Sandwiches

We had a subway by work that gave us the OTJ 5 dollars for anything discount. Had double pastrami foot longs for a few years. It was good for what it was.
Pastrami on rye at Katz has to be a 25 dollar sandwich by now but THATS pastrami.
I would love to try Katz someday…and any other real sandwich shops around the country. I dig a great sammy…

I would love to try Katz someday…and any other real sandwich shops around the country. I dig a great sammy…
Katz is where it’s at but it’s also a tourist trap. Sarges on 3rd and 37th same sandwich, same price but you’ll get a seat on a weekend.

Anyone in NNJ, Dos Amigos is in West New York, NJ and makes one sandwich. It’s a steak sandwich with the fries on the sandwich. It just works. You can have cheese or no cheese and onions or no onions but thats about all the customization you get. A lot of folks don’t know about that place but everyone I’ve taken there has been back on their own.

A local NJ Italian staple is Calandras. Wholesale and retail bakeries and a couple restaurants. Marone let me tell you we got a loaf of their semolina bread for Sunday dinner, my wife made a sauce and meatballs and I made home made fresh 2 ingredient pasta from scratch. It was like heaven rained down perfection on the dining room table. Dip a little bread in the homemade jarred olives, we grate the Parmesan cheese right at the table. Bottle of wine.

They ate putzi before we gave them the gift of our cuisine. Most folks think Olive Garden is Italian food. Wonder bread wops, they are. That’s not Italian. It’s not even Italian American. It’s spaghetti at McDonald’s.
Calandras 👍
Now that’s some damned good bread !

I’m up north in Wanaque. Played AC quite a bit last summer, I dont think I saw pastrami once (or much good to eat at all in that town). Lots of quick check and Wawa stops on my way the hell out of there back home with stuff I shouldnt be eating and 7 monster drinks for the ride. Depending how late it was, I’d make it but would normally fizzle out somewhere over the Sayreville (Driscoll bridge?) bridge and route 3. State police dont reflect kindly on side of the road campers, especially ones dressed like clowns after a gig but that is a horse of a different color. BTW, I’m lookin hard at those precision monitors. Hearing lots of good things about them. Heard them shot out against a pair of Focals and they sounded better than they should have.
Freidman’s deli in Belmar used to make a great Pastrami sandwich .
I’m not sure if they’re still in business 🤷🏻

Freidman’s deli in Belmar used to make a great Pastrami sandwich .
I’m not sure if they’re still in business 🤷🏻
Belmars a trip from up here. Played Bar A last summer and there was a trump impersonator there. Dude was funny as all hell.

Yes! Feel free to PM suggestions. I typically try to pick up a bunch of stuff at Doris Italian grocery shop (they have a nice mortadella and the homemade Italian dishes are fantastic) but I'd like to branch out and sometimes want more than that. There was a nice Italian restaurant in Jacaranda that I enjoyed a couple times that I'll surely go back to next time. The sub shop I remember as being great was called Sharpie's but they closed a while back and weren't as good after they changed owners a bit before they were gone. I know Primanto Bros well as I lived in Pittsburgh for over a decade, I think they are good but a bit overhyped to be honest. Must be all the paid YouTubers hyping them like that guitar pedal that loads tone captures ;)

I think you are on the nose. Our guy in Long Island was supposed to join a call I was just on but he couldn't. I'll ask him if he's been there recently but I think it is 24 and change or 25 and change. I'll take you to Vegas next time I go :) OK, being a Jersey boy I'll take you to Atlantic City instead.

Hahahah my Primanti Bros experiences have all been at 2AM on the beach when I’ve had a few cocktails in me and need some after-gig food. There’s always a line out the door over there.

I was JUST trying to think of Sharpie’s name yesterday when writing my post! I was there when that place opened and lived off it, they’re the only subs that were on par with Laspada’s (where the subs give you meat sweats and after the pile the veggies on they pile another layer of meat over the top). When I get a little time I’ll shoot you a PM with some good joints. If you’re into Mexican food, there’s a bunch of really good stuff out East. It’s pretty much a straight shot across Sunrise Blvd from West to East, just drive fast through the Swap Shop area and you’ll be safe. :rofl

Honestly, I don't know why TGF even bothers with the concept of threads.

It is all just one big mélange.

David Lynch Sting GIF by Filmin
This man has never eaten a sandwich.

Subway, Eat Fresh™

They sent me home with this bad boy a few weeks ago. If it hadn't rolled over on the way out of the wrapper, exposing its seedy little underbelly, I'd probably have wound up in the emergency room.

Even after narrowly dodging a lawsuit, the manager balked at giving me my money back. I was too tired to fight about it, so I wound up with a couple of free sandwiches. What can I say? I really like tunafish. :idk

subway.jpg

Subway, Eat Fresh™

They sent me home with this bad boy a few weeks ago. If it hadn't rolled over on the way out of the wrapper, exposing its seedy little underbelly, I'd probably have wound up in the emergency room.

Even after narrowly dodging a lawsuit, the manager balked at giving me my money back. I was too tired to fight about it, so I wound up with a couple of free sandwiches. What can I say? I really like tunafish. :idk

View attachment 4630

Penicillin? Damn. :(

Back