So.....

I'm actively invested in hiding my playing behind delay and reverb to hide my averageness.

Proud Of You Yes GIF

I really appreciated that Helix had "User" libraries, so I could keep the factory ones steady and then make my own elsewhere. That's one thing I wish Fractal did.

I think I'm about to spend 2k on a synth. I fully expect 60% of the factory presets to be absolute arse.

I think I'm about to spend 2k on a synth. I fully expect 60% of the factory presets to be absolute arse.
Sure. They're not all gonna be what you want to hear, and many don't have real practical uses, but are instead included to demonstrate how things can be done.

I haven't read this whole thread but have read most of the posts up until around 300.

My 2 cents is I will always hate Cliff and Fractal because they turned the ~$500 baseline for modelling into.... 1200(?) for the 1st AxeFx in 2008 or whatever it was. I was a poor 20-something then and my grievances are abundant. I'll gladly pass them around they're so cheap.

So, ladies, who's excited to try out the Zoom G2 Four! Also, give me my 2 cents back. I need it.

I haven't read this whole thread but have read most of the posts up until around 300.

My 2 cents is I will always hate Cliff and Fractal because they turned the ~$500 baseline for modelling into.... 1200(?) for the 1st AxeFx in 2008 or whatever it was. I was a poor 20-something then and my grievances are abundant. I'll gladly pass them around they're so cheap.

So, ladies, who's excited to try out the Zoom G2 Four! Also, give me my 2 cents back. I need it.
Hmm, your post is number 105, unless this thread experienced a great cleansing by the mod's I'm not sure how that happened :grin

damn you and your facts.

In the other place, I had it set to 100 posts per page. Haven't done it here yet.

I'm still right.
Huh. It looks like those options are not enabled here while they are in the other place. But so have our gloriously dear leaders, in their inscrutable wisdom, decided thusly and so it is truth.

We're glad we left the other place. The authoritarianism over there, wow

Last edited:
My 2 cents is I will always hate Cliff and Fractal because they turned the ~$500 baseline for modelling into.... 1200(?) for the 1st AxeFx in 2008 or whatever it was.
I had to think long and hard when it came to dropping $2261 on an Axe III, especially when I could never seem to pull the trigger on an $1800 Tri Axis (my dream amp), but for all you get, it's cheap.

I had to think long and hard when it came to dropping $2261 on an Axe III, especially when I could never seem to pull the trigger on an $1800 Tri Axis (my dream amp), but for all you get, it's cheap.

Aye. I might not have believed you 5 years ago; but once I'd burned through a large amount of amps, pedals, speakers and cabs, the value proposition became readily apparent.

I'm still a talentless player though! (working on that)

Last edited:
It was always gonna to go there. POD HD500 originally sold for $499 and the margin wasn't great—we just desperately needed it to sell for less than $500. In 2012, we designed new footswitches for the upcoming Helix and a faster SHARC and slightly better LCD showed up for the same price; after presumably quite a bit of negotiation, the CM offered to retool POD HD500X for the same ex-factory cost. Had they not grandfathered us in, we would've had to have charged $699 for it, purely due to parts and labor cost increases over a mere 2-1/2 years.

After Helix dropped, a couple of trolls over in "The Other Place" INSISTED we could've (and should've) charged $499 for Helix. Because... reasons?

The reasons were they couldn't buy a clue for $499.

MI gear's gonna keep getting more expensive. This industry will never have run rates—and therefore pricing trends—anything like consumer electronics. Keep your Sweetwater catalogs for a few years (or find some old ones) and prepare to be shocked.

Music gear has always been expensive. When I was 17 years old a Diezel VH4 was literally the once-in-a-lifetime dream amp that I would never be able to afford, no matter how many rip off Adam Jones riffs I played to drunk arseholes who would rather hear ride the lightning bullshit. I got one when I was 34 years old.

That's a long time to wait, and I bought it 2nd hand!!

It was always gonna to go there. POD HD500 originally sold for $499 and the margin wasn't great—we just desperately needed it to sell for less than $500. In 2012, we designed new footswitches for the upcoming Helix and a faster SHARC and slightly better LCD showed up for the same price; after presumably quite a bit of negotiation, the CM offered to retool POD HD500X for the same ex-factory cost. Had they not grandfathered us in, we would've had to have charged $699 for it, purely due to parts and labor cost increases over a mere 2-1/2 years.

After Helix dropped, a couple of trolls over in "The Other Place" INSISTED we could've (and should've) charged $499 for Helix. Because... reasons?

The reasons were they couldn't buy a clue for $499.

MI gear's gonna keep getting more expensive. This industry will never have run rates—and therefore pricing trends—anything like consumer electronics. Keep your Sweetwater catalogs for a few years (or find some old ones) and prepare to be shocked.
Oh, I get all that. But scapegoating is the best outlet for my teapot tempest

Back