played this so today I attempted to solo over it and failed miserably.
To add something more I put some bass down today.
Honestly and most evidently Iโ€™ve never played bass before ๐Ÿ™„
The bass is low in the mix because of that lol.
The bass is an old Squier Affinity P-bass, again recorded with logic Amp Designer.

Man, there's nothing mediocre about any of this; you did exactly what the challenge is aimed to do and stepped outside your normal thing and put some effort into something. There's no reason you can't keep working on it, either! A few of my submissions on the other forum are songs I ended up wanting to put on the 6-years in the making album I've been working on. :ROFLMAO:

Here's mine.

GEAR USED:
Drums: Beta Monkey loops & hits
Bass: 1994 Ibanez EXB445 w/Bartolini pups, Helix preset w/Stupor OD pedal, Soldano Lead Amp, Mesa 610 Bass Cali Cab
Guitar 1: 2017 Jackson JS22 Franken-7 (modded with Hipshot bridge, Nazgul bridge pup, Hipshot locking tuners)
Guitar 1 amp & FX: Helix preset w/Stupor OD pedal, Soldano Lead Amp, Mesa Cali V30 Cab
Guitar 2: 2017 Jackson JS22 Franken-7 (modded with Hipshot bridge, Nazgul bridge pup, Hipshot locking tuners)
Guitar 2 amp & FX: Helix preset w/Stupor OD, ANGL Meteor Amp, Ola Englund Mesa OS Cab IR
Guitar 3: 2020 Jackson HT7Pro Series DKNYw/Fishman Classics
Guitar 3 amp & FX: Helix preset w/Stupor OD, Das Bensen Mega (Deizel), Ola Englund Mesa OS Cab IR
Guitar 4: 2020 Jackson HT7Pro Series DKNYw/Fishman Classics
Guitar 4 amp & FX: Helix preset w/Stupor OD, German Ubersonic, Uber 412 V30 Cab

SFX: swiped off Youtube - taken original from the old horror movie Prince of Darkness

Guitars 1 & 2 panned left, 3 & 4 panned right

DAW: Garageband
Interface: Scarlet 2i2 gen 1.

I think that's it...

Jesus that was amazing on all fronts WOW :headbang

Hello, folks of TGF!

This is my submission to this week's challenge and my first post also here in TGF. Recorded this just today based on an unrecorded song idea I had way back in 2018.

Gear used:

Takamine acoustic
Charvel Dk24
Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Cakewalk Bandlab
Helix Native

Wow what a first post ,that was so good
the level of amazing guitar performance here has been amazing
ohh and welcome to this great small community called the gear forum

:chef

Last edited:

Fantastic Alex loved it :chef

Back