NUX Trident

I think it's only for Worship bands though...

1685107688772.png

I keed I keed. it DOES sound pretty killer.

@2112 just uploaded a great review of the Trident. Man, NUX stuff sounds pretty damn good to my ears.

I'll check that out later today. I have been using a MG300 for the past few years, and always been a fan. I even have their Klon copy pedal.

I just got a Stomp XL a few weeks ago, so it hasn't seen much love lately, but as I'm getting up to speed on the XL, I've made up my mind to try a few different setups to add them together. The MG300 has a pretty good Marshall sound and I know there is a way to use the MG300 as a wah and volume pedal. Maybe setup a snapshot with no amp and just effects and use the Marshall sound from the MG300. Lots of options and limited time issues again:rolleyes:

So after watching a bunch of vids, I have to reserve any judgements until I can play around with one myself. @2112 vid was pretty thorough but not much about the unit itself made me feel like I "need" one. I may grab one just to try it out though. I love the layout, options, and footprint.

I'll check that out later today. I have been using a MG300 for the past few years, and always been a fan. I even have their Klon copy pedal.

I just got a Stomp XL a few weeks ago, so it hasn't seen much love lately, but as I'm getting up to speed on the XL, I've made up my mind to try a few different setups to add them together. The MG300 has a pretty good Marshall sound and I know there is a way to use the MG300 as a wah and volume pedal. Maybe setup a snapshot with no amp and just effects and use the Marshall sound from the MG300. Lots of options and limited time issues again:rolleyes:
I've tried the MG300 into the FX loop of a POD Go and the latency was pretty bad. Would be interested to hear your feedback on how it was with the Stomp.

I've tried the MG300 into the FX loop of a POD Go and the latency was pretty bad. Would be interested to hear your feedback on how it was with the Stomp.
I'll try it this weekend and let you know. From what I am reading so far, and very little out there, it may be better to run it direct into the input instead of the fancier options, but I'll let you know.

So far, I'm thinking Guitar>MG300>Stomp XL>Power Amp In on the effects loop return would be best for my setup. I have a Catalyst 200, so hopefully that will work as long as I dont over do any patches on the MG300, Like one preset for wah, one for amps only.

If you have any other ideas, or tired this way and it sucked, let me know.

@kartikg3 I finally got around to using the MG 300 as a wah and volume pedal with the Stomp XL and did not experience any latency that I could detect. It may be there, but if it was, it was so small I could not tell on either clean or dirty tones. Obviously YMMV, but so far it works great set up like this - Guitar>MG300>Stomp XL>Cat 200 Effects Loop Return on Power amp setting.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. Sorry it took a while, we were away at the beach last week.

@kartikg3 I finally got around to using the MG 300 as a wah and volume pedal with the Stomp XL and did not experience any latency that I could detect. It may be there, but if it was, it was so small I could not tell on either clean or dirty tones. Obviously YMMV, but so far it works great set up like this - Guitar>MG300>Stomp XL>Cat 200 Effects Loop Return on Power amp setting.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. Sorry it took a while, we were away at the beach last week.
Thanks! Maybe the firmware has improved things.

Some initial observations of my first few hours with the Trident:

-You can't turn the gain on the amps up. It gets too noisy even with NR on and hum buckers.
THIS IS THE WORST-When you hold down the boost button for the tuner, the boost momentarily clicks on! WHY?
THIS IS ALSO VERY BAD-When you hold down the reverb button for freeze effect, it turns the reverb off! WHY?

-The speaker high and low cuts aren't easy to get to on the main unit and they don't equal real life (ie: 800 and 8k etc..)
-The screen is very small and hard to read. Some of the fonts are microscopic.
-When switching patches, you can hear the effects popping on or off with a loud thud, repeat, repeat, repeat....
-Switching from factory presets to your own presets is WEIRD (and too easy to mess up) and it's true, you can't get rid of the factory stuff
-The Boost effects are bad. I mean think worst distortion box you can imagine bad.
-Tuner is slow to react and the display lines on the left and right for tuning are thin and hard to see
-It's strange to only be able to access certain items from switches and then the overflow items through the screen
-Overall amp modeling is sub-par compared to what I am used to (QC, Fractal, GT-1000, HX)
-Amp sims sound much alike, not much difference in any of them. Most of them are a buzzy mess.
-The layout of the effects order is backwards compared to every other modeler I've used
-There is a gap when switching between presets.
-The delays and reverbs do not carry over when switching presets.

Some good:
-When using the expression pedal as volume, the delay and reverb trails do continue.
-Princeton Reverb cleans sound awesome
-Amp EQ controls (under the screen) work well

Some initial observations of my first few hours with the Trident:

-You can't turn the gain on the amps up. It gets too noisy even with NR on and hum buckers.
THIS IS THE WORST-When you hold down the boost button for the tuner, the boost momentarily clicks on! WHY?
THIS IS ALSO VERY BAD-When you hold down the reverb button for freeze effect, it turns the reverb off! WHY?

-The speaker high and low cuts aren't easy to get to on the main unit and they don't equal real life (ie: 800 and 8k etc..)
-The screen is very small and hard to read. Some of the fonts are microscopic.
-When switching patches, you can hear the effects popping on or off with a loud thud, repeat, repeat, repeat....
-Switching from factory presets to your own presets is WEIRD (and too easy to mess up) and it's true, you can't get rid of the factory stuff
-The Boost effects are bad. I mean think worst distortion box you can imagine bad.
-Tuner is slow to react and the display lines on the left and right for tuning are thin and hard to see
-It's strange to only be able to access certain items from switches and then the overflow items through the screen
-Overall amp modeling is sub-par compared to what I am used to (QC, Fractal, GT-1000, HX)
-Amp sims sound much alike, not much difference in any of them. Most of them are a buzzy mess.
-The layout of the effects order is backwards compared to every other modeler I've used
-There is a gap when switching between presets.
-The delays and reverbs do not carry over when switching presets.

Some good:
-When using the expression pedal as volume, the delay and reverb trails do continue.
-Princeton Reverb cleans sound awesome
-Amp EQ controls (under the screen) work well
Hasan Minhaj Netflix GIF by Patriot Act

I tested the Trident for a couple of hours again this morning. Some new notes:

-in the software, there is no way to get to the Home Screen on the unit (that I can find at least)
-using the factory AC adapter is quieter than using a 1-Spot for power
-confirmed again that when holding down the BOOST button to get to the tuner, the BOOST function turns on for a split second
-IR management is quick and easy from the software
-Drive pedals under Boost are a mess. Noisy and thin-sounding.
-many of the amps are missing full controls. The pictures show more knobs, but the controls don't match up.
-the "SLO100" amp sounds decent for crunch and lead.
-the Marshall amp sims are extremely noisy
-reverbs are severely lacking. Needs shimmer for sure.
-there is no level adjustment for tremolo. When tremolo is on, the entire signal is louder.
-Para Follow. What is it and the manual mentions almost nothing about it. Same with Sense.
-renaming patches on the unit is not intuitive at all and there's no mention of it in the manual.
-in the editor, why are the effects arranged from right to left and they are showing as left to right on the actual unit?
-There is a popping sound between presets (clean to dirty and dirty to clean) if you aren't careful with your levels (like HX)

Last edited:
Back