So.....

Axe FX III == Mad Max: The Road Warrior
Helix == Mad Max: Fury Road

Both are great.
Totally agree.

Another analogy I like is modelers are like fake boobs... they can be a lot of fun and can look great but the feel is a bit off but not so off to take you out of the experience.

Tube amps are like all natural boobs... also fun to play with, looks can be hit or miss depending on your tastes but the feel is totally right.
Obviously I ride with the Creed from The Office.... "All natural baby, Swing low sweet chariots". :grin:banana

Last edited:
I haven't read this whole thread but have read most of the posts up until around 300.

My 2 cents is I will always hate Cliff and Fractal because they turned the ~$500 baseline for modelling into.... 1200(?) for the 1st AxeFx in 2008 or whatever it was. I was a poor 20-something then and my grievances are abundant. I'll gladly pass them around they're so cheap.

So, ladies, who's excited to try out the Zoom G2 Four! Also, give me my 2 cents back. I need it.
Ironically, that was what I consider one of the most awesome things about Fractal.

They basically said, "How good could modeling be if we made quality of results be the primary requirement for our product and did not limit it by the price point?"

They took modeling to an entirely different level and showed the entire industry that if you made performance the key metric, users were willing to pay out for digital. It just had to be excellent. It enabled a lot of innovation to happen.

Last edited:
They took modeling to an entirely different level and showed the entire industry that if you made performance the key metric, users were willing to pay out for digital. It just had to be excellent. It enabled a lot of innovation to happen.

I have a vague recollection of reading an interview with someone from Line 6 (@Digital Igloo? Ben Adrian) noting that Helix would likely have never happened without Axe-FX, in the sense that its success proved there was a market out there for high price, premium modelling gear.

So been enjoying this Forum a lot lots of great folks and lots of laughs
as you Know I'm a Helix user, but I've come to notice a lot of folks here and a lot of discussions revolve around FAS, more so than any other modeler ....
have I crossed over to the Dark Side Forum wise

QpOG.gif

:guiness

Yeah - there seems to me more of a concentration of Fractal users. That'll probably change if the site continues to grow in popularity and attracts more "new" modeling users. My guess is they are more likely to buy something in the Helix line than anything else and will want to discuss their new toys.

But hopefully this site avoids that whole "fight club" atmosphere that dominated TGP for awhile.

I still like to read up and see what's new but I don't post much anymore. Mostly because I've figured out what works for me and already own and know how to use it. The only "modeling" gear I use is a Catalyst 100 and occasionally the DSM Simplifier. Turns out I just like guitar cabinets/amps and value analog style interfaces with limited options!

Yeah - there seems to me more of a concentration of Fractal users. That'll probably change if the site continues to grow in popularity and attracts more "new" modeling users. My guess is they are more likely to buy something in the Helix line than anything else and will want to discuss their new toys.

But hopefully this site avoids that whole "fight club" atmosphere that dominated TGP for awhile.

I still like to read up and see what's new but I don't post much anymore. Mostly because I've figured out what works for me and already own and know how to use it. The only "modeling" gear I use is a Catalyst 100 and occasionally the DSM Simplifier. Turns out I just like guitar cabinets/amps and value analog style interfaces with limited options!
Nah generally all good folk here and its a great social club, as for me I dont mind the content on Fractal either, or any other modelling platform its very interesting and Intriguing
and my OP was meant a s a joke you know kidding around :D

I have a vague recollection of reading an interview with someone from Line 6 (@Digital Igloo? Ben Adrian) noting that Helix would likely have never happened without Axe-FX, in the sense that its success proved there was a market out there for high price, premium modelling gear.
That might be overselling it a bit, but I'll admit that certain internal forces were extremely wary of Line 6 releasing a $1500 multieffect (3x the cost of our previous flagship) and may have been slightly less wary because of Axe-FX's price point. The rest of us simply recognized that there was no way forward at the $500 spot, even if Line 6 was historically viewed as a $500-level multieffects company. Helix was a huge risk for us back in 2015, and at one point the team was almost forced to scrap the whole thing and fast-track LT because $999 was a lot easier to swallow.

Helix was a huge risk for us back in 2015, and at one point the team was almost forced to scrap the whole thing and fast-track LT because $999 was a lot easier to swallow.
Seems the Internal powers that be were wrong based of the success of the Helix no ?
Helix Floor is easily as good as any Fractal Floor unit despite its lower price IMHO
and lets not even mention the other one ... which appearently is flying off the shelves despite under delivering

They were ultimately very wrong, but Helix was my first product as PM so there was no history of successful products to point to.
yup now the real challenge, where do we go from here? what can we do to top the Success of the Helix family?
many hours of brain storming id bet ..... (y)

I vote for high horespower DSP CPU, like musclecar territory, a lot of memory, make it expandable like slots in PC
im sure though that a Touchscreen and wireless would be in the works which benefits all the giging players
maybe smaller footprint with no integrated expression pedal
OLED Scribble strips, with larger display
improved GUI more eye candy please, maybe even ohhh shit i wont say it lest i delay the next upgrade

Back